• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

A Link to the Past Timeline Placement

Zemen

[Insert Funny Statement]
I always placed it after Wind Waker on my timeline, and, for now, I place the Seal War after Four Swords Adventures but I don't use developer quotes to justify my timeline theory.

I'm assuming you mean you place ALTTP after ST seeing as how PH is a direct sequel to WW and ST is a direct sequel to PH. It would be impossible for ALTTP to take place between WW and PH.

I'm assuming you mean you place ALTTP after ST seeing as how PH is a direct sequel to WW and ST is a direct sequel to PH. It would be impossible for ALTTP to take place between WW and PH.
That's what I meant. I don't think it could fit anywhere between WW and ST.

bbevington90

The Mask Salesman
I just don't understand how one can place ALttP after an un-flood of any kind, it's like forgetting everything that happened. Hyrule just goes back to normal, the MS is found and given a pedestal and placed in the Lost Woods, Lake Hylia just goes back to being Lake Hylia, another desert emerges, and a new Kakariko Village exists again? It just doesn't make too much sense to me. The only Hyrule-based games that could possible occur after ST is LoZ and AoL, seeing as how messed up and completely different their overworlds are, which would make sense after a flood of that magnitude washes away. Heck, AoL's map has a ton of water, none of it being Lake Hylia.

I'm also sorry if this has all been said, I quickly skimmed the other posts, and didn't pay too much attention.

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
The timeline was really not any real concern for the developers in the first four games. So material from the games themselves will not tie in perfectly with more recent games. There will be contradictions and things won't be a perfect fit. That's what you get when a series ends up being more successful than first anticipated and when certain aspects of it, theorizing, are more popular than initially predicted to be.

bbevington90

The Mask Salesman
The timeline was really not any real concern for the developers in the first four games. So material from the games themselves will not tie in perfectly with more recent games. There will be contradictions and things won't be a perfect fit. That's what you get when a series ends up being more successful than first anticipated and when certain aspects of it, theorizing, are more popular than initially predicted to be.

Which is exactly why the Seal War is so difficult to figure out, because it's never really been mentioned in anything other than ALttP, which came out 19 years ago in 1991, wayyy before anyone even thought about theorizing about timelines. It also doesn't mean we can just throw away in-game evidence and say, "Eh, never mind that, that game came out too long ago." You know? It's just frustrating cause of all the contradicting evidence, it can make people go nuts trying to figure this stuff out :S haha

I personally place ALTTP on the child timeline. The people of Hyrule in ALTTP seem to know there history, pretty well.

In the adult time, the flood wiped out any historical records. Only the legend of the Hero of Time survived, and the version of the Hero of Time story that was told in Wind Waker made no mention of the Sages.

And from what we've seen of the New Hyrule so far in ST, does not seem to connect to the Hyrule in ALTTP. Plus the Master Sword is at the bottom of the ocean.

If you admit to knowing that TWW is a sequel to OoT with no games taking place in between, then why do you place ALttP/LA between the two?! That makes no sense at all.

It seems to me like you find it impossible for any game to take place between OoT and TWW.

In the adult time, the flood wiped out any historical records. Only the legend of the Hero of Time survived, and the version of the Hero of Time story that was told in Wind Waker made no mention of the Sages.
And to that I reply with:
Wind Waker Intro said:
This is but one of the legends of which the people speak.

By the way, the sages were depicted in glass windows in Hyrule Castle.

True the Sages are depicted in windows in Wind Waker, but that doesn't mean that WW Link knew that they were Sages.

All in all it just seems like it's alot of work to try and make ALTTP work in the adult timeline.

Pinecove

Last Chance
I always believed aLttP was the first in the adult timeline

Impossible as TWW comes directly after OoT on the adult branch.

I personally place ALTTP on the child timeline. The people of Hyrule in ALTTP seem to know there history, pretty well.

You're implying here that OoT is the seal war however, which doesn't have to be the case.

Edit:

DuckNoises said:
I'm not exactly sure they're even referring to the Seal War in that quotation; it's definitely a strong guess, but I haven't seen the rest of the quote. They could be referring to the origins and characteristics of the Triforce, which are also told through legend in both OoT and ALttP. The phrase "a similar folk tale" makes me think that OoT contains a folk tale that is still present as a folk tale in ALttP, rather than the events of OoT becoming a folk tale in ALttP.
Could I have the link to the rest of that quote, please?

Hmmm that's actually a good interpretation. I WILL have to check this with the translator however to see whether this is the case.
That was the entire quote.

DuckNoises

Gone (Wind) Fishin'
How is it impossible for any game to take place in between OoT and TWW?
Well, it's not impossible, but it's highly unlikely that such a game will ever be made. This is probably because it wouldn't feature Link and most of it would consist of a big splash, and then people drowning. :P
I don't think it would sell very well.

Seriously, it is rather unlikely, because from what we know, the Hero of Time was absent from the end of OoT onwards, and the nearest Link to the Hero of Time (at least, as is implied) is the Hero of Winds, who appears sometime after the Great Flood.

Pinecove

Last Chance
How is it impossible for any game to take place in between OoT and TWW?

Many reasons, but one of them is that no hero appeared between OoT and TWW (hence why the people prayed to the hero of time, not some other hero). Unless you played as Ganondorf or something, no game can come between OoT and TWW.

Many reasons, but one of them is that no hero appeared between OoT and TWW (hence why the people prayed to the hero of time, not some other hero). Unless you played as Ganondorf or something, no game can come between OoT and TWW.

As bradley said, the first line of the prologue states:

This is but one of the legends of which the people speak.

and not:

After a few hundreds years, the only legend the people still speak of is...

I still think it's a possibility that a game could take place in between OoT and TWW.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom