• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Zelda Your Opinion on Hyrule Hystoria

Krazy4Krash

Staff member
The book is bloody brilliant, I'll tell you. The third-split was a cop-out? Whatevs, I'm too distracted by the glorious artwork to care.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
Also, the what-if scenario could have been applied at any point in the Zelda games. For example the time of the flood, is it safe to assume that a Link was supposed to fight Ganon at that time but he lost therefore Hyrule flooded? His victory would lead to an even different set of events, you see, it can be done at anytime.
Well hypothetically yes, it could happen at any point in any in-game universe. People think that because it was used here it can be used anywhere else, and yes it could be. However, look at where it happened... It happened in Ocarina of Time, the groundbreaking game and the most significant set of events within the mythos. This is the game in which the three splits were crated, it's a pivotal point in time.

I would still argue that something did happen at his death, this was a post I remember from Cfrock, I think it's quite interesting.

Cfrock said:
It did, the Triforce split into separate pieces for the first time chronologically.

I've said pretty much since the timeline was revealed that calling them 'Adult', 'Child' and 'Hero Defeated' may be misleading. Calling them 'Wisdom', 'Courage' and 'Power' would make things clearer, or at least clearer if you were to see it the way I do. I'm not going to say the way I interpret it is correct but this does make the whole Link-Got-Deaded thing plausible at that one specific moment, I feel. The Triforce is supposed to be claimed by someone who has those three qualities in equal balance. Skyward Sword spent the whole game making sure Link fit the bill perfectly before he was allowed near the thing. This need for balance implies that each piece of the Triforce is as powerful as the others, albeit in their own way. An object of three balanced and equal forces wouldn't make much sense if one of them could trump the other two, right? So when the Triforce splits during Ocarina of Time and a piece goes to Link, Zelda and Ganondorf I interpret this to be the cause of the timeline split. Each piece of the Triforce has its 'victory': Child Timeline sees the wielder of 'Courage' return to the past and prevent the whole thing from happening; Adult Timeline sees 'Wisdom' as the only piece physically left in Hyrule after Ganon's defeat; Hero Defeated sees 'Power' defeat the Hero and then corrupt the Sacred Realm into a hive of evil.

In this way each individual piece beats the other two, in a manner of speaking, and thus over the whole cosmilogical-quantum-continuum-of-space-and-time-and-wibbly-wobbly-energy-and-dark-matter-or-whatever the Triforce manages to retain its balance since all three pieces were able to triumph. Of course, this is a poor solution as it basically means there will be many more incidents caused by the now split Triforce(s) but then Goddesses be crazy, yo. The 'Hero Defeated', or 'Power', timeline has the Triforce brought back together by Ganon (it had to be him because this was 'his' timeline) and then it goes on to help Hyrule prosper for generations. The other timelines just haven't gotten to their 'unification' point yet.

That's how I make sense of things and in there is our reason for why every death does not create a new timeline. It wasn't Link dying that split the thing in the first place so why would it do so at other points? Call me crazy but this just how I see it. Who knows, maybe I'm so wide of the mark I'm not even talking about Zelda anymore.

Random Person

Just Some Random Person
I haven't read much of Hyrule Historia, so I can't comment too much on the book itself. The discussion seems to be leaning towards the timeline, however, which I can comment on. The reason people see the third timeline as a cop-out isn't so much as it doesn't make sense, as much as it feel like a dues ex machina. There were absolutely no clues prior to HH that lead to the possibility of a third timeline. It's like you're watching a movie about a kung fu master and he defeats the final bad guy by suddenly using magic that was never talked about, but he secretly knew it all along and just didn't tell anybody. Sure it makes sense story wise, but it comes out of nowhere. To the upset fans, it feels as though Nintendo couldn't think of a good way to fit the remaining games into the two timelines, so they came up with a third and threw them all in there. In a sense, the entire series has now been retconned meaning anyone who is invested in the lore of Zelda must now change everything they know about the series because Nintendo said so. You can imagine how frustrating that would be to fans.

Maybe there are those who are glad to finally have a solid answer to the lore, and maybe there are those who simply don't care about the lore. But the rest of us didn't just want answers. We wanted something that would keep us immersed in the Zelda world. Instead, we got something that for the rest of the Zelda series would remind us that "it's just a video game."

Salem

SICK
First of all, I liked the the fact that there is a third timeline, it keeps the classic games on it's own place that's cool, but I don't like how it's done, they could have put the split anywhere but they choose to bring it back to OoT, because the way it happened had nothing to do with OoT's time aspects, while CT and AT are caused by the Ocarina of time etc. SO therefore the classic games could have been put anywhere so why did they have to be the result of a bad ending?

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
First of all, I liked the the fact that there is a third timeline, it keeps the classic games on it's own place that's cool, but I don't like how it's done, they could have put the split anywhere but they choose to bring it back to OoT, because the way it happened had nothing to do with OoT's time aspects, while CT and AT are caused by the Ocarina of time etc. SO therefore the classic games could have been put anywhere so why did they have to be the result of a bad ending?
Because of the way A Link to the Past played out, the Triforce was in the hands of Ganon and he was sealed in the Dark World with it. Now they could have made that scenario happen in, let's say, Twilight Princess for example. However, like I said, Ocarina of Time was the pivotal point in time, if you have another branch--off of a split--then it would complicate things further.

Salem

SICK
Because of the way A Link to the Past played out, the Triforce was in the hands of Ganon and he was sealed in the Dark World with it. Now they could have made that scenario happen in, let's say, Twilight Princess for example. However, like I said, Ocarina of Time was the pivotal point in time, if you have another branch--off of a split--then it would complicate things further.
I dunno, I think having all timelines come from OoT complicates things more than simplifies, it makes it seem so many things happen it once, sometimes independent of each other(talking about the cop-out timeline).

Last edited:

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
Sure. It's all about HH in this thread, and the timeline is part of HH. :yes:

alright i personally think that link to the past onwards should have taken place after twilight princess
the reason for this is pretty basic: in the end of twilight princess the master sword was placed in the sacred grove,a forest,which is where the master sword is found later by game boy link in link to the past
anyone fined any holes w/ this theory?

alright i personally think that link to the past onwards should have taken place after twilight princess
the reason for this is pretty basic: in the end of twilight princess the master sword was placed in the sacred grove,a forest,which is where the master sword is found later by game boy link in link to the past
anyone fined any holes w/ this theory?

Well that's what many people did before HH came out. So no, there's no holes that I know of with this theory.

My theory I had is I put FSA before LoZ so I could have a reputable reason for having Ganon in LoZ.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom