• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Answer this question

Jamie

Till the roof comes off, till the lights go out...
trans-pan-demi-ethno-christian-math-autis-genderfluid-cheesecake
You'd have one coin left.

Classic riddle/joke; I remember it from elementary school.
But then he still lied about the US currency, unless we are including a 2 cent coin which hasn't been created since 1873, so I sure as **** hope he wouldn't throw that into the mix.

Batman

Not all those who wander are lost...
But then he still lied about the US currency, unless we are including a 2 cent coin which hasn't been created since 1873, so I sure as **** hope he wouldn't throw that into the mix.

I just then realized he mentioned "U.S. currency" in another comment. The OP by itself is fine, but why SMS later qualified it as US currency makes no sense.

Jamie

Till the roof comes off, till the lights go out...
trans-pan-demi-ethno-christian-math-autis-genderfluid-cheesecake
Also he said "how much" which would imply values. You don't ask someone "how much coins do I have?", you say "how many?".

The Joker

<span style="text-shadow:2px 2px 4px Purpl

Reminds me of the IQ test in Idiocracy.

"If you have one bucket that contains 2 gallons and another bucket that contains 7 gallons, how many buckets do you have?"

Batman

Not all those who wander are lost...
There are two variations on this riddle.

One is to say something like:

"You have two coins that equal 15 cents. You throw one of the coins away, so what do you have left?"

The person naturally is thinking of value and they'll be like "it's impossible to tell."

And then you're like "Nope, it is completely possible to tell. Think about it hard. What do you have left?"

The answer of course being "you only have one left" referring to the quantity of the coins themselves in possession.

The other variation is:

"You have two coins that equal 15 cents, and one isn't a nickel. So what are the two coins?"

The answer being "Well, the one that isn't a nickel is a dime, and of course the other is the nickel."

Curmudgeon

default setting: sarcastic prick
In order to achieve 52 cents in two coins, I am required to possess currency that has not been minted since 1873. If this is the case, the probable value of my coinage is almost certainly worth more than a mere half dollar.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff

Shoot. Well Batman got it right. See it is a trick question it shows how much adults complicate things. Had you asked a child this question they'd more than likely get the answer right by saying,“you have one coin left!” Children see the simplicity of the question. When asking an adult this question, and by implying that the coins equal to a certain amount adults will look at it as a question of either what type of coin is left, and how much one or the other costs.

Maybe the real answer to the question should be that maybe we should anaylse things from a simple standpoint first, then really start to ponder the question if a simple explanation doesn't exhist. There is no need to complicate something simple, but we do it anyway.

That was the whole point of the question. No I'm not stupid I know that using U.S. currency having two coins equal 52 cents is impossible. I did say the question is possible to answer with U.S. currency, it technically is, if you had two coins, threw one away you'd end up with one coin, this is certainly possible with any currency. Sure maybe I worded it weird, sorry, but I did that on purpose to get you all thinking about what the coins cost, and how much the coin you have left is after throwing one away.

Last edited:

Musicfan

the shadow mage
Shoot. Well Batman got it right. See it is a trick question it shows how much adults complicate things. Had you asked a child this question they'd more than likely get the answer right by saying,“you have one coin left!” Children see the simplicity of the question. When asking an adult this question, and by implying that the coins equal to a certain amount adults will look at it as a question of either what type of coin is left, and how much one or the other costs.

Maybe the real answer to the question should be that maybe we should anaylse things from a simple standpoint first, then really start to ponder the question if a simple explanation doesn't exhist. There is no need to complicate something simple, but we do it anyway.

That was the whole point of the question. No I'm not stupid I know that using U.S. currency having two coins equal 52 cents is impossible. I did say the question is possible to answer with U.S. currency, it technically is, if you had two coins, threw one away you'd end up with one coin, this is certainly possible with any currency. Sure maybe I worded it weird, sorry, but I did that on purpose to get you all thinking about what the coins cost, and how much the coin you have left is after throwing one away.
If you tell a riddle wording is key the way it is worded is to hint not throw off.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
I just then realized he mentioned "U.S. currency" in another comment. The OP by itself is fine, but why SMS later qualified it as US currency makes no sense.

It is totally possible to have two coins, and then throw one away which leaves you with one coin in U.S. currency. The whole point was to throw the “values” of the coin out the window, it was a trick. Maybe I shouldn't have said anything about U.S. currency though, I did screw up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom