• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

With PS4 Announced, Do You Think Wii U Is In Trouble?

Snoober

P O K E M O N M A S T E R
By now most of you know PS4 was announced and showcased today. With amazing graphics and other features, the system is sure to bring a lot to table. With Wii U's mediocre sales as of now, do you think Wii U is in trouble? Sure, Watchdogs is coming to Wii U, but it will not have the graphical power it's Sony counterpart will. Being that Wii U is graphically behind, is Nintendo in hot water? Or does the big N still have next gen in it's fingertips? What do you guys think?

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I *hope* the Wii U will be in trouble. Like I said before, the Wii U is just playing catch-up with the PS3 and 360. It's a 7th generation console branded as an 8th gen console. The PS4 is leagues...no, metric miles ahead of the Wii U graphically. The 3rd party support for the PS4 is absolutely stellar, so many leaps and bounds ahead of the Wii U's crappy ports. Watch Dogs looked sexy, Killzone Shadow Fall looked sexy, Luminous Engine looked sexy....everything on the PS4 will be absolutely beautiful. Oh, and PS4 is getting a Final Fantasy title (and most likely a KH title in the future), whereas the Wii U is getting what from Square Enix? Lol, I haven't heard of anything. I mean, who would want to support last-gen architecture when PS4 (and presumably Nextbox) are so far ahead? I mean, 8GB of RAM? That's what most typical gaming PCs have (although PS4 CPU speeds are not too great, neither is the gfx card).

WAIT. I forget that the PS4 will come with a HUGE PRICE TAG. There is no way Sony can sell this system under $500 unless they do one of two things: a) cut too many features that they showcased in the conference or b) sell at a HUGE loss which will send them into bankruptcy. I don't think they're looking into b, and a doesn't seem feasible either. So...I hate to say it but the Wii U might be doing a-okay, at least until Nextbox is announced.

Look, I know I'm hating on Nintendo and I know this is incredibly biased. I do not like Nintendo for what they've done to my favorite franchises. I want Sony to come out on top for once, just because of my hatred of the Big N. :III

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
Ehhh I doubt it. Nobody has ever bought Nintendo for hardware. The thing is, the only games that I might get even remotely excited for on a PS title is FF and maybe a new GoW. The Wii U's main problem is that it's overpriced as hell...not that I expect the PS4 to be any better. It'll probably end up like the Wii and PS3 all over again. One has a lack of good hardware and the other has a lack of good games. I myself care very little for 3rd party support because I'm too much of a cheap snob to buy most of them. But, in the end, if this console is priced the same way the PS3 was, they are screwed. Wii U already has an overpricing issue. The PS4 is only bound to magnify this problem.

I will admit I'm by no means an expert, but right now the PS4 just isn't looking appealing. I mean hell, my friend is a Sony fanboy who's rich as hell and even HE has no plans to buy it. That tells me something....I think a lot of gamers are just starting to get sick and tired of some of the cheap tactics Sony has and has tried to employ. Like their attempt to get rid of the disk system. *eyeroll*

Hanyou

didn't build that
I *hope* the Wii U will be in trouble. Like I said before, the Wii U is just playing catch-up with the PS3 and 360. It's a 7th generation console branded as an 8th gen console.

The Wii is a 7th Generation console. The Wii U follows the Wii. How on earth is it also a 7th Generation console?

The PS4 is leagues...no, metric miles ahead of the Wii U graphically. The 3rd party support for the PS4 is absolutely stellar, so many leaps and bounds ahead of the Wii U's crappy ports. Watch Dogs looked sexy, Killzone Shadow Fall looked sexy, Luminous Engine looked sexy....everything on the PS4 will be absolutely beautiful. Oh, and PS4 is getting a Final Fantasy title (and most likely a KH title in the future), whereas the Wii U is getting what from Square Enix? Lol, I haven't heard of anything. I mean, who would want to support last-gen architecture when PS4 (and presumably Nextbox) are so far ahead? I mean, 8GB of RAM? That's what most typical gaming PCs have (although PS4 CPU speeds are not too great, neither is the gfx card).

...you could have said all that about the Wii, which was indisputably a success.

Look, I know I'm hating on Nintendo and I know this is incredibly biased. I do not like Nintendo for what they've done to my favorite franchises. I want Sony to come out on top for once, just because of my hatred of the Big N. :III

Well, I don't know about your favorite franchises, but my favorite franchises (Mario platformers, Zelda, Pokemon, Donkey Kong Country, Kirby) have seen some stellar entries in the past few years, and I can't wait for more Nintendo-published goodness. That's all I care about as far as the Wii U is concerned; the rest will undoubtedly be best on the PC anyway if it's available for it, so I couldn't care less.

All that said, I think, barring severe missteps from Sony and Microsoft (which don't seem too farfetched, given Sony's latest miscalculations), the Wii U will have a hard time pulling the success of the Wii. Look at the numbers. I think the Wii U's price point was a bit of a problem, as well as a failure to interest casual gamers who helped bolster Wii and DS sales. I certainly don't think Nintendo should have wasted much time trying to cater to the "hardcore" with their Wii U.

I have no idea how things will turn out, but from here, it does look like the Wii U is in trouble--it's just not because of Sony.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
I am really hoping that more competition will drive the Wii U's price though...but since this is probably going to be the most overpriced console in the 8th Generation, I doubt it will happen now.

The Wii is a 7th Generation console. The Wii U follows the Wii. How on earth is it also a 7th Generation console?

He means the Wii U has the hardware power of 7 Gen console.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Wii U architecture is only slightly better than the PS3, with worse Internet infrastructure. It's a 7th gen console at best, merely released in the 8th generation time period. The equivalent to this would be my releasing a Nintendo 64 in the days of the PS2; the N64 is very clearly 5th generation architecture, it's just released in the 6th generation timeframe.

...you could have said all that about the Wii, which was indisputably a success.
Right. Why was the Wii a success (especially compared to the PS3)? *Low price point *Casual appeal *Very accessible *Tons of appealing games *Some great exclusives for longevity, released steadily across lifetime
Why was the PS3 a failure (compared to Wii at least)? *High price point *Virtually no appeal *Very unaccessible *Few games, let alone APPEALING games *Some great exclusives for longevity, but released late in console life

I'm projecting the PS3's state of affairs onto the PS4, essentially. It might look great on paper, but in practice, I cannot see the PS4 - or Sony - beating Nintendo out even though the Wii U is in every way inferior to the PS4 (or rather, what we've heard of the PS4).

Well, I don't know about your favorite franchises, but my favorite franchises (Mario platformers, Zelda, Pokemon, Donkey Kong Country, Kirby) have seen some stellar entries in the past few years, and I can't wait for more Nintendo-published goodness. That's all I care about as far as the Wii U is concerned; the rest will undoubtedly be best on the PC anyway if it's available for it, so I couldn't care less.
3D Mario has done pretty well, but I haven't seen an entry since Super Mario 3D Land. 2D Mario? It's become Call of Duty without the replayability of a multiplayer mode. Zelda? Skyward Sword happened. Pokemon has been dead to me since HGSS. I'm not a huge DK fan, but I recognize DKC's greatness. Kirby is at an all-time high, but Nintendo doesn't treat Kirby right. Everything else you said, I basically agree with.

Last generation was Sony coming out behind "for once."

If anything, this generation would be a restoration of the status quo.

Snoober

Thanks for the feedback guys. I love Nintendo, but for once I wish they would try and compete with Microsoft and Sony in the power department. That being said, I think Wii U will do just fine once it gets some stellar IP's. In the end, it's not really about the power of the graphic engines. It's all about the game.

Hanyou

didn't build that
Wii U architecture is only slightly better than the PS3, with worse Internet infrastructure. It's a 7th gen console at best, merely released in the 8th generation time period. The equivalent to this would be my releasing a Nintendo 64 in the days of the PS2; the N64 is very clearly 5th generation architecture, it's just released in the 6th generation timeframe.

I'm not sure it would matter. Generation isn't defined by the strongest hardware available, it's simply defined by timing. And in any case, games are the most important thing here, right?

Right. Why was the Wii a success (especially compared to the PS3)? *Low price point *Casual appeal *Very accessible *Tons of appealing games *Some great exclusives for longevity, released steadily across lifetime
Why was the PS3 a failure (compared to Wii at least)? *High price point *Virtually no appeal *Very unaccessible *Few games, let alone APPEALING games *Some great exclusives for longevity, but released late in console life

I'm projecting the PS3's state of affairs onto the PS4, essentially. It might look great on paper, but in practice, I cannot see the PS4 - or Sony - beating Nintendo out even though the Wii U is in every way inferior to the PS4 (or rather, what we've heard of the PS4).

The trouble is that the Wii U isn't the juggernaut the Wii was. It's overpriced, too. But we'll see.

I guess there's some overlap of our views here.

3D Mario has done pretty well, but I haven't seen an entry since Super Mario 3D Land. 2D Mario? It's become Call of Duty without the replayability of a multiplayer mode. Zelda? Skyward Sword happened. Pokemon has been dead to me since HGSS. I'm not a huge DK fan, but I recognize DKC's greatness. Kirby is at an all-time high, but Nintendo doesn't treat Kirby right. Everything else you said, I basically agree with.

I'd sooner play a 2D Mario game than almost anything multiplayer, but I was specifically talking about 3D Mario. In any case, I suppose our views on this are polar opposite: Pokemon B/W, for instance, was one of my all-time favorite Pokemon games, ranking just behind 1st and 2nd gen.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I'm not sure it would matter. Generation isn't defined by the strongest hardware available, it's simply defined by timing. And in any case, games are the most important thing here, right?
Right. I've no complaints. We'll have to wait and see whether Sony (or Nintendo) turns out.

The trouble is that the Wii U isn't the juggernaut the Wii was. It's overpriced, too. But we'll see.
I wouldn't say the Wii U is overpriced; it costs about the same as a PS3 does ($300 for Basic model, compared to $300 for a 500GB PS3). There's also to take into account that the Wii U just launched with the $300 (or $350) price tag - the price could very well drop immensely, and in due time. It'd be fitting, since one would be buying what essentially amounts to a PS3 with a fancy controller and lack of CD/DVD/Blu Ray support.

I'd sooner play a 2D Mario game than almost anything multiplayer, but I was specifically talking about 3D Mario. In any case, I suppose our views on this are polar opposite: Pokemon B/W, for instance, was one of my all-time favorite Pokemon games, ranking just behind 1st and 2nd gen.
Hmm...yeah, to each their own I suppose. We enjoy different things, it's natural. The real determinant here is sales, and I do believe that Nintendo as it is going right now with their AAA franchises is still raking in quite a few sales. More power to them, if that be the case.

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
I am afraid that despite my greatest hopes the WiiU was doomed from the outset. But then again, I think the same will be the case for everyone else.

I see the video game industry heading towards either catastrophe or a major paradigm shift in the way video games are hosted that will leave Sony and M$ (and quite possibly Nintendo) in ruins, or at least in something of a fail state. They have only themselves to blame for this. Fostering ever increasing princes on consumers in a cruddy economy, ridiculously bloated production costs that have developers and publishers scrambling to nickle and dime players out the wazoo, mediocre design, over-reliance on gimmicks... in short, gamers can't afford to game and game makers can't afford to develop. The technology has exceeded their grasp and the platforms will fail.

I am a realist, not a pessimist. I am not one to stand on a corner and doomsay. If the PS4 does bury the WiiU then I expect Sony's PS4 to do a fair to decent job of burying itself anyway, same as whatever M$ does next. The PS3 was the most "exclusive" of the three consoles last gen, and I am not referring to its exclusive titles but rather the manner in which it was a sort of luxury item that fewer people paid handsomely for, and that's because it had the most unsustainable tech cost wise.

So the way I see it, in the long run it doesn't really matter. I don't think the next gen consoles are going to see the financial success their predecessors did during the first half of their run. WiiU has not made a good early showing and it is already going to look small compared to the competition. It is already behind and the competition hasn't even started. I don't think they'll fair much better, but only time will tell.

Last edited:

Snoober

I'm actually a little unsure of a few of the movements they've decided to make. Once again I'm confronted with more of Sony's lack of originality with features like the PS Eye and the PS4 - Vita streaming option for playing when a TV is unavailable. Heck, they've even gone for the PSMove compatibility strategy as Ninteno did with Wii Motion Plus. Somehow I doubt they lack the creativity to make these features flow as smoothly as their competitors have.

Power wise I think they've set themselves up for a fall. Whilst they will likely seel the console itself for a loss at first with the hopes of bringning in more money via software, it's going to be one heck of an investment. They may well find themselves alienated against cheaper consoles once again. Especially during a time when their core player-base (or rather their parents) is struggling for money as it is. I also can't understand the getting rid of second hand games. They're taking the only reprieve of an already expensive market away? Somehow, I don't think many will be happy with that.

Let's see how things go though. I sill think Nintendo have hit the nail on the head with their strategy so far. When the Wii was first released, HD was still a novelty. There was no need for overpowerful graphics. And the WiiU trumps it's competitors last gen consoles power-wise, which means new Nintendo fans won't be jarred by a downgrade in graphics.

That is very true. When Wii came out, you've also got to remember that the market's landscape was a lot different than today. I guess what I'm saying is do you think Sony and Microsoft's power alone will make them triumphant over Wii U? Sure, Wii wasn't as powerful as the competition and it sold better... but it eventually bogged down and almost all support from 3rd parties had died out starting in 2010. My point is this; gamers will keep in mind that the lack of power was what slumped Wii from the long run win... will that hinder the Wii U?

Clank

Hmm
Maybe it is just me, but I see it as this;

Sony: Not the best at innovation, but they seem to take others ideas and improve them if possible; thus creating a technologically superior and also luxury console. They also have laptop, smartphone etc. to make up for loss.

Microsoft: Not great at innovation either, but still a fairly powerful and affordable console. Also they have windows etc. to make up for selling at a loss

Nintendo: Great at innovation, terrible at hardware strength, and for what you get it tends to be a little overpriced. However they have no other sectors to make up for selling at a loss, thus if a console generation falls flat for them, they fail.

However that is just my opinion, and not necessarily right.

Snoober

While I only disagree with your opinion on Pokemon (been a fan all my life and love every title just as good as the last), I agree with you totally on everything else. Even though I enjoyed New Super Mario Brothers U, I think 2D Mario's have been used so much since NSMB on DS without really evolving the gameplay mechanics that the experience has become dull. I heard Reggie Fils-Aime state after hearing the negative reaction towards the Wii U's E3 last year something on the line of "You can't please the fans. They wanted Mario at launch. We gave em Mario at launch. And they still complain." Come on people... I think I spoke for everyone when I said I wanted a Mario game BECAUSE I meant a full fledged 3D adventure. Thats the real Mario experience. Sure, at one time it was all about 2D, and the 2D games of the day were amazing. The 2D Mario titles today just lack innovation and that "Mario magic" that let me fall in love with gaming to begin with. I guess what I'm saying is NSMB is a cheap, lackluster, and safe way out for sales using Mario's name. As for Kirby and DK, I don't think either get the respect they deserve... but hey, it's not only them. What about Starfox and F Zero? Them two didn't even get a single game on Wii.

Despite Sony's financial strife the WiiU was always going to get very stiff competition from the ps4 and Nextbox and probably not stand a snowball's chance in hell. All the WiiU is is a slightly more powerful 360 with a gimmick and asymmetrical multiplayer. Ps4's upcoming titles are interesting, of of course look much better than anything on or announced for the WiiU so far. Everyone knew that the WiiU was going to be the least powerful console of this upcoming generation just like the Wii beside the 360 and ps3, which in my eyes is why the WiiU hasn't been flying off of the shelves and given the disappointing instalments of first party nintendo titles on the wii i'm not expecting them to do much better on the WiiU. Whereas on the other hand after such a difficult generation with the ps3, Sony need to pull out all of the stops, be impressive be intriguing and throw everything they have at us very quickly and keep the trend goig which already looks to be what they're doing with that long showcase on the 20th. The ps3's generation and financial strife could be reversed on the ps4 if they do it right, get a strong library very quickly with lots of exclusives and hope that the Nextbox doesn't do something super cool or is way more powerful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom