• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Kaepora Gaebora is the the Sage Of?

KaeporaGaebora

TheOwlSage
I've gone through OoT and MM again and I started thinking of Kaepora Gaebora. He never mentioned he is a sage but a gossip stone gossips about it. But they never tell what he is the sage of. He is a very mysterious*owl and gives you advise that noone seems to use or even pay attention to. I had thought of this and wondered what he is the sage of. I think he could possibly be the sage of light because he and Rauru are never really explained in depth like the rest of the sages (excluding Nabooru) so I came to the conclusion that the light sage has no connection with the hero of time until the hero of time can be the hero of time. What do you guys think? Light, Forest, Fire, Water, Shadow or Spirit?

I read somewhere that he is believed to be the Sage of Light, but I'm not sure.

The sages were something that always confused me, thats how I understood it.

Prior to OoT there were 7 very wise people who decided to build the Temple of time. They were called the ancient sages. One of them was Rauru. They all died (except Rauru who was in the sacred realm). One of them was reincarneted as Kaepora Gaebora. The others took the form of the sages from TP. Because in this form they don't have the same power as in a living form Link had to awake knew ones in OoT. In my opinion they then fuse with the ancient ones. Because of this Kaepora Gaebora can't be seen after his successor was awaken. This only leaves Spirits and whatever sage Zelda was if i remeber correctly.

Elvenknight

HyrulianBlackcat
The sages were something that always confused me, thats how I understood it.

Prior to OoT there were 7 very wise people who decided to build the Temple of time. They were called the ancient sages. One of them was Rauru. They all died (except Rauru who was in the sacred realm). One of them was reincarneted as Kaepora Gaebora. The others took the form of the sages from TP. Because in this form they don't have the same power as in a living form Link had to awake knew ones in OoT. In my opinion they then fuse with the ancient ones. Because of this Kaepora Gaebora can't be seen after his successor was awaken. This only leaves Spirits and whatever sage Zelda was if i remeber correctly.

I think Zelda was the leader, not belonging to any faction or whatever.

I think Zelda was the leader, not belonging to any faction or whatever.

Zelda said:
Link, give the Ocarina to me... As a Sage, I can return you to your original time with it.

Not only Zelda refers to herself as a sage, she also says this gives her the ability to send Link back in time(this is why some people theorize her to be the sage of time)

Justeazy

Todo is the pfuf!
I've always kind of thought that (going to get hated on here, for this, probably) the gossip stones got this one wrong. At least a little.

I mean, have you ever played the telephone game? Things travel from mouth to ear and get lost in translation. By the time a stalfos has limped all the way back to the sacred forest meadow where that particular gossip stone is located the actual meaning of the message could have been lost. Very similar to how the triforce itself is called "Triumph Forks" by most in Wind Waker.

Since he knows so much and he helps you in your journey by enlightening you about what is to come and that which has been, it has always been my personal opinion that, instead of being the reincarnation of an ancient sage, he is, in fact, the reincarnation of an ancient wielder of the triforce of wisdom, perhaps the original.

Think about it, his role in relation to the hero of time more closely resembles that of the hero of time. The sages all need to be saved, Saria from Phantom Ganon, Darunia from Volvagia, Ruto from Morpha, Nabooru from Twinrova, and Impa from Bongo Bongo. (Also, later, Zelda from Ganondorf; though she is also the weilder of the Triforce of Wisdom, which comes in later.)
However, Kaepora Gaebora's character seems more like that which would do the saving, or at least the helping of the one who would do the saving. This is further emphasided in the game. He helps you travel more efficiently (ie flying you from death mountain/lake hylia) and Zelda (the current person the Triforce of Wisdom chooses; in this game), when escaping the castle, opens the gates so you can continue travelling. He teaches you many things, as does Zelda.
Simply put, even though he is told to be the reincarnation of a sage, he seems more likely to in fact be a reincarnation of someone connected to the Triforce of Wisdom, as his character development much more closely follows that standard.

This is all speculation and has not been backed up by any official (or non-canon, that I know of) content, but it is just how it makes the most logical sense, in my opinion.

Justeazy

Todo is the pfuf!
That would be a possibility, but I wouldn't consider it part of my theory. His character, interactions, and direct actions do closely (in my mind) resemble a connection to the Triforce of Wisdom.

The only viable connections I see to him being the Sage of Time and/or leader of the sages (not counting the Gossip Stone) are that:
He's managed to avoid Ganondorf for seven years. Although he was helping the Hero of Time and Ganondorf would want that stopped, there is no evidence that he knew of the owl's presence or actions.
He's aware of Link's 7 year slumber and follows him once again. Though he never gives any more advice. Although, it could be just because he had nothign better to do, you know, without a mate and all.... (here I go rambling again)

An interesting thing SUPPORTING that he's a sage of time, is the fact that he can see link's travel through time in the past, as indicated outside the Spirit Temple when he says:
Hey, what's up, Link?
Surprised to see me?
A long time in this world is
almost nothing to you, is it?
How mysterious!
Even I thought that the tales of a
boy who could travel back and
forth through time was merely a
legend.
Link, you have fully
matured as an adult.

I do hold it as a possiblility that he is indeed both, but it's not my theory that he is NOT a reincarnated sage, but rather he IS a reincarnated triforce weilder, regardless of what else he is(was) or isn't(wasn't).

Justeazy might just be right.

I used to wish the owl was a reincarnation of Kasuto. Remember that town in Zelda II (AoL)? Well, Kasuto was the only town in that game that didn't share a name with a given OoT Sage. Many theorists have suggested that, chronologically, the towns in AoL were named after the OoT sages and stuff.

I used to wish there was a scenario in which Kasuto wasn't included in the OoT Sages 7, because he was a rebel or a renegade and defected. This, however, is very fanfiction-y. :/

I think they'll pull something sneaky and Kaepora turns out to be a reincarnation of Debbie. ...eh, how fabulous would that be?

DuckNoises

Gone (Wind) Fishin'
An interesting thing SUPPORTING that he's a sage of time, is the fact that he can see link's travel through time in the past, as indicated outside the Spirit Temple when he says:

I do hold it as a possiblility that he is indeed both, but it's not my theory that he is NOT a reincarnated sage, but rather he IS a reincarnated triforce weilder, regardless of what else he is(was) or isn't(wasn't).
The reason he was able to evade Ganondorf for so long is because Rauru lives inside the Sacred Realm, where there is no evil up until ALttP. His ability to see Link through time is likely from the fact that the Sacred Realm appears to be independent of time, hence how Rauru has lived for so long (as some call him an "ancient" sage). Because Rauru has a direct connection to the Sacred Realm, it is probable that he has a form of connection with the Triforce and those who possess fragments; this does not necessarily mean that he has a Triforce fragment. Some have suggested that Rauru exists outside the Sacred Realm as Kaepora Gaebora, including the Gossip Stone, particularly because they both watch over the Hero of Time. This is also a possibility of how Rauru manages to keep an eye on the Hero of Time while he is in the Sacred Realm, if Rauru is indeed Kaepora Gaebora. If they are the same individual, then this is probably because Rauru does not die inside the Sacred Realm because it seems to be independent of time. This would then mean that Rauru's normal body has decayed and is long-gone outside of the Sacred Realm, so he likely exists as a mortal entity, whom many people believe is Kaepora Gaebora.
I believe that Rauru is the Sage of Light; this is because whenever you meet a sage in OoT, you receive a Medallion corresponding to their element. When you meet Rauru in OoT, you receive the Light Medallion.

OoT said:
You received the Light
Medallion!
Rauru the Sage adds his power
to yours!

There is also similarity with the other Sages in that each Sage resides in the Temple of their corresponding element; I can see why you would expect Rauru to be the Sage of Time for this very reason, because it is confusing. This is because the Temple of Light exists in the Sacred Realm, which is inside the Temple of Time.
Rauru said:
This is the Chamber of Sages,
inside the Temple of Light...
The Temple of Light, situated in
the very center of the Sacred
Realm, is the last stronghold
against Ganondorf's evil forces.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
I read somewhere that he is believed to be the Sage of Light, but I'm not sure.

That's simply a misunderstanding by many fans. Two Gossip Stones talk about Keapora Gaebora. One says he's the re-incarnation of an ancient sage. The other says that despite how big he is, he's very light-hearted. Many people just remember the "sage" and "light" part and combine them, thinking one Gossip Stone says he is the reincarnation of a Sage of Light, or things like that.

Justeazy

Todo is the pfuf!
Ducky: I'm talking about Kaepora Gaebora, not about Rauru. You quoted my post talking about the annoying owl but then your reply makes no sense unless you think I was talking about Rauru somehow.... =/
So I'm a little confused. If your theory is that Rauru is Kaepora Gaebora then more power to you.
I believe that Rauru is the Sage of Light
I believe the same thing. I'm pretty sure that much is obvious even if it's not stated in so many words. But then you say
I can see why you would expect Rauru to be the Sage of Time for this very reason, because it is confusing.
First off, I said that supports the theory that Kaepora Gaebora is the Sage of Time, not Rauru (I still don't know where you're getting this from). Secondly, my theory was that Kaepora Gaebora is connected to the Triforce of Wisdom, I was simply stating that this doesn't mean he is or isn't the sage. As one doesn't mean exclusion form the other.

A reply would be appreciated, as I'm very confused by your response.... :/

SuperGleeok64

For the Greater Good.
I believe Kaepora Gaebora is the sage of really annoying owl creatures who like to talk. Not really. Since one of the gossip stones says he is a reincarnation of an ancient sage he could be the sage of Light, Spirit, Shadow, etc., etc. He could be the reincarnation of a Sage of Wind of sorts that is no longer actually needed. The world may never know....

pupairo12

Skyward Sword Anticipator
I believe there was a theory that Nayru is also the Goddess of Time. So, anyone with relation with the triforce of wisdom would have some sort of influence over time. For example, Zelda. If Kaepora Gaebora really is associated with the Triforce of Wisdom like Justeazy says, he could in fact be the sage of time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom