• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Oracle Of Seasons/Ages Why Were These Games Generally Ignored?

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
I think there are a few reasons contributing to the Oracle games' unpopularity. The main one, I think, is the one outlined in the thread's headliner post: that they were released at the end of the GBC's lifetime. That was the time that the GBA was being popularized, and I guess the Oracles just got overlooked because of the GBA's updated graphics and sound. Also, they were released right after two of the best games in the series, which many people may believe to be far superior to the Oracle Games (I have yet to play them though, so I can't judge).

Another thing could be the fact that they were made by Capcom. I know more popular Zelda games have been made by Capcom since then, but OOX was the first, and I think some people may have found that too different from all the Nintendo-made Zelda games that preceded them. Or maybe they thought they'd be disloyal to Nintendo by playing and enjoying a Zelda game that they didn't make.

But, like I said, I have not played the Oracle Games, so I am not a very worthy judge... >.>

Totally the hardware's fault that they came out on the cusp of the GBA being released. But also Majora's Mask and Ocarina of Time weren't far behind the Oracle's being released and people were still buying those rather than the 2D handheld titles. The Oracle games imo weren't very strong titles either and didnt give people much of a reason to buy them.

ScouseOctorok

An avid Blue
I think there are a few reasons contributing to the Oracle games' unpopularity. The main one, I think, is the one outlined in the thread's headliner post: that they were released at the end of the GBC's lifetime. That was the time that the GBA was being popularized, and I guess the Oracles just got overlooked because of the GBA's updated graphics and sound. Also, they were released right after two of the best games in the series, which many people may believe to be far superior to the Oracle Games (I have yet to play them though, so I can't judge).

Another thing could be the fact that they were made by Capcom. I know more popular Zelda games have been made by Capcom since then, but OOX was the first, and I think some people may have found that too different from all the Nintendo-made Zelda games that preceded them. Or maybe they thought they'd be disloyal to Nintendo by playing and enjoying a Zelda game that they didn't make.

But, like I said, I have not played the Oracle Games, so I am not a very worthy judge... >.>

Gameboy Color / GBC Emulators - CoolROM.com - Here's an emulator.
Zelda - Oracle of Ages ROM Download for Gameboy Color / GBC - CoolROM.com - Here's an Ages ROM
Zelda - Oracle of Seasons ROM Download for Gameboy Color / GBC - CoolROM.com - Here's a Seasons ROM

GO PLAY THE GAMES

ihateghirahim

The Fierce Deity
The games were well-received, but they came at right around the time the Gameboy was getting tired. Let's also not forget that GBC existed for the sole purpose of playing Pokemon Generation II. That's what everyone wanted for their Gameboy, your average fan didn't get the Oracle games. We should also recall that the market was saturated by LA:DX at that time. So, the Oracle games were set up to fail, but they actually sold well. I mean are any of the Zelda portables that popular?

The Jade Fist

Kung Fu Master
Actually looking at the US release dates of the GBA and the Oracle games, the GBA came out the very next month.

I had a GBA before I got my hands on the Oracle of Seasons, which I bought with my christmas money at the end of that year.

They just were released at a bad time, and some people didn't quite get they were 2 different games, think it was more akin to being like Pokemon Red and Blue vs 2 different games.

Some people complained they were too close to Links Awakening, which was one of the most loved Zelda games ever, so how is that a bad thing? Sure they used the same graphics, but who cares, I loved the way links awakening looked and felt, why complain about 2 new games that do the same things well? And a few others were like oh noes capcom. These were made before Capcom/ EA had on disc DLC and pay for cheat codes and so on (idk they still had way too many Street Fighter 2 versions on the same consoles, maybe that was worse). They were just sore it wasn't 100% a 1st party zelda game.

I tell you , capcom did a wonderful job on these. And still stand as some of my favorite games ever.

edit:
And Europe infact even got these games a few months AFTER the GBA.

Last edited:

Beauts

Rock and roll will never die
Aside from the whole Gameboy Color death, I'd say they're ignored because

a) they don't slot neatly into the main narrative/timeline
b) part of this reason is because they take places in different lands from Hyrule, which is reason in itself why less people bothered with them, as at that point all other games had been set in Hyrule and people don't like change
c) OoT kind of blew all the 2D titles out of the water when it was released and not many people have played the games that came before
d) LA is more popular for reasons I fail to understand, because I don't think that game is all that great, but plenty of people do
e) MM also used to get ignored a lot for the timeline/narrative reason, but it's had a surge in popularity recently, so I don't doubt the Oracles games will at some point

I personally think the Oracles games deserve to be remade. They are great games, but they did suffer for being just before a boom in better gaming technology, and they could be fleshed out a lot better. But then it might also steal something from the original, you know?

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
I don't think MM really surged in popularity...it feels more like its fans came out of the closet.

I'm thinking that they may gain some popularity as their release date on the 3DS Eshop draws near and will possibly show just how popular they can be or how unpopular they really are.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom