• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Zelda RPG Idea

DvSag

The Void in the Triforce
Because, ok, assuming Hyrulians live to be 80 on average, and Link at the end of OoT is... let's say 18, then that leaves at least 42 years for the Godesses to just forget about birthing a new ToC bearer, or finding anyone with potential to be a new ToC bearer.

It's not like Link is old in any of his games. Link's defeated Ganon at ages where normal kids wouldn't even understand algebra. How can the Goddesses be expected to just forget about their homework of making a new ToC bearer every century or so, and try to pencil in a quick flood last minute?

Ganon needs to come back quickly for this to work.

Zemen

[Insert Funny Statement]
Because, ok, assuming Hyrulians live to be 80 on average, and Link at the end of OoT is... let's say 18, then that leaves at least 42 years for the Godesses to just forget about birthing a new ToC bearer, or finding anyone with potential to be a new ToC bearer.

It's not like Link is old in any of his games. Link's defeated Ganon at ages where normal kids wouldn't even understand algebra. How can the Goddesses be expected to just forget about their homework of making a new ToC bearer every century or so, and try to pencil in a quick flood last minute?

Ganon needs to come back quickly for this to work.

ok then here is an easy fix. 120 years after OoT is when Ganondorf breaks out. the game will only take place over the course of a week or so. Ganondorf only has his minions running about and no one even knows that he has escaped they just think that a bunch of random monsters are attacking. when the heroes get to the source of the monsters they find ganondorf (like a twist ending). because Ganondorf himself wasnt actually attacking, the goddesses didnt even notice he was free. because of this and the fact that there was no threat til recently, there is no ToC bearer and there wasnt enough time for them to find a new one (because they only need one when times are bad but there was peace so they didnt bother to find a new one). when ganondorf is left to die at the end, he emits so much power from the ToP to try and make one last attack on Hyrule that the goddesses are forced to flood Hyrule along with him because there just wasnt enough time to find a ToC bearer. technically, your rebuttal could be used as a canonical question. when Ganondorf returned as the BS for WW says, how come there was no new ToC bearer to fight him and why did they flood Hyrule? they had just as much time then as they do in my story to find a ToC bearer but they dont.

DvSag

The Void in the Triforce
My arguement isn't a canonical arguement because your story isn't canon; so my rebuttal isn't working solely because your story is a fanfic with story elements that you refuse to drop. Though I am trying to help make it work as canon.

The other OBVIOUS way for this to work is to just remove the character of the male Gerudo. It's a good element, and really interesting (I too have always wondered why there's only ever been one male Gerudo in Zelda history), but it just isn't working. Why not just use a female Gerudo? It's easy, and leaves far less gaping holes. Because even if Ganon never stepped into the picture until late, isn't that more or less what happened in TP? There was a Link in that instance, and no one really knew that Ganon was behind it all until way way way way late.

Zemen

[Insert Funny Statement]
My arguement isn't a canonical arguement because your story isn't canon; so my rebuttal isn't working solely because your story is a fanfic with story elements that you refuse to drop. Though I am trying to help make it work as canon.

The other OBVIOUS way for this to work is to just remove the character of the male Gerudo. It's a good element, and really interesting (I too have always wondered why there's only ever been one male Gerudo in Zelda history), but it just isn't working. Why not just use a female Gerudo? It's easy, and leaves far less gaping holes. Because even if Ganon never stepped into the picture until late, isn't that more or less what happened in TP? There was a Link in that instance, and no one really knew that Ganon was behind it all until way way way way late.

im not arguing the canonicalness of my fanfic. the BS for WW said that Ganondorf returned but the hero of time did not and it never mentions or hints to another ToC bearer. that means that there was absolutely no ToC bearer to stop him just as there is no ToC bearer in my idea. my story takes place during the time of the BS of WW which means that me saying there is no ToC bearer is canon because the BS for WW all but confirms that.

just because there is no ToC bearer does not mean there cant be another male Gerudo and it doesnt mean that there cant be others who try to save the world (but ultimately fail). i dont see what youre arguing because im using the canon BS for WW as my guidelines. regardless of how you argue this, there was never another ToC bearer after OoT until WW Link went on his adventure. that means that regardless of what you argue, the goddesses didnt do their job and they didnt bestow it upon anyone, even when ganondorf escaped. im sorry that you think it doesnt work but it does because this is all fact.

not sure if this helps at all but in another thread, someone said that the goddesses dont choose who gets the pieces of the triforce. the triforce pieces themselves choose who they think best suits the piece. not sure how true that is.

Last edited:

DvSag

The Void in the Triforce
Well here's the thing. It says that the people of Hyrule prayed for the Hero to come back. If the people were praying for someone to return, don't you think they'd still think him to be alive? I'm pretty sure someone realized that it was Link doing all that rescuing in OoT. Sure, some of them may have thought he was a god, but others, like Malon for instance, must have realized he ages, so must therefore be human.

Zemen

[Insert Funny Statement]
Well here's the thing. It says that the people of Hyrule prayed for the Hero to come back. If the people were praying for someone to return, don't you think they'd still think him to be alive? I'm pretty sure someone realized that it was Link doing all that rescuing in OoT. Sure, some of them may have thought he was a god, but others, like Malon for instance, must have realized he ages, so must therefore be human.

the BS also says that the boy traveled through time. this means that it doesnt matter that hes a human because they know him to be a time traveler which means that they may think he could travel to their time to save them. he is the hero of TIME afterall.

Hanyou

didn't build that
I like the idea of a Zelda RPG that doesn't necessarily include Link and extends the canon. It's just the kick in the pants the whole franchise to find something new and fresh, and RPGs would be new territory (as far as I'm aware) for Nintendo. I may be warm to the idea in part because I had similar thoughts awhile back about a possible Zelda RPG that would take place during the Hylian/Sheikah alliance a few years ago. Plotwise, it was very different from yours so I may make a thread about it, though I don't want to be accused of ripping you off. Regardless, not all stories about Hyrule need be Zelda games--some can be just as effective, just as resonant, if they take a different path. The flood, being as pivotal as it is, would be a great place to start.

I do have at least one gripe. I disagree with you about Ritos evolving from the Zoras, and I just wanted to take note of that--though that's for another thread. Another thing I'd be careful of is that I worry this ties too closely with The Wind Waker. What I mean is, if this were a real game, I'd be critical of how much it tries to reconcile OoT and TWW, in a style almost reminiscent of the Star Wars prequels. That's not to say it's mediocre, but that this game as imagined would need to stand on its own so that it could offer more to the universe without overcompensating. Given the synopsis, it seems to overcompensate just a bit for my taste. Of course, it's just a synopsis of a game that doesn't exist, so I could very well be misjudging.

I do like the twist on RPG cliches--what makes a good JRPG story in my book is that it can successfully manage those cliches, turn them into something new. Take Skies of Arcadia. You had your meek, mysterious character, your pirates, your power character...I don't want to spoil the game for those who haven't played it, but it's chock-full of well-managed cliches. Your synopsis doesn't avoid these things. What it does is put a unique "Zelda" twist on them.

One last thing. Some fans overplay the "dark" aspects of the franchise, forgetting that it's also got a lot of quirky humor. This doesn't seem to fall into the "graaaaaahhhh! GIVE US AN M-RATED ZELDA!" category. The inclusion of a deku scrub and a Kokori is ingenious, and would probably help keep the game light. From what I've read, your hypothetical game wouldn't take the series down the boring, adolescent, angsty path of darkness and endless "mature" content, even though your plot deals with fate and apocalypse. For that, you should be commended!

Zemen

[Insert Funny Statement]
thanks for the feedback! your post was the definition of constructive criticism which i like. i guess i never really thought of the quirkiness of having a deku and a kokiri but im really glad you pointed it out. the deku could be like the comic relief guy and because the kokiri is childish, he would just always act childish (but be somewhat mature at the same time). this would allow for a lot of in game humor possibilities. maybe even many times Zelda would play like a mother figure always breaking up silly arguments between them. i agree that there is no need for an M rated Zelda. characters like Tingle keep the series cute and lovable (though many may not realize it). i think when you were referring to my idea being a little over the top you may have been referring to the ending when they all are saved and set the path for the future of their races in WW. i came up with a better idea (or a more thought out one) for how the Zora will become a rito. rather than just changing into a rito, he meets Valoo shortly after her arrives to the surface. Valoo gives scales to the rito that allow them to fly. when the Zora meets Valoo, Valoo will give him a scale which, over time of having in possession, just starts to transform his body.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom