• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

A Link to the Past Timeline Placement

Just a quick question here. Why do so many people place AlttP on the child timeline when every ounce of its back story seams to be referencing Oot? Because i'm sure at the time, nintendo intended Oot to be not only a prequel to the series but specifically an AlttP prequel. I just want to hear some explanations to why it should be on the child timeline rather than adult.

They developers may have originally intended for OoT to be the events of the Seal War (though they failed at making things match up), but that was before TWW and the split timeline crushed any chance of that being the case. OoT may be share many elements with ALttP's backstory, but it is definitely not the same event, and it's impossible for it to be. You just have to accept that the events of OoT happen to be very similar to the Seal War, though both are entirely separate events. The Seal War hasn't been represented in any Zelda game, and it probably never will be (and it doesn't need to be, either).

Satsy

~~SaturnStorm
Why is it not the case, though?

I mean you have the seal placed on the sacred realm (courtesy of the Master Sword), we have Ganon able to operate through people and such from beyond the Sacred Realm (Aganhim), the often-referred-to sacrificing of Link to revive Ganon which is a very possible reason he keeps coming back (and why those Links are never heard from again)... I find it'd be a lot stranger for the game to be referencing an extremely similar and yet completely different sealing of the sacred realm and the triforce which Ganon was gunning for than it being the same one loosely strung together later to make it fit.

Though in the same way it'd be a nice slice of headache trying to fit it into the adult timeline there just doesn't seem to be anything to support it really being in the child timeline either. Unless I'm missing something glaringly obvious (which I've been known to do, to be fair).

Why is it not the case, though?

I mean you have the seal placed on the sacred realm (courtesy of the Master Sword), we have Ganon able to operate through people and such from beyond the Sacred Realm (Aganhim), the often-referred-to sacrificing of Link to revive Ganon which is a very possible reason he keeps coming back (and why those Links are never heard from again)... I find it'd be a lot stranger for the game to be referencing an extremely similar and yet completely different sealing of the sacred realm and the triforce which Ganon was gunning for than it being the same one loosely strung together later to make it fit.

Though in the same way it'd be a nice slice of headache trying to fit it into the adult timeline there just doesn't seem to be anything to support it really being in the child timeline either. Unless I'm missing something glaringly obvious (which I've been known to do, to be fair).
Three words: The Wind Waker. Like I said, TWW crushed any chance of OoT being ALttP's backstory. TWW is confirmed to take place after OoT on the Adult Timeline, with no games in between. There's no room for ALttP at all. And even if TWW didn't exist, OoT still couldn't represent the Imprisoning/Seal War. Here's why, straight from Zelda Wiki:

1. It is said that the King of Hyrule commanded the Seven Sages to seal the Golden Land in the legends of the Imprisoning War. Even though it is never stated in the game, he is presumed dead, and the noncanonical manga states that the King indeed died in Ocarina of Time following Ganondorf’s assault on Hyrule Castle.
3. The story of the Imprisoning War states that there was no Hero found who could wield the Master Sword, yet Link obviously did discover the sword and wielded it in Ocarina of Time.
4. The Seven Sages are of all different races in Ocarina of Time despite that in A Link to the Past their descendants, the Seven Maidens all appear to be humanoid.
5. Ganondorf is sealed in the Sacred Realm with only one piece of the Triforce in Ocarina of Time. In the backstory for A Link to the Past, he steals all three pieces together and makes his wish on the united Triforce.
6. The Knights of Hyrule are not nearly as prominent in Ocarina of Time as they are in the Imprisoning War story. Only one knight is seen in a back alley, and though his dialogue indicates he was killed by Ganon, the battle waged by the Knights to protect the Sages does not appear in Ocarina of Time.
7. Ganon could not figure out how to return to the Light World after the seal was cast. Two sequels to Ocarina of Time, The Wind Waker and Twilight Princess both feature Ganon's return and death.

And there is evidence that supports a Child Timeline placement of ALttP. Looking at the status of the Master Sword throughout the games, you'll find that ALttP fits perfectly after TP in the Child Timeline. The Skyward Sword first becomes the Master Sword in SS, which predates OoT. Then, in OoT, we see the Master Sword in the Temple of Time. In TP, it's located in the ruins of the Temple of Time, which have since become overrun by forests. The only other game that features a canon Master Sword is TWW, which takes place on the Adult Timeline. ALttP can't come between OoT and TWW, and it can't come after TWW either, because the Master Sword is stuck in Ganondorf's stone body deep beneath the Great Sea, hidden forever with old Hyrule. So the only place ALttP can go is in the Child Timeline, sometime after TP, where it fits very well. The Temple of Time was nothing but ruins in TP, so it would make sense that by the time of ALttP, the place was completely overrun by forests, explaining the Master Sword's location in the Lost Woods. It's obvious that that's the connection that Nintendo was trying to make when they made TP.

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
OoT is definately no longer the SW. The release of WW followed by the original intent of FSA being the SW is proof of that. However, I think the evidence for LttP being AT or CT is about even. TP shows intent for the MS coming to be in the woods, while WW sets up for the SW by making it difficult for the sages to find the MS.

OoT is definately no longer the SW. The release of WW followed by the original intent of FSA being the SW is proof of that. However, I think the evidence for LttP being AT or CT is about even. TP shows intent for the MS coming to be in the woods, while WW sets up for the SW by making it difficult for the sages to find the MS.
The Master Sword isn't just difficult to find in the Adult Timeline, it's GONE. It's sealed away with old Hyrule under the Great Sea, stuck in Ganondorf's dead stone body. There's absolutely no reason to believe that Hyrule would somehow unflood for no reason, and the Master Sword be removed from Ganondorf's body and placed in the Lost Woods. Everything's already set up for ALttP after TP, while things are completely against it after TWW.

Zemen

[Insert Funny Statement]
This is minor and I'm just throwing a small bit of evidence in and seeing how the SW is so unclear based on created games I like this idea.

The Master Sword progression works perfectly on the child timeline. In OoT the MS is in its pedestal the ToT. In TP the MS is in its pedestal the ruins of the ToT with the lost woods growing around the area. In ALTTP the MS is in its pedestal in the lost woods. It's progression couldn't have been planned better than that, and for all we know it was planned that way as evidence.

PhantomTriforce

I am a Person of Interest
Take a look at my timeline in my sig. I feel that the correct place for a ALttP is in between OoT and WW (I know it has been confirmed that WW is a direct sequel). As you say, its backstory refers to the events of OoT.

Take a look at my timeline in my sig. I feel that the correct place for a ALttP is in between OoT and WW (I know it has been confirmed that WW is a direct sequel). As you say, its backstory refers to the events of OoT.
If you admit to knowing that TWW is a sequel to OoT with no games taking place in between, then why do you place ALttP/LA between the two?! That makes no sense at all.

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
The MS isn't gone on the AT. It's just at the bottom of the ocean much like the ToC and other treasures were. I agree however that the obvious progression in TP seems to be a better indicator of intent (probably just about the only reason I still have it on the CT), though Argent (ZI) pointed out that the end of the game shows the location of the MS becoming more known rather than lost as required by the SW.

Phantom, as we said, it no longer refers to the events of OoT. It is also impossible for a game to come between OoT and WW. Ganon is sealed in the SR until just before the flood, and he is then sealed in the 'flood seal' until WW. There's no room for him to find the Triforce and get killed.

Pinecove

Last Chance
I'm just going to throw this out here to mess all of you up: Nintendo has confirmed OoT as the Seal war as recently as 2007. That's after the release of TWW and TP.

Pinecove

Last Chance
ゲーム中に登場する人物の名前が、ディスクシステムソフト『リンクの冒険』に出てくる街の名前と同じだったり、『神々のトライフォース』で語られる昔話に似たような展開があったりと、これまでのシリーズをやってきた人を楽しませてくれる仕掛けが登場します。このほかにも、ファンなら思わずニヤリとしてしまう小ネタがあるかもしれません。
"The names of [some of] the people who appear in the game come from the same names of the towns from the Disk System Software game "Adventure of Link," and there is an *expansion/development to/of a similar folk tale* to be told in "Triforce of the Gods" that appears as a gimmick (lit. "contrivance," thing created for a particular purpose) pleasing to those who have enjoyed the series so far."

Here ya go. Whether this means OoT is the ENTIRE Seal war or whether it's only part of it, is up for debate.

DuckNoises

Gone (Wind) Fishin'
Here ya go. Whether this means OoT is the ENTIRE Seal war or whether it's only part of it, is up for debate.
I'm not exactly sure they're even referring to the Seal War in that quotation; it's definitely a strong guess, but I haven't seen the rest of the quote. They could be referring to the origins and characteristics of the Triforce, which are also told through legend in both OoT and ALttP. The phrase "a similar folk tale" makes me think that OoT contains a folk tale that is still present as a folk tale in ALttP, rather than the events of OoT becoming a folk tale in ALttP.
Could I have the link to the rest of that quote, please?

I always placed it after Wind Waker on my timeline, and, for now, I place the Seal War after Four Swords Adventures but I don't use developer quotes to justify my timeline theory.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom