• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Xenoblade Chronicles X

Night Owl

~Momentai
I've Just finished Chapter 4. I'm getting tired of teasing Tatsu, I think they were trying to emulate the relationship between Reyn and Riki with Lin and Tatsu. However I think they either tried too hard or couldn't come up with better jokes.

I've noticed that the game feels fairly gated especially early on. Sure you can wander off the beaten path if you're sneaky, but that's a quick way to get one-shotted. It's especially noticeable in Noctilum where straying from where you need to go will lead you to enemies that are level 30 and will kill you, but there is a road of level 12-13 monsters all the way to the story mission destination.

It's not so much that I dislike the way they gate areas, more that in the one area the gating felt really obvious.

CrimsonCavalier

Fuzzy Pickles
I've Just finished Chapter 4. I'm getting tired of teasing Tatsu, I think they were trying to emulate the relationship between Reyn and Riki with Lin and Tatsu. However I think they either tried too hard or couldn't come up with better jokes.

I've noticed that the game feels fairly gated especially early on. Sure you can wander off the beaten path if you're sneaky, but that's a quick way to get one-shotted. It's especially noticeable in Noctilum where straying from where you need to go will lead you to enemies that are level 30 and will kill you, but there is a road of level 12-13 monsters all the way to the story mission destination.

It's not so much that I dislike the way they gate areas, more that in the one area the gating felt really obvious.

I think the worst part is that they touted the game as "so big and so open" and it isn't. I mean, it is, but you can't get to it. There's no sense of wonder and exploration. I don't like that the world is already explored, and all the continents are already there and you know of them. It feels fake.

I definitely feel there should be areas that are mysterious and you can't get to them because the monsters there are so strong. You should have a sense of accomplishment when you are finally strong enough to get to them. But to me, having a level 40 grex that never sleeps or moves guarding a narrow bridge to an area is really lame. Especially when there's nothing interesting there.

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
I think the worst part is that they touted the game as "so big and so open" and it isn't. I mean, it is, but you can't get to it. There's no sense of wonder and exploration. I don't like that the world is already explored, and all the continents are already there and you know of them. It feels fake.

I definitely feel there should be areas that are mysterious and you can't get to them because the monsters there are so strong. You should have a sense of accomplishment when you are finally strong enough to get to them. But to me, having a level 40 grex that never sleeps or moves guarding a narrow bridge to an area is really lame. Especially when there's nothing interesting there.
Just saying, I looked up what you were saying. I actually got past them very early in game lol.
You guys just don't know how to sneak properly, and run when things go awry.
You guys also don't know that, these enemies don't impede where you, merely how you get there. These enemies are merely a puzzle to solve.

In afraid this is a case of "git gud scrub". They don't impede your exploration. Merely how you explore and how you get there.
image.jpg

I never hit any of the road blocks you guys have mentioned, but I feel like that's more because I don't think I ever really tried to push the envelope that much. I quested through as much Primordia as I possibly could at first, but I never tried to swim to another continent because the swimming was so slow and it didn't seem like a good use of time. I guess it's more of my playstyle, which is is exploring one area completely before I try to break that area's boundaries and go somewhere else.

I got my first Skell yesterday, and it's pretty awesome. You can't fly with it right away, but it already has made traveling more interesting since its jumping ability far surpasses being on foot. I don't think I've quite figured out the combat mechanics for it though.... I'm kind of scared of getting it destroyed so I haven't been experimenting much.

Triforce King

Pathfinder for life
river-city-ransom.jpg

NA version (left) / PAL version (right)

This game had an amazing shopping scene. Just so much to buy. And yes in this NES game you can buy a pizza (amongst other things) to up your stamina and other attributes. Xenoblade could have taken cues from games like this. Put all the shopping in the commercial district (armour too) and leave the quests and mission information to the admin district. Just have each different building be a different arms manufactuter. And new buildings pop up there then new AM's come online. To me it feels like there was a lack of space on the disc or a lack of time ot get this done. There is clearly shops in the commercial district, just all closed up and sellnig anything.

Oh well. XCX is still totally amazing though. THis will not stop me really liking the game tons.
I know in xenogears you could buy and eat food to boost your weight (don't know what weight does mind you) but you can eat food if you want to. I still think it would make more sense for them to have armor and weapon shops at the BLADE district, and have all the casual clothes and swimsuits, at the commercial district.

Yeah, it would of been a nice feature, but your right, it still shouldn't stop us from enjoying the game.

Kylo Ken

I will finish what Spyro started
Pause > Go to Social > Press on Squad Select > Pick "Combat Squad" > Return to the Blades Barracks to see if there are any changes.

Most of the time I have to accept mission requests for it to work, as well.
What about connecting online when it says offline at the top left?

CrimsonCavalier

Fuzzy Pickles
Just saying, I looked up what you were saying. I actually got past them very early in game lol.
You guys just don't know how to sneak properly, and run when things go awry.
You guys also don't know that, these enemies don't impede where you, merely how you get there. These enemies are merely a puzzle to solve.

In afraid this is a case of "git gud scrub". They don't impede your exploration. Merely how you explore and how you get there.
View attachment 37220

Don't meant to sound rude, but ... nice try. Not the spot I'm talking about. There's a land bridge that leads to a separate area. They aren't just laying around doing nothing like the ones you show here. There are two guarding two land bridges over water. Sure, I got around them, but only after about 20 minutes of jumping on the cliffside until I got on there.

So I'm still right. There are enemies gate guarding, and it has nothing to do with getting good. They DO impede your progress. They are NOT a puzzle to solve.

CrimsonCavalier

Fuzzy Pickles
At what level did everyone start Chapter 6? I feel like I'm underleveled here. I'm trying to complete the prerequisites to start Chapter 6, and I'm finding it difficult and extremely tedious.

I already sound like a whiner on this thread, so I won't even sugar-coat it, but I really hate how this games forces you to explore. I find it to be a really big design flaw. I should want to explore, not be forced to. And right now, I don't want to explore. I want to start Chapter 6.

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
At what level did everyone start Chapter 6? I feel like I'm underleveled here. I'm trying to complete the prerequisites to start Chapter 6, and I'm finding it difficult and extremely tedious.

I already sound like a whiner on this thread, so I won't even sugar-coat it, but I really hate how this games forces you to explore. I find it to be a really big design flaw. I should want to explore, not be forced to. And right now, I don't want to explore. I want to start Chapter 6.
How is that any different than you having to explore an area in Xenoblade Chronicles to go to your next story objective?
Really, so you are complaining, about having to play the game, in order to see the story.....
Don't meant to sound rude, but ... nice try. Not the spot I'm talking about. There's a land bridge that leads to a separate area. They aren't just laying around doing nothing like the ones you show here. There are two guarding two land bridges over water. Sure, I got around them, but only after about 20 minutes of jumping on the cliffside until I got on there.

So I'm still right. There are enemies gate guarding, and it has nothing to do with getting good. They DO impede your progress. They are NOT a puzzle to solve.
You said it yourself that you got around them. So they still don't impede your exploration. Furthermore, please point out at which hexagon you found this bridge at. I guarantee you that I will be able to sneak/run past them.

If someone said " I do not want to jump on goombas and use fire flowers in the Mario Bros game it should be interesting to do but optional", that would be absurd. Doing those things is the Mario games. That is the whole point of the game. Without them, the games are just not Mario games. The same could be said for XCX. XCX is all about exploring the world. Monolith soft made that totally clear since development in the game started. Also in game this is repeated to you over and over. I am only in Chapter 4 and already the game has hammered home to me the importance of revealing more of the map with probes and doing all the things in each hexagon to get the completion tick for each one.

XCX is an "explore the planet" game. The quests, even story quests are just a secondary feature to the exploring. Hating that exploration is the main way you progress in XCX is like hating that jumping is the main way to progress in Super Mario Bros. I actually like the idea. It gives a sense of purpose to me exploration. It's not just exploration for exploration's sake. There are objectives associated with it. To me at least it's fun. Sorry if I sounded harsh to you. I get your point totally. XCX is a niche game for exact reason. Not everyone will like what XCX is. A number of game journalist XCX reviews to give low scores just because they hate XCX being XCX.

For a few enemies I just ran right past them, triggered the combat and just kept running. Eventually they stopped following me (takes much longer than XC though). I have no issues with gated progress though.
  • Initially you have to get to Chapter 4 before you can visit other continents and all of Primordia
  • Then you need higher Mechanical skill to place some probes (hence why you should upgrade the mechanical skill first)
  • Some areas need flying Skells to reach
  • Other areas need a higher levelled player to beat the enemies in the rode
That's just part and parcel of any exploration based game. Sure running around everywhere is fun. But the sense of achievement you have when you've earnt your way to a location by doing one of the above is even more satisfying.

At what level did everyone start Chapter 6?
I am only up to chapter 4 at the moment. But I am level 20 now.

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
Whoa there, even I have to admit that some of the prerequisites for advancing the story can feel drawn out. Having to do a random affinity quest (which takes some time to track down in a very large city) and surveying a given percentage of land is more or less padding. Granted, the entire point is to make it feel like you're in a brotherhood, going out and fighting for humanity's survival, and BLADE accomplishes that very well. But as far as those side missions being mandatory...? I don't recall the original Xenoblade ever making you go complete a certain Heart-to-Heart or explore a certain region first, haha. Operations such as the eight-part test for the Skell license is something that benefits the plot, whereas the majority hardly feels relevant.

In short, I'm trying to say that the original Xenoblade progressed better as a whole, whereas the stipulations for reaching a new chapter in X divert from that openness. That doesn't make it a bad thing since X is trying to balance the sense of progression with Mira's vastness. The original just didn't throw as many roadblocks in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom