• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Would You Want a Canonical Manga?

Would you want a Canonical Manga?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• Maybe

• Total voters

Valexi

Hylian Thief
Manga? Not really, no. A western conic? Yes.
Personally I prefer the art style and more mature feeling of western comics; plus they cut out all the silly stuff that bothers me from manga.
Don't get me wrong, I was quite a manga collector in my day, but really, after I found and got into western comics I fell in love harder and faster than I ever did with manga.
I feel the only way to obtain a respectable and successful LoZ graphic novel would be to fashion it after western comics rather than manga.

Not really, actually. The Zelda games, despite their timeline connections and overarching plot, world and themes, are mainly self-contained experiences. For the most part, the game are really meant to be enjoyed on their own. There was never a Zelda game made that actually REQUIRED you having played a previous one to understand what's going on, even the ones that heavily reference previous games like The Wind Waker or its own sequels.

Because of this, it automatically means being canonical is just slightly different than it would be with another series. While obviously, talking about it literally, the definition is the same, you still come to the fact that the games are enjoyable regardless of how they connect to the others.

So I think it's pretty irrelevant if the manga are canonical or not. They're still fun, as are the games, so it doesn't really matter and causes no harm as-is. Two other reasons though, for good measure. First is the fact that BECAUSE the games are fairly stand-alone, adding more to them through a manga wouldn't make sense, as it would change that. Second is that if new manga were made that WERE canonical, it would make the endless chore of telling people that the manga aren't canonical even more irritating because then there would be some canonical ones.

Actually Valexia, it is the other way around. Western Comics are the silly ones.
That's really open to debate and probably shouldn't be something we get into too much. Besides, neither of you are making very clear what Western comics and what Manga you are referring to, as they are very different. The Manga, Nausicaa is an incredibly mature, deep, and beautiful story, whereas Ceres is a teen romance with no intellectual value, just some fun. The same two examples could be replicated in Western comics. Let's try Watchmen versus Dilbert... or even Deadpool, much as I love him. See my point?

Xinnamin

Mrs. Austin
Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't some of the manga already "canon"? At least, I think the OoT one was stated to be canon by one of the Zelda developers in an interview, even though some parts of the manga conflict with the game...

Anyways, I personally don't like the idea of any of the mangas being canon, and my personal reason is rather nitpicky: I find sometimes the characters and storyline of the manga just doesn't match up with the games all that well, which creates a bit of confusion and takes some of the fun out of storyline theorizing, for me anyways. They just sometimes screw with the game's canon. I don't know, maybe I'm just weird like that, it's kinda hard to explain.

Xinnamin

Mrs. Austin
Canon, in anything with a story, refers to the establish, authorized, official, etc.., body of rules, laws, principles, etc.., of that story. In other words, Zelda canon is the stuff that is accepted as pretty much without a doubt true regarding the Zelda universe.

Valexi

Hylian Thief
Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't some of the manga already "canon"? At least, I think the OoT one was stated to be canon by one of the Zelda developers in an interview, even though some parts of the manga conflict with the game...
I hope that isn't true....I read some of the OoT, and I didn't really like what I read, and I would hate to think that it's canon.
What's worse would be if the Majora's Mask manga was canon....

Anyway, back on topic, I think an LoZ comic would look really nice if someone like Stjepan Šejić would do the art for it.
He is an amazing comic book artist and has a way with drawing monsters and creatures.

content

Zoomed in shot
content

I'd prefer this over black and white screen-tones any day.

Zemen

[Insert Funny Statement]
I voted no because if there was a canonical manga then Link would have to talk. I know what many are thinking right now. "What does it matter?" Well as a fan of the series since it's origins it matters. Link has never talked or never talked more than a few words. The beauty behind that is that the players can put their own personality into Link. How you play the game is a direct interpretation of you as a person. Maybe you scream your head off when you're fighting a Stalfos or maybe you try to avoid as much confrontation as possible and skim past enemies. Either way it allows Link to be you. Giving him a manga with a voice takes away from the play personality. I understand that theoretically when the players aren't playing, Link is still doing his own thing and has his own life, but I don't want it to be a canonical life lol.

I'd rather have a canonical game than a canonical manga. If there's gonna be a new Zelda story, I want to be able to play it, not read it. The only exception would be if it were an event that they really couldn't make a game of, like the Imprisoning/Seal War. Then a canonical manga would be nice, just to prove all the people who believe that the Seal War is represented by OoT or FSA wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom