• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

With PS4 Announced, Do You Think Wii U Is In Trouble?

A Link In Time

To Overcome Harder Challenges
ZD Legend
I'm torn on the subject.

I love Nintendo but I'm not fond of the direction the company is taking.

Sony's Playstation brand, on the other hand, produces initially overpriced hardware but systems that will remain relevant for years after release from a third party standpoint.

Nintendo released more powerful hardware in the bout against Sega and that strategy worked. But when it came time to battle entertainment giants Microsoft and Sony, Ninty couldn't compete. Nintendo is pursuing an appropriate strategy.

What does PS4 offer? Posting video footage of gameplay, remote play, and greater PS Move integration. I'd take the comfort and nonlinear gameplay possibilities of the Wii U Game Pad over what the PS4 has to offer any day.

A true gamer, however, buys every system and I know I'll once more support all three companies next generation.

A Link In Time

To Overcome Harder Challenges
ZD Legend
But the N64 and GC were more powerful than the ps1 and 2 and the ps2 still kicked everyone's arse.

I apologize for the lack of clarity. That's precisely what I meant. More powerful hardware didn't pay off for Nintendo with the N64 and GCN. The company therefore wisely chose to focus on innovation rather than horsepower. Microsoft and Sony have more money to throw around than Nintendo. They can more easily produce beefy systems. The Wii worked for Nintendo; while I doubt the Wii U will be as successful as its predecessor, it should easily generate at least 50 million units sold during the course of the generation.

Absolutely not. I don't think the PS4 is that amazing and it doesn't have many great features to put the Wii U in danger. let's remember the Wii U is still a relatively new console and it has loads of potential and I don't think the PS4 will steal it's thunder. Nintendo aren't looking to compete with Sony anyway so what ever happens it won't affect Nintendo and the Wii U, besides I don't think the PS4 will do brilliantly at the start since it will cost an arm and a leg.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
I am really not sure about the subject...

I have got to say that I was pleasantly surprised by the PS4 conference and it looks like we are seeing anothsr significant step forward as long as console technology goes. Nintendo went for innovation more than power with thenew controller however there is no guarantee that this will be a console seller, the motion controls that sold the Wii was fairly new so it would surprise ms that the tablet for the Wii U will be enough of a selling point. It's obvious that the PS4 is significantly mkre powerful tech wise compared to the Wii U andi know tech isn't everything but in my opinion when it comes to picking the between console's this could be a factor.

I own a Wii U myself and i can say that it certainly is a neat console with the Gamepad and all but am afraid i am very disappointed with the Wii U as a whole. It seems they rushed it out for the holiday season, the game line up is fairly weak and there isn't a single game out atm that I would truly consider a "console seller". There are also multiple problems such as loading times and download speed Etc. Not to mention the 2-3 hour update. Now I know a weak line up is expected on launch but just look at the possible line up of games come the PS4's release, for me there are around 4-5 games that would easily be a console seller.

Sony have also took a step in Nintendo's direction with the PS Vita connectivity, now I know this isn't as convenient as the gamepad but it could lessen the effectiveness of Nintendo's USP. Sony will also have a lot more 3rd party support which I think is vital nowadays and I think it may come down to this in the end. However this all depends on the price of the console itself....The Wii U went for a fair price for a new console especially since the trend seems to be that console prices are increasing. If the rumoured price of $429 and $529 are true then am afraid this could be bad news for Nintendo but who knows what the future will hold and am sure Nintendo will pull out a few tricks come E3.

Lord Carlisle

He Who Shall Not be Named
I don't see the PS4 standing as a threat to Nintendo or the Wii U.

Sure, the PS4 will be more powerful in terms of hardware. Yet, like an above post stated, Nintendo can't compete with their hardware. Their business focuses solely on video games... whereas both MS and Sony are renowned hardware manufacturers. Meanwhile, Nintendo is the king of innovation. I can't stand hearing people call the Wii U a "gimmick". I doubt said people have ever played a Wii U, let alone own one. The controller has unlimited potential and is infinitely better than the Wii remote. The problem is, you can't understand this unless you experience it firsthand.

I'll admit there are some nice features to the PS4. Few that I'd find useful myself, but others may enjoy them. Yet I doubt they'll all be available at launch. I think Sony is far more worried about Nintendo than the other way around. This Vita/PS4 crossplay thing sounds suspiciously similar to the gamepad. Wouldn't be the first time Sony copied Nintendo.

Wii U sales have been sluggish, and Nintendo hasn't given it much of a marketing campaign. I want to believe they're saving that for when they release heavy hitters like the 3D Mario. Speaking of Mario, I think it would be smart to release a Mario Kart game this fall, right before the other consoles release.

Now, Nintendo SHOULD be worried about the nextbox. They need to start catering to the (hate this term)hardcore crowd, and get a few hardcore gamers to jump ship.

If anything it made the Wii U look better.

No backwards compatibility, $200 Vita accessory, mild increase in graphical power in comparison to the Wii U. It certainly is lolworthy.

No idea. I want a PS4, and a Wii U, but if I do get a Wii U, I'd be buying a pro controller to use instead of the pad because I'm just not interested in the tablet controller. I love the fact that I can take screenshots/videos and upload them with the PS4, but I still need to see games. I'm a huge RPG player though, so unless the Wii U and PS4 get a bunch of them, I will probably stick with handhelds. I need to see more than just 2-3 RPGs, though. Having just a couple amazing games isn't enough. I need assurance that it will have a myriad of RPGs.

I have a gaming PC, but I still prefer to game on consoles. I've never been one that cares about graphics or a constant 60 FPS. 60 FPS is nice, but it isn't a requirement for me. Unless every JRPG from this point on were to be released on PC, PC will never be my only platform.

Heck if I cared about graphics then I wouldn't be playing PSP/3DS games.

A "mild" increase in an understatement. The PS3's GPU is a 7800 GT. The Wii U's GPU is supposedly a little bit more powerful than the PS3's GPU. The PS4's GPU is a Radeon 7850. Any PC gamer will tell you that a Radeon 7850 is not a "mild" increase over something a bit more powerful than a 7800 GT.

Rather than rely on technobabble that hasn't even been confirmed, I'll wait for the games. Killzone 4 looks just as good as any Killzone out there. (Which is by not means an insult, since Killzone games look incredible.)

bunny

birb overlord
I personally don't think the PS4 is gonna be a huge problem for the Wii U. The PS4 looks cool and has a few neat new abilities, but to be honest, not a whole lot going on, at least in my opinion. My friends and I have all agreed that we will be waiting awhile before purchasing a PS4. I don't know, it just looks like it's gonna be awhile before all the kinks get worked out. Plus, so far there doesn't seem to be any games coming out for the PS4 that interest me. Besides, I don't mind waiting for the price to drop; I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels this way. But again, I don't see the PS4 becoming a problem for the Wii U. The Wii did alright (not the greatest, but alright) with the PS3... I don't see how anything's going to be different.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
The Wii did alright (not the greatest, but alright) with the PS3... I don't see how anything's going to be different.

The Wii, to my dismay (and surprise), did the best out of any console last gen. Sold the most, anyway. But the Wii U is doing terribly without any competition even on th emarket yet. Check it out:
If the estimates are true, and Wii U sold up to 59,000 consoles, this would mean Nintendo did worse than any monthly sales total of Microsoft’s Xbox 360 or Sony’s PlayStation 3 in their lifetime.
If the Wii U - and Nintendo - is doing that badly without any competition deployed, what will happen whent he PS4 hits town? I personally hope it wrecks Nintendo's face apart, forcing them to return to the days of the N64 with actual third party support. Sony might be in trouble depending on what cards they play; I have this itch that many of the features they showcased at the conference simply will not be available for the PS4. The Wii U isn't doing the greatest nowadays, but it might have time to rebound before comp comes in. :I

Source: 4 Victims From Weak Nintendo Wii U Sales - TheStreet

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
I don't see why it would be. The PS4 may be technologically superior to the Wii U, but that's only going to matter with exclusives. Multiplatform titles are still inevitably going to be on all four major platforms this gen (PC, "720", PS4, Wii U), as the main reason the Wii U is "behind" the PS4 in tech is RAM. Beyond that, no one ever buys Nintendo's consoles for "power" or the multiplat games. They buy them for the exclusives, and the Wii U is going to have plenty of those. Stellar ones, at that. Nintendo clearly learned from the mistakes they made with most of their franchises on the GameCube (specifically Mario and Zelda) judging by how much of a step up these franchises saw on the Wii, so I don't see how they could possibly regress back to the mediocrity of that disappointing little box. I only see them moving forward, possibly outdoing even the SNES and N64 (which only time will tell if they do).

I don't care what the competition comes out with. Nintendo will absolutely soar this generation with the Wii U, and I can't wait to see what they have in store for us in the near future.

Like I said before, the Wii U is just playing catch-up with the PS3 and 360. It's a 7th generation console branded as an 8th gen console.

[video=youtube;cJawrGFJbQs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJawrGFJbQs[/video]

well hear is my thoughts on this. through out gaming History,sometimes the most powerful systems tend not to do so well. example the 3DO, this 700$ console barged about the graphics and how much powerful it was. and it failed big time, Atari Jaguar, boasted that is was more powerful then the SNES and the Genisus with is 64 bit power and 3D graphics, it failed big time due to how crappy it was. the Gameboy was not as impressing as its competitors that had bigger, color LCD screens but the GB was a huge sucsess. the Ps2 was weaker then the Game cube but it sold Phenomenal and is one of the best consoles ever made, and right now the 3DS which is not as powerful as the Vita is kicking the Vita butt right now in sales, though now the PS4 could change that ( though Nintendo is doing the same thing Wii U+ 3DS multi play), now we have the Wii U and Ps4. so when a console is announced and it has alot of power to it does that automatically make it successful and the other failures? no it does not. the PS4 is interesting with the stuff they sead it will do( like allow your friends beat the game for you..hackers will enjoy that), but im not gona go all crazy for it for reasons that 1: will sony be true to their word on what the PS4 will do. until the PS4 is finally released with all the features it will officially have on the system it self, Sony is talking the talk but will they walk the walk?, things tend to happen during development and during the 1st few months of a console's life time can cause changes. 2: right now the Online features for me is useless since i live and a secluded area so the WIFi im picking up is kinda weak and i cant connect my systems to the internet. so im more interested in the games, what games will want me to buy a PS4, yea watch dogs look good but its also coming to the WII U another system that I am very interested in due to the fact that it is cheaper, and the game ( depends of the developer and how well they do it) could benefit more on the WiiU-Tablet. is the WII U in trouble? i say no its not its too early to tell but 2014 will tell us.

Last edited:

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
I personally hope it wrecks Nintendo's face apart, forcing them to return to the days of the N64 with actual third party support/

That's....an oxymoron. The N64 was when Nintendo officially stopped caring for 3rd party support. More irony? The Wii U is actually trying harder to gain 3rd party support...for reasons I cannot fathom.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom