• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Xenoblade Chronicles X

how far are you in the game?
Chapter 5 or 6 I forget which. I do have overdrive and I know the secret of the town clock. It's been a while though. I had to restart because of a dead HDD. So I decided to see how much I could explore on foot. And what I can do on foot as I really like that form of combat. I know I've tons of story left to go, but I've disovered almost everything you do not need a flying skell for and have explored quite a lot of it as well. I decided to hit the side content and level to 60 (in the 50's now) before continuing with the story.

When I have time later I'll get back into XCX.

Salem

SICK
Chapter 5 or 6 I forget which. I do have overdrive and I know the secret of the town clock. It's been a while though. I had to restart because of a dead HDD. So I decided to see how much I could explore on foot. And what I can do on foot as I really like that form of combat. I know I've tons of story left to go, but I've disovered almost everything you do not need a flying skell for and have explored quite a lot of it as well. I decided to hit the side content and level to 60 (in the 50's now) before continuing with the story.

When I have time later I'll get back into XCX.
Oh, was it an external XDD or the Wii U's?

selicyc

i never knew daylight could be so violent.
a mystery inside of an enigma wrapped in a soft fuzzy blanket of I don't even know what
Absolutely. It's probably my biggest complaint about the game. Yeah, yeah, the music and all that, but that can be overlooked, to be honest. But it felt like giving us a voice to choose from, and then have the character mute was really foolish. My immersion-breaking moment happened way before this though.

The moment your arm gets ripped off and you're screaming, except you're not screaming because no one voiced the scream (I think it was Chapter 3 or 4), that was the end of the "immersion" for me. Okay, it was a big moment. You find out you're not a human at all. That should have been a "OMG WOW!" moment, but because you're character is writhing in pain, but not making a single sound, it just looked ridiculous.

Oh yeah, that moment in Chapter Five. I had forgotten that had happened. They're quite chatty in battle, but outside of that, it's either grunts, stock phrases for motions or pure silence. Each avatar voice has a scream for falling into the pits in Oblivia, why not use them for that particular moment?

What's even more awkward is when you pick a fourth party member and take them into a story chapter. They just stand there awkwardly and stare. Why not give them a flavor line or two? Right in Chapter Five, they just stand over you and look down at you while your sitting there, while the Ma-non group around your lost arm.

Sheik

:the:
Maybe this was discussed already, but how does the combat in this game compare to the original? I'm currently replaying Xenoblade Chronicles and am having more fun now that I've had a complete understanding of the battling and other RPG mechanics from the start. However, I do feel like most enemies - and I suppose battles - are very same-y, and one single party setup and strategy can work for about every monster and boss until the later parts of the game. I just don't feel like encounters are as varied and test your tactical skills like in other JRPG's. (Really, though, Xenoblade's combat system is mostly great and this is one of few issues I find in it.)

How does Xenoblade X compare? All I've heard is that the combat is faster and more action-oriented. Are encounters more varied?

Jamie

Till the roof comes off, till the lights go out...
trans-pan-demi-ethno-christian-math-autis-genderfluid-cheesecake
Maybe this was discussed already, but how does the combat in this game compare to the original? I'm currently replaying Xenoblade Chronicles and am having more fun now that I've had a complete understanding of the battling and other RPG mechanics from the start. However, I do feel like most enemies - and I suppose battles - are very same-y, and one single party setup and strategy can work for about every monster and boss until the later parts of the game. I just don't feel like encounters are as varied and test your tactical skills like in other JRPG's. (Really, though, Xenoblade's combat system is mostly great and this is one of few issues I find in it.)

How does Xenoblade X compare? All I've heard is that the combat is faster and more action-oriented. Are encounters more varied?
This. I would have loved to deal with enemies with special things about them that required me to switch up parties or arts. I found myself with the same arts and party makeup at the final boss is XBC as I had at level 40.

This. I would have loved to deal with enemies with special things about them that required me to switch up parties or arts. I found myself with the same arts and party makeup at the final boss is XBC as I had at level 40.
Yeah I haven't really changed anything much. I don't like the idea that I'd have to essentially go "ok I've spend 140 hours learning this setup. Now time to completely change it and do something totally different." Though honestly, I might just find a class with good skills and abilities, then do all my fighting from a skell...

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain

For on foot combat... Not really. All of the classes your avatar makes though, carries over, so that gives you way more incentive to switch classes in order to get access to more arts. The weapon classes are extremely varied and have different play styles.

But you can theoretically stick with the same build and do pretty well.

However, once Skell combat is introduced, things get different. There's a lot of strategy when to fight on Skells and when not to. Having a mix, and and all of that takes a lot of tweaking and optimisization.

I will say this however. Combat on XCX does feel a lot less repetitive because fights last a less. Battles are extremely quick most of the time, and the game really does have a lot to it.

CrimsonCavalier

Fuzzy Pickles

I'm one of those in the camp that feels that the combat in X was dumbed down in comparison to Chronicles. I actually thought there was a lot more strategy in Chronicles than in X.

In Chronicles, I changed my party a lot until I found the best possible party, and I stuck with that, or one of the two variants thereof, and I cleaned up with them. I was unstoppable. But in Chronicles, there was a lot more variety with your tactics. Enemies had spike damage, some were untoppable, etc.. Giving gems to your characters could turn them into damage tanks or agility tanks, depending on what you did. And there was the whole affinity between characters thing, which made it so if you had the right people in your party, each member received even more attributes. It was awesome figuring out the right combination and when you found the right one, it was so satisfying. Not to mention that chain attacks actually meant something.

In X, the combat system is little more than paint-by-numbers. The NPCs say something, each statement is in a certain color, and then you pick an art that matches that color, and that's combat. There's nothing wrong with that, but it's simple and lacks any real strategy. I've yet to use overdrive more than 5 times, and I'm comfortably killing everything.

On its own, the combat in X is okay at best. It's not bad, but it isn't good. Compared to Chronicles, it's terrible, shallow, and a step backwards. But that's what you asked. Compared to XBC. The biggest problem people made with this game (myself included) is to compare the two. There is no comparison. Chronicles is a far far far far far superior game than X. So don't compare them. Play X for X. It isn't XBC, it's X.

Chronicles is a far far far far far superior game than X. So don't compare them. Play X for X. It isn't XBC, it's X.
XC is not better than XCX. It's not worse either. It's just very different. Both XC and XCX have good and bad ponts. XC's linearity and overly complicated affinity system to many is a flaw. But to some XCX's music and combat is a flaw. Neither game is perfect.

I personally like XCX more tha XC even though I know XCX has it's flaws (liek like XC does). It's each person's opinion as to which of the two games they find to be better.

So, I'm wondering if someone can help me with this. I've been trying to push my Division to the top for a while but no matter what I do I just can't seem to make it. I want that Salvage Ticket, but I don't want to just join another division that always wins, I wanna actually earn it. Is there a comprehensive list that tells what activities yield the most points for what divisions? I know it changes, and I sorta have an idea of how to do it. For instance, I'm a Harrier and I know Tyrants give us a boost or something like that, but I don't fully understand how it works out and the manual isn't helpful.

CrimsonCavalier

Fuzzy Pickles
So, I'm wondering if someone can help me with this. I've been trying to push my Division to the top for a while but no matter what I do I just can't seem to make it. I want that Salvage Ticket, but I don't want to just join another division that always wins, I wanna actually earn it. Is there a comprehensive list that tells what activities yield the most points for what divisions? I know it changes, and I sorta have an idea of how to do it. For instance, I'm a Harrier and I know Tyrants give us a boost or something like that, but I don't fully understand how it works out and the manual isn't helpful.

I gave up on that to be honest. I tried, like you said, to do things that boosted my division, but I feel that people are switching to "good" divisions, and that messes everything up. I don't know if that's true. I just really don't understand it. I was getting the grand reward constantly, every single 24 hours, for about a month, and since then, I have not gotten past the third best reward, ever.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom