• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Why Does It Matter?

GerudoDesert

I love being gay.
I know that a lot of you are OCD when it comes to correcting someone if they have the time-line wrong. And believe me, I've gone over plenty of time-lines myself that I have made. But just a thought, why does it matter if their is even a time-line? They are just games. Extremely good games, if I may add. It's called the "LEGEND" of Zelda because legends are re-told and change each time the story is told. I'm extremely sorry if I am offending anyone, though how could I? There will always be more games coming out in the Legend of Zelda series. These games were never meant to start conflicts over which games came first.

But, heres a serious question to everyone: Why does it matter that there is a time-line?

[Note: Moderators, if for whatever reason, a conflict arises, please feel free to lock this topic]

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
Well, the reason I correct people is so that confusion doesn't rise up in newer people and such. I know the "timeline" doesn't matter that much (why do you think I put it in quotation marks?), but I just...don't like people putting these crazy ideas out there that messes everything official up.

GerudoDesert

I love being gay.
Well, the reason I correct people is so that confusion doesn't rise up in newer people and such. I know the "timeline" doesn't matter that much (why do you think I put it in quotation marks?), but I just...don't like people putting these crazy ideas out there that messes everything official up.

And I understand that, I really do. There is a huge difference between close-to-being-right time-line and completly-far-off time-line. But my question to you guys is why does it matter that there even is a time-line?

Meego

~Dancer in the Dark~
I think it's part of being a Zelda player in some ways. It may not matter to some people but I think it's like people who do three heart runs or people who look for specific things in a Zelda game. Some people have timeline theories and when people have theories there is often disagreements about it. I just think it's something that can be quite fun and also challenging to try and puzzle out about the Zelda series. But I guess it's not for everybody. It also lets true Zelda fans make an analysis on every little detail in the game that might place it in a certain spot on the timeline, it is a tricky subject but I can see why people like having ideas about the timeline.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
And I understand that, I really do. There is a huge difference between close-to-being-right time-line and completly-far-off time-line. But my question to you guys is why does it matter that there even is a time-line?

I thought I explained that quite well. I don't care (that much), but there are others who do, and I don't want them to be confused. That's just me.

Meego

~Dancer in the Dark~
But, without a time-line, there is no confusion. With one, there are so many theories it will make your head hurt.

First, read my post. Secondly, think of it differently. What exactly do you look for whilst playing Zelda games?

I do think part of why I like timeline theorizing is because both Aounoma and Miyamoto has confirmed there is an official timeline, so I guess it's fun trying to get close to it :3

Rytex

Resident Netizen
For one, there doesn't have to be a theory, but it's fun, especially for me, to use my knowledge of the series and make them, based on connections to other games.

The order in which I play new Zelda games even goes with this. 1, I play the game to play it, since it's the new game. 2, I play the game to look for a connection(s) to other games. 3, I go for 100%.

Well, the timeline really doesn't even have to exist, but since a timeline has been confirmed, its just fun to play around with it and try to get close, just like what Deniro said. And who ever said it was a conflict? I have never seen anyone argue over whose timeline is right, just correct somebody else's so they can come up with a more reasonable theory. Plus, Zelda is one of the only video game series that actually has a timeline, and not in the order it all came out. In my opinion, the confusion is fun.:xd:

That's all I have to say.

GerudoDesert

I love being gay.
First, read my post. Secondly, think of it differently. What exactly do you look for whilst playing Zelda games?

I agree that it's fun to look outside of the box. To look at Zelda as much more than a game. But I do not exactly take the time-line seriously. I am really big fan of Zelda fan and all I look for is an amazing concept and difficulty.

DuckNoises

Gone (Wind) Fishin'
GerudoDesert said:
It's called the "LEGEND" of Zelda because legends are re-told and change each time the story is told.
If I'm reading the implications out of this correctly, this is actually a topic that came up a long time ago, and it was a fairly good discussion. It can be found here.

http://zeldadungeon.net/forum/showthread.php?12765-No-Time-No-Time-Who-s-Got-the-Time&highlight=time

Although there are disputes about the timeline, and I do dabble in theory, that doesn't mean it's come to a point of meticulous observation in playing Zelda rather than just having fun. I still play the games to enjoy them, but I also get a little extra enjoyment from finding connections between the games. It is natural that there are disputes; there are disputes over the most mundane and pointless of things, so it's also natural that there be passionate, heated disputes over something we hold in high regard.

GerudoDesert

I love being gay.
If I'm reading the implications out of this correctly, this is actually a topic that came up a long time ago, and it was a fairly good discussion. It can be found here.

http://zeldadungeon.net/forum/showthread.php?12765-No-Time-No-Time-Who-s-Got-the-Time&highlight=time

Although there are disputes about the timeline, and I do dabble in theory, that doesn't mean it's come to a point of meticulous observation in playing Zelda rather than just having fun. I still play the games to enjoy them, but I also get a little extra enjoyment from finding connections between the games. It is natural that there are disputes; there are disputes over the most mundane and pointless of things, so it's also natural that there be passionate, heated disputes over something we hold in high regard.

But his topic is dicussing his version of the time-line. My topic is discussing why it matters that there even is a time-line. But how we both talked about the same thing is a tad bit scary.

Unlucky Monkey

The Great King of Apes
But, heres a serious question to everyone: Why does it matter that there is a time-line?
Please think of it. The theorising in Lost was one huge aspect why the series has such a great fanbase. The same goes for The Legend of Zelda. Most of the people may not even know there is a Timeline. But, since Miyamoto and Aonuma made the Timeline official, most of the Zelda fans are trying to connect the games. It's a piece of the mythology of Zelda. The Timeline is making the games more mysterious. No one gets forced to build an own timeline, or connecting the games with each other. With all the theories, the fanbase of Zelda will grow deeper together. For me, the Timeline is just as important as the games itself. Like I said a few times before.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom