• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

3DS- Your Thoughts

Pardon me for saying, but those of you that haven't bought one, why are you posting? You have nothing to add. And the people that haven't bought it and are saying that they can't add anything to the thread because of it, don't you have something better to do than post worthless crap?

Anyway, I got my 3DS. My brother got a 3DS and I love every aspect of it.

Two problems. The 3D I can only stand on full power for about 10 minutes. And Nintendo encouraged us to play with the slider, so I turned the 3D all the way off, then slowly added to the 3D, and if hell hurts your eyes at all, that's how it feels. Slowly adding to the 3D is the worst feeling I've ever experienced. Don't do it. Either have the 3D off, on, or halfway before you start anything with any amount of 3D in it. Lowering the 3D, however, doesn't hurt that much. It doesn't ease the pain, however. It just merely doesn't hurt any more than before.

Second problem: The library right now sucks ***. Only game worth getting at all right now is Pilotwings Resort. That game is fun, but it should have came bundled with each system instead of a stand-alone game. It's small, and gimmicky. If they wanted to show off the system's power better, they should have bundled it in. It's a good game, don't get me wrong, but there's so little to do in it that the money isn't worth it in the slightest. (Not that I paid for it :P) 3DS has amazing games planned, but right now, nothing is even mildly worth getting.

Another minor problem for me is the battery life sucks. I don't play it very often, and I'm normally nearby my charger when I do, so that's not a huge issue, but I played my system for 30 minutes straight out of the box and it powered off.

The rest of the features are amazing. The new Mii features are incredible, you can really make awesome looking Miis now. Unfortunately, the Mii-camera feature doesn't work all that well, and has crappy results, so you'd be better off starting from scratch if you want to make a Mii.

The Augmented Reality cards are awesome. They're so much fun to play with, however, the character cards can only be used for one feature, and that's statues. That feature is cool, but I figured that each card would have its own game to play. Nope, they're just used in one of the mini-games for the "?" card.

Cabbage

Supreme Vegetable Ruler
Pardon me for saying, but those of you that haven't bought one, why are you posting? You have nothing to add. And the people that haven't bought it and are saying that they can't add anything to the thread because of it, don't you have something better to do than post worthless crap?
No, actually, I don't. And it's fun to post worthless crap!
Just watch me get a bad rep for this.

Skull_Kid

Bugaboo!
I got my 3DS and Street Fighter the day it came out, and boy, it's amazing. The people who were saying that it's just an over-fancy dsi are in seriously need of checking their mental health. Of course it plays DS games, that's called retrocompatibility.
If it was just an over-fancied DSi, we wouldn't have a much more powerful graphical processor, and all the other things. It's they typical thing that people who can't afford it say just to calm themselves while they can't buy it, and, I bet that when they do, they talk about how awesome the 3DS is, instead

Celeboy

Collecting Dust
Second problem: The library right now sucks ***. Only game worth getting at all right now is Pilotwings Resort. That game is fun, but it should have came bundled with each system instead of a stand-alone game. It's small, and gimmicky. If they wanted to show off the system's power better, they should have bundled it in. It's a good game, don't get me wrong, but there's so little to do in it that the money isn't worth it in the slightest. (Not that I paid for it :P) 3DS has amazing games planned, but right now, nothing is even mildly worth getting.

First thing, It only came out 2 weeks ago. Second thing, It probably takes a while to make 3D games. And third thing, Street Fighter is an amazing game with awesome replay value and if you're into collecting awards, there are some pretty hefty things you have to do to unlock them all. There is also the street pass thing that rocks! Also, Samurai Warriors, despite the fact it got low scores, is a challenging, fun and intrepid expiriance. The battles are never the same, the button-mashing doesn't matter because you ignore it, it's stupidly fun watching all the helpless foot soldiers getting absolutly crippled and Nene (the ninja) can change into anyone nearby, which is just cool!

So, I hope you have see the error of you're misguided ways about the games.

Michael Heide

The 8th Wise Man
I got mine about a week ago. This is not just a DS with 3D graphics, this is an HD DS, the 3D is just bonus. It was time for a DS sucessor that had graphics at least on par with the PSP, and the 3DS fits that bill perfectly.
Yes, there aren't that many games out. Yet. But there are good games for almost every taste. There's a platformer (Rayman), a Beat 'em Up (Street Fighter), a racing game (Ridge Racer), a puzzle game (at least in the US: Puzzle Bobble Universe, with a PAL-release in less than two weeks), there's action (Samurai Warriors), stealth (Splinter Cell), sports (Pro Evolution Soccer) and niche titles like Super Monkey Ball, Nintendogs, Pilotwings and the Sims.

Yes, the 3DS still needs RPGs (several are already announced), Action-Adventures (ditto), survival horror (ditto), shmups (ditto). But there hasn't been a console or handheld console ever that had games from every genre in its starting lineup. And yes, I completely understand those that want to wait because of this.

I didn't wait, and I don't regret that decision. The AR games (particularly Face Raiders) are a lot of fun, collecting Street Fighter statues is awesome, and I get a huge kick out of the Mii Plaza and the puzzle mini-game (I completed the Zelda panel this past weekend).

Now of course there's critique as well. First of all, the battery pack doesn't last very long. This is okay when you're near the charger, but if you can't bring the charger along on a two- or three-day trip, don't expect much mileage out of the 3Ds.

Then it's really time for Nintendo to give us the Browser and the Shop. I'm not asking for a rushed Link's Awakening or other 3D games, but it's ridiculous that you can't even play DSiWare on the 3DS. And why can't you use the 3DS WiFi connection with old DS games? Why do you have to use the inbuilt DS emulator with its WPA/WPA2 incompatibility?

But all in all, the 3DS is a great handheld, even without those features.

athenian200

Circumspect
a place of settlement, activity, or residence.
Why do you have to use the inbuilt DS emulator with its WPA/WPA2 incompatibility?

Does the inbuilt DS emulator allow you to modify the connection settings? If so, there shouldn't be a problem... the DSi actually IS compatible with WPA and WPA2, but you have to go into Advanced settings to use it, and it only works if you set it up as Connection 4-6. The option is there, but it's hidden. I know this because my wireless router uses these authentication protocols.

These options were probably originally hidden to make it easier to set up for non-geeks who just purchased the DS wireless USB adapter thing, but then that went out of production, and now you HAVE to have a wireless router or you're screwed.

Anyway, the DSi now supports, in addition to WEP: WPA-PSK(TKIP), WPA2-PSK(TKIP), WPA-PSK(AES), WPA2-PSK(AES).

Read this:

http://www.filesaveas.com/nintendodsi.html

It claims that it doesn't work with online games if you do this, but Pokemon and a few others at least seem to work fine with it.

I can't imagine that they would decide to emulate only the original DS, and not the DSi's wireless settings...

Last edited:

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
Does the inbuilt DS emulator allow you to modify the connection settings?
It's not in the emulator. It's in the main settings for the 3DS. In the connection settings you set up connections for the 3DS itself, and one for all DS games, which is then loaded into the emulator whenever a compatible game is run. You can edit the settings however much you want. Though I haven't tried to set it up for WPA, I personally do not like that kind of protection, too buggy for my tastes.

OcarinaSword

Never Give up
Well i have not got it yet, but i checked out my friends one and it was really cool i like lots of the features on it and some of the games it comes with. also i like the feature how when you walk with it when the lid is closed it counts points/steps. and every 100 steps you get 1 coin which is really cool.

Dr3W21

shoegaze girl
Really, the 3D has hurt your eyes? I've been fine with it for hours on end!
I'd have to agree entirely. My friend Isaiah keeps telling me how it can hurt your eyes, but I've found no trouble so far...

In any case, I absolutely love the 3DS. Despite the fact that you have to stay in the same position for the 3D to work, and it's MUCH easier to see with the 3D OFF, it's pretty amazing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom