• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Zelda Your Opinion on Hyrule Hystoria

ihateghirahim

The Fierce Deity
Hyrule Hystoria. What a cool thing to give zelda fans. You got all that artwork, and that comic, and that description of the timeline that irked me and many others. . . I mean HH is an awesome project, and it nice to Nintendo talk directly to it's fans. It's all high quality, but was it all worth it for that annoying timeline and $ they asked for.

Was it worth it? What are your thoughts on the book and the timeline? Do you want to see more material like this?

"Bawww Hyrule Historia ruined all my timeline theories!!!!!!!!"

HH was an awesome collection of info, artwork, and extras. It's really a Zelda fan's dream.

Salem

SICK
Should have been advertised as an artbook that so happens to have a timeline in it, that's what it mostly amounts to. I'm waiting for a real Hyrule Hystoria.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
I haven't owned a copy myself but I did look at a copy belonging to one of my friends. I basically just skimmed it and looked at the artwork, which were all pretty neat to see. All in all I thought it was pretty cool, but I wasn't entirely interested in it to buy my own copy. And as far as the timeline goes, I have never cared about it. I have no interest in Zelda timelines (official or unofficial) so it never bothered me. If anything, I find it amusing that so many Zelda fans whine about the official timeline after begging for one for so long. But I really don't care about the timeline. I wasn't very interested in reading all the neat info it contained, either. The only thing about Hyrule Historia that interested me was the artwork. And my interest in that was also quite limited.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
It's good for the artwork and explaining what the Hero's Shade is (who[m]). Otherwise it's garbage imo. No need for a third split especially after confirming just A split. >_>'

CraptainFalcon

Bored to death
It's good for the artwork and explaining what the Hero's Shade is (who[m]). Otherwise it's garbage imo. No need for a third split especially after confirming just A split. >_>'

What about the SS comic at the end. That was a good addition. And a good side story to SS, considering the story of the game was ****.

Plus the third split does make sense, IMO. And the artwork and stuff was something any Zelda fan should see.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
Plus the third split does make sense, IMO. And the artwork and stuff was something any Zelda fan should see.

resorting to an unnecessary 3rd split as opposed to just simply finding a reasonable spot for those games?
which im pretty sure is not too hard to do

otherwise,its a pretty good artbook

I find it amusing that so many Zelda fans whine about the official timeline after begging for one for so long.

eh,i blame ocarinahero10

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
I actually haven't properly seen one, I have looked through and used the information (Internet translations) countless times when completing the ZD Wiki Timeline page, as well as using it for other purposes - out of curiosity. I've seen quite a fair share of the concept art too, so my knowledge on it is fairly ok.

Well we all know it's main selling point; the Official Timeline. Many people criticise it - Three splits, the fact that Link was defeated, obscure placements etc. Well for one, we all tried to come up with our own theories and most of them were flawed and debunked. Nintendo provided a Timeline that actually fits together, yes there was one or two oddities and the fact that there were three splits, but it made sense and that's all that matters. A lot of the placements were actually predicted and well known beforehand, the post Wind Waker games, the first four installments and the Oracles etc. So there wasn't that many surprises considering.

I think a lot of people were annoyed because fans spent ages trying to figure it out only to find out that there was a simple but odd solution (Link being defeated). Now don't get me wrong, there were many crazy theories but I can see why many theorists were disappointed; however, we got we wanted, something official - canon information doesn't come along to often in this form. So the Timeline reveal was a big positive in my eyes, we now had canon information of which to make more logical and structured theories.

There was also information that connected each of the games, they were pretty brief but it did show some acknowledgement. A lot was revised information that could have been collected from in game anyway, but now it was all there in one book for all to see. Basically a lot of the hard work was done, people didn't have to go and research, the information was structured and easy to go through. There were also some other reveals that answered or confirmed fan suspicions, such as the confirmation of the Hero's Shade identity. There could have been more, but still a positive nonetheless.

Now a bit of a contradiction here, but the information given was quite poor in my opinion. As I said, a lot of it was already known about, it was just a pieced together so readers could find it and understand it easier. So there were very few revelations in terms of information for me and I'm sure many people. I was pleased with it, so to say, but I can't help but think they could have tried a bit harder or explained a lot more things. However, that's what I like about the series, a lot of the lore is there to be found and deciphered, this makes for more things to possibly theorise about. I would have also liked more clear and better translations, a lot of statements don't seem to add up.

So at the end of the day, Hyrule Historia was a success in my eyes, a book dedicated to the a series we fans love, filled with interesting concept art (which was probably the best thing about the book), it pieced together a lot of the information and acknowledged a lot of in game races, times and characters. Of course the main draw was the Timeline, I think it was nice to see it being an official source, it isn't as bad as some people made out and it didn't kill theorising, it in fact helped it.

Dimooshky

The Mauve Avenger
1 word, absolutelyfrickingamazinglybrilliantboomawesomeyeehawwow. I love it. So well produced, it smells lovely (Definitely an important factor for a book), everything in it is something that I could stare at for years, it's huuuuge and only cost £15 when I bought it. 100% worth it. I don't mind about the timeline at all, my only quarrel with it is that I really cannot see how FSA fits in anywhere.

Only a couple of problems with it:
1 - Fairly strictly aimed at players of Skyward Sword, so Zelda fans without having played the game would only understand 60% of the book, and a lot of it could be spoilers. Because of this I got it with SS.
2 - No concept art whatsoever for The Minish Cap which really annoyed me. The most recent and best artistically 2D game and nothing at all. Capcom may have had a say, but there is art for the Oracles.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
What about the SS comic at the end. That was a good addition. And a good side story to SS, considering the story of the game was ****.
Oh yes, the pre-SS manga was so badass (mainly because Link had a cape). If that could be made into its own game...including the imprisoning Link bit, that would be kickass to the extreme.
Plus the third split does make sense, IMO.
See...I understand the third split and how it occurs totally makes sense. If Link were to get murdered by the Evil King, then ALttP would eventually happen. Nothing wrong with that. HOWEVER, OoT was made in such a way that this simply couldn't happen, and the "Defeat Timeline" is setup to be the "What If Timeline".

Mangachick14

Nerdy and Proud
I don't have any issues with it. I enjoy reading through my copy and I love seeing the concept art and the SS prequel manga kicks so much A double-S, especially for a oneshot. The timeline doesn't bother me in the slightest, and quite frankly, I don't understand why everyone has problems with it. So yeah, I'm down with Hyrule Historia :yes:

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
We wanted one that is satisfying and understandable.

"It's not what I wanted so I'm angry!" No offense, but that's what I'm gathering from this. So the timeline wasn't exactly what you expected. Is there a problem with that? And how is it unsatisfying? All that begging for a timeline, and when they try to satisfy that begging by creating an official timeline, you complain because it's not what you were expecting? And I also don't see how it's not understandable. From what I know about the timeline, it's pretty clear and the games fit together fairly well. The third split isn't a big deal, either. There were two splits, so what difference does a third make? It's not like it was handled poorly.

My point is, if you're going to beg for a timeline so much, don't complain when you're finally given one. Beggars can't be choosers. The timeline is how Nintendo thought the games should be connected. So, that's how they're connected. That's just how it is. I guess this just helps to prove that Zelda fans are unsatisfiable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom