• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

"Worst" Nintendo Console?

Worst Nintendo Console?

• Nintendo Entertainment System

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Super Nintendo Entertainment System

• Nintendo 64

• Nintendo Gamecube

• Nintendo Wii

• Total voters

Krazy4Krash

Staff member
(Please refrain from mentioning any portables. This is for talk about home consoles.)

Which of Nintendos home consoles do you feel is the worst, or at least the one you like the least? This can be due to any and all aspects, such as the game library, controller, legacy, etc.

Last edited:

Awesome

The Creepy Uncle
I don't really like this thread as I don't feel any of the consoles were bad. I did vote for the Wii because it didn't have the library that it should have, but that's it. I was reluctant to even vote.

In my humble opinion Nintendo's worst console is the Wii. Most will point towards increased hardware and software sales as well as hefty third party support as a sign of recovery but I beg to differ. I certainly hope the Wii U doesn't meet a similar fate after a few years given a like namesake.

I wasn't a fan of motion control to begin with and developers opted to view it as a means to produce casual games and cheap watered down ports. Nintendo certainly didn't give a strong first impression with its debut launch titles-Wii Sports and The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess-which can be classified under those categories, respectively. While original gems like World of Goo and Madworld were certainly present, they came few and far between.

The Wii's limited hardware capabilities certainly weigh into my argument as well. I realize Nintendo wanted to spice things up after the commercial failure that was the Gamecube but they needed to cater to a broader audience while retaining the trust of the traditional gamer. E3 2008 was the symbolic crossroads in the company's failure to do just that as many faithful deserted to the 360 and PS3, hoping to find the grittier, action-packed titles Ninty had offered them not a whole generation ago. The Wii's SD graphics and poor online functionality were the nail in the coffin. While gameplay is certainly the principle factor in purchasing a product from this medium, aesthetic should also be considered in balancing the whole and here it was shamefully neglected. Regarding WiFi, my hopes were raised in 2008 with the likes of Super Smash Bros. Brawl and Mario Kart Wii, two back-to-back blockbusters releasing only a month apart, boasting the feature, but the company failed to follow through. Where was online multiplayer in New Super Mario Bros. Wii? Why wasn't an online component added to the revamped version of Metroid Prime 2: Echoes in the Metroid Prime: Trilogy? Why didn't Skyward Sword feature leaderboards or a coop mode. The Wii was fully capable of realizing all these ambitions and yet never did.

This is my own opinion of course and I'll gladly listen to those of others. The Wii has left me nothing short of disgruntled. If you feel my views are inaccurate, feel free to counter them but please be respectful about it.

I'm gonna say the wii too, not because of the power of the hardware (such things don't bother me, I'd happily play something that looked like Mario64/OoT64 on the wii)
But i can look at my other nintendo consoles, and see the rich library of games, even from third party developers and be excited to play them. Every nintendo console had classics and instant classics and game you knew were good from the off and games that would be good so much further down the line.

With the Wii i don't feel that at all, i have a rich library of games on the wii and really none of them compare to the brilliant titles i've played on the n64, GC and the Snes. Out of the 30 games i have for the wii i can say that only 5 have really been worth playing and even the i've felt those games to be lacking in what they could have done (SS for example).

I',m not against motion controls either but they are fickle and their inclusion has ruined some Wii games for me. I could pick quite a few games for the wii that i would have preferred to play with buttons and in my opinion i think i would have enjoyed them so much more.

The Wii, to me, is only okay, the games are only okay, they way that we are forced to play them is only okay. Very rarely was a game for the wii stellar and i don't think any game released was much of a revolution or deserved the praise that they got, and that is including the Mario Galaxy games.

Dan

I'll most likely go with the wii as well, Although in some ways it's the best console since you can play previous games on the wii, not to mention it has Gamecube compatibility. Although I know this thread is about the game library for the wii alone. Still can't complain at least it brought some nice 2d plat-formers. :D i still had plenty of fun with the system. I'm happy it brought back the donkey kong country series too, It also is home to the Galaxy games and of course no more heroes. <3

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
The Wii was a pretty terrible console in my opinion. It doesn't have a sizable game library (not that the GameCube did either; but at least with the GC we had quality games in a higher quantity) nor does it have a DECENT game library. Off the top of my head I can think of just shy of 23 titles I would pick up for the Wii, and how many games are made and are BEING made for the console? Mhm. There is also the ideal, for me, that the Wii is a "kiddie console", that is, the GOOD games weren't made in mind for people who are long standing veterans of Nintendo. So things become a bit too easy, and for some series I don't mind easy but others? Those need to be medium difficulty or higher or else I won't really enjoy them.

So yeah, I vote the Wii.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
GameCube without question. It has the largest amount of least successful and lowest quality first party titles alongside of a lack of solid third party development. It's the only Nintendo console that wasn't a true masterpiece (besides the Virtual Boy).

MW7

I'd say the Gamecube is the worst because I feel like the most important measure for console quality is sales. The Gamecube was Nintendo's worst home console in this respect by a sizable margin. In terms of ratios the NES sold 3 times more, the SNES sold 2.5 times more, the N64 sold 1.5 times more, and the Wii is nearing 5 times more console sales.

In terms of games it had extremely well received Metroid games, Super Smash Bros Melee, fairly well received Zelda games, and a Mario game that received lukewarm reception. Personally for me the Metroid series isn't my favorite so my opinion rests more on the quality of the other games which wasn't anything amazing. For me the Gamecube will be remembered for Melee, Double Dash, Sunshine, Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, and 007 Nightfire (loved the multiplayer). Overall that's good quality, but not quite as good as other systems. It does have my favorite controller of all time though.

willsfairysword

links assistant in combat
Im the only one who said N64 its mostly because I never had an N64 as a kid so the controller confused me and it felt awkward to play OoT for 15 minutes at my friends house.

The Joker

&lt;span style=&quot;text-shadow:2px 2px 4px Purpl
I honestly do not hate any of the systems but here's how I rank them:

1. Super Nintendo Entertainment System

2. Nintendo Entertainment System

3. Nintendo 64

4. Nintendo Wii

5. Nintendo Gamecube

But I hold a very high opinion of the Wii, despite being number 4, because I can play games from every single one of those systems on it.

ShadowDiety

Nanomachines, son.
I have to say the Wii. It didn't have very many games at all, and most of the ones that were good aren't very memorable.

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
I voted for the NES - not because I consider it a bad console - I don't. It had some great and fun games that I loved playing - but I voted for it, because compared to the other consoles, there was always one thing lacking - a save system. Every single time you started the console, you were forced to play a game from the very, very beginning - no option to continue where you left off, which in my experience caused a lot of frustration. Some games made up for the non-save possibility by adding warp-options (mostly the Mario-games), but not all. Sure, it made getting to the end level and completing a game all that sweeter (I still remember the pride and relief in FINALLY beating Tom & Jerry - of finally MAKING IT to the last level and not dying have having to play from the very beginning again...) - but it also made you having to replay the same first couple of levels every single time you played. So yeah, NES - great console - many great games - but the no save system makes it the bottom console in my opinion.

Mudora

Innocent but not fearful.
I honestly do not hate any of the systems but here's how I rank them:
1. Super Nintendo Entertainment System
2. Nintendo Entertainment System
3. Nintendo 64
4. Nintendo Wii
5. Nintendo Gamecube
But I hold a very high opinion of the Wii, despite being number 4, because I can play games from every single one of those systems on it.

Exactly my opinion!

tysonrss

Keyblade Master
Nintendo Wii, just because it could have been better. But no, it's laughed upon and looked down on, and clearly doesn't deserve to be in the same spotlight as the 360/PS3(which it isn't).

I am very disapointed in myself for trading my 360 for a Wii, it's just I wanted to play Skyward Sword so badly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom