• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Why Are Nintendo Fans So Whiny?

AnimeHat

Humming Swordsman
I can understand why people are annoyed by the release of the 3ds xl, as it bothers me that they did it just little over a year after the initial release of the 3ds. Usually Nintendo waits a couple years to release a new model, and that's fine but its as if they just slapped everyone in the face that owns the original.
This is exactly what I'm thinking as well. I think they should at least compensate the consumers who already purchased a 3DS somehow.

Hanyou

didn't build that
Both are worth it at face value; one just has the bigger screen. So it's almost an aesthetic choice, do you like this color more than that one? Do you want size 33 or size 33.1? One can benefit more than the other, and at the end of the day they're the same damn thing so really who cares?

You know, I bought a 3DS at its original price and didn't complain about the price drop. That's how business works. I'm an adult, I was 25 years old when I made my decision, and I haven't regretted it for a moment.

Most of these people act like infants who had their candy stolen. They should stand up, take responsibility for their decisions, and if they don't like what Nintendo's doing, they can simply stop buying their products.

By the way, I'm getting an XL.

Last edited:

Ganondork

goo
Alright, I don't have much to say independently, but I've noticed a few things that I disagree with from fellow posters. I'll begin with what I personally have to say.

I used to only own Nintendo systems, so I used to be the stereotypical "CoD is a terrible franchise and only Nintendo makes quality games!" type of fan. That all changed in December of 2010 when I got an XBOX 360. What this basically did was open my eyes to the beauty of XBOX's games - from Assassin's Creed to Bioshock to Forza Motorsport 4. That being said, I'm still not an enormous Call of Duty fan, but I tolerate it enough to have bought Black Ops from a friend for $10. I also understand that Nintendo has had a lot of faults.

Its independence from third parties has hurt it. Most companies toss Nintendo their games that they bet will do terrible on XBOX or PS3. There are a few cases in which it's done due to its motion controls - Red Steel 2 for example - but these seem relatively rare.

I think Nintendo fans have more of a problem with Microsoft and Sony more than Nintendo itself. I'm going to admit that a 3DS XL sounds incredibly stupid. I don't think there are many people with failing eyesight that play Nintendo games - as these are mainly older people, who tend to flock towards XBOX and PS3, not a 3DS. Looking at this like a gamer, and not just a Nintendo fan, I find it to be a waste, and most people will not buy it over a smaller, more compact variation.

Anyway, most Nintendo fans really complain about XBOX and PS3 more than Nintendo, as I stated earlier. I've heard quite a bit around here that shocks me - things like "Microsoft and Sony copy Nintendo" when that's simply not the least bit true. I don't see anything that Microsoft and Sony do reflect upon Nintendo's actions - and perhaps that's why they're doing so much better than Nintendo in terms of sales.

Now, onto discussing what people in this thread have to say.

VanitasXII said:
It IS a problem, Nintendo not including a secondCircle Pad.

I have no idea how that is a problem. Nintendo tends to omit unnecessary things in their system remakes, like an XL variation. I don't use my 3DS all that much, probably not even enough to notice this supposed second Circle Pad. That's how useless it has been to me, unless I'm not comprehending what exactly it is. I'm thinking of it as the circle-shaped pad that you use to usually move the characters around. I've never seen this second Circle Pad on my original 3DS.

surferguy7 said:
Correction: All video game fanbases are whiny, not just Nintendo.

I could not agree more. I actually kept this out of my independent post so I could properly give you credit.

And considering the general logic on the internet is "If I haven't tried it, it's awful" and "Dammit, give us better FREE things" usually sprinkled with "I'm not being forced to buy it, but hell, I'll complain about it" it pretty much just shows that with the variety of personalities on the internet, it seems as if everyone is unpleasable.

And here is where our agreements end. I have never heard of this actually happening from anyone aside from Call of Duty fans and Nintendo fans, as both tend to be exactly the same when it comes to intolerance to playing any game aside from that one area where they are most comfortable in. Now, there are exceptions to these groups, but most of these fans have this mentality, but I've seen plenty of other fanbases being very far from this speculation.

VanitasXII said:
That's the problem though, Laz. There are people that already own a standard 3DS and coupled with the "I'm not being forced to buy it, but hell, I'll complain about it" mentality as pointed out by surferguy7, they feel the need to whine ***** and moan about the XL. In a way, their complaints could've been justified if the standard 3DS like lost support from Nintendo in favor for the XL, but it won't. This is just a bigger 3DS.

I own a regular 3DS and do not have this mentality in the least bit. I'm just not going to pay another hundred dollars for a larger version of something that I already own. If it came with some new software that gave it an edge over the original one, I'd consider it, but as far as I see, there is none.

HyruleLove said:
Its just human nature to complain xD the only reason why I think people were disappointed about it , was because it was too soon for a new 3DS, its only been a year and some odd months! People like to keep up with the newest consoles, but releasing them so close in time is not very convenient to the consumers. But hey, whatever, i`ll be getting one, not soon, but I will definitely get it.

Oh my god, yes. I couldn't have said it better myself.

A_LINK_IN_TIME said:
This of course is false as classics like the two Super Mario Galaxy games and Skyward Sword will attest to.

I thought some people disliked Skyward Sword because it strayed from the traditional Zelda formula. I've never played Super Mario Galaxy, but I haven't really heard negative things about it.

In regards to the present day, fans seem to be mocking the Wii U for not being significantly more powerful than current HD consoles to justify purchase and the system's Pro Controller being put to shame by the 360's.

I thought people complained about the WiiU because it has the power that the Wii should have had back when it was new. This system's power seems to be years behind, which is only going to hurt Nintendo's sales.

Turo602 said:
Because poor people have nothing better to do than complain just because they can't afford it. First off, anyone who *****es about the bigness of the XL is a turd. It's not Nintendo's fault that they have little hands and that people with taste would like to enjoy beautiful 3D images on a larger screen. Since day one, I found it lame that the 3DS had such a small screen. It was a real shame considering how great games looked. On top of that, the 3DS doesn't need a second circle pad. It was unnecessary to begin with, because games already feel comfortable with just one. Having a second circle pad would just encourage more terrible console ports. 3DS games are good as is. The worst part is, when Nintendo fans cry, they sound ********...

Alright Turo, calm down. I've never really complained about the 3DS' size, to be honest. I always see my games just fine, but I rarely utilize its 3D aspects. I mainly use it to play older DS games like Okamiden, but I wanted a portable console that could play Ocarina of Time in 3D. I suppose that you would want a maximum sized 3D experience, but I still don't have much to complain about the system's size.

Drum said:
Humanity is as a whole 'whiney'.
If we do not get as we wish, then our selfish acts grow loud. We must learn to share our bread.
I wish the world wasn't 'whiney'.

No. Some people do, but some people buckle down and either suck it up, or if financial issues are the problem, work hard to get that money and buy what they want. I think you're looking at humanity in a cynical way.

AnimeHat said:
We're probably so whiny because we expect a lot from Nintendo. And I am kind of upset with Nintendo for releasing the 3DS XL. It's like rubbing it in the face of all the people who already got original 3DSs and said "Oh sorry, you should have waited."

Nintendo has had a very long history, most of it good. Some of its recent history, not too good. I think that this should humble Nintendo fans in a sense, and understand that Nintendo isn't on a high pedestal over other gaming companies. I've noticed that some fans do think that for one reason or another. As for your final comment, I don't regret not waiting. It's just a larger screen. My eyesight is fine and I don't have much to complain about. I paid a great price for it, too.

I don't mean to single people out in this, nor start arguments, I'm trying to point sections of this out. I'm a Nintendo fan, and a Microsoft fan at the same time. I like to look at these types of things in both ways. I know this was a relatively long post, but I do like to think that I helped clarify some things for people, the OP especially.

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
Alright Turo, calm down. I've never really complained about the 3DS' size, to be honest. I always see my games just fine, but I rarely utilize its 3D aspects. I mainly use it to play older DS games like Okamiden, but I wanted a portable console that could play Ocarina of Time in 3D. I suppose that you would want a maximum sized 3D experience, but I still don't have much to complain about the system's size.

You are completely aware that that post wasn't directed at you, right? I've also never said anything about getting the "maximum size 3D experience", a bigger picture period is just a lot better. And why should I be calm? Like the thread suggest, you have whiny fan boys crying about the 3DS XL for no real reason at all, and I should be calm? I don't think so.

J

JohnLaurinaitis

People Power doesn't think that everyone whines, but the ones who do whine just get lots of attention. People see a person saying, "Why doesn't it have this or that?" Then other people see it and say, "yeah why doesn't it?" and then they begin to whine too. Then they start making petitions about stuff and wanting to call Nintendo. Majora's Mask remake for example, Why do we need it? Because Ocarina of Time was remade? Will it stop at Majora's Mask, or will you just want more and more and keep nagging Nintendo, THEN complain when something new comes out instead of being grateful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom