• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What You Think "Game of The Year" Will Be.

Even tho I have barely scratched the surface of Oblivion, I will say that it will be very little contest, Skyrim should get GOTY. I think this for one reason. Both Marrowind and Oblivion got GOTY so there is a trend that has already started.

Big Octo

=^)
Even tho I have barely scratched the surface of Oblivion, I will say that it will be very little contest, Skyrim should get GOTY. I think this for one reason. Both Marrowind and Oblivion got GOTY so there is a trend that has already started.
Exactly my thoughts. The Elder Scrolls series is very high-standards, and with all that recognition, I wouldn't be surprised if Skyrim won.

JakeProtagonist

Defender of Peace
Exactly my thoughts. The Elder Scrolls series is very high-standards, and with all that recognition, I wouldn't be surprised if Skyrim won.
Neither would I, But I still think Skyward Sword stands a Great chance. Because I havent seen much of Skyrim, I cant say much about it, but What I Have seen seems awfully similar. But thats just me. Like I said, I could never get into Oblivion, Nor Fallout. Maybe I just dont like First Person RPGs... Weird.

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
Skyrim is all good. No really. I'm serious.
Yes it is. They are the absolute best at having a lot of both quantity and quality. It's why they have won Game of the Year with each of the last three games, which is when the series really took off to being super-long and super-detailed.
Honestly, as much as I like the Zelda series, it doesn't stand a chance of even being considered. It might be unfair, but Nintendo games just don't win Game of the Year. It doesn't matter how much we like the series, it doesn't mean it's going to win because of it. Nintendo's at odds with the rest of the industry, a bit too obsessed with being different for the sake of it. Game of the Year is chosen by industry standards, NOT Nintendo standards. Nintendo just doesn't make the in-depth games that tend to win Game of the Year.

The Elder Scrolls is famous for being extremely detailed, in-depth, and lengthy. All without sacrificing quality. There is absolutely no way Skyrim won't win. They are that good. Oh, and the "couldn't get into it" thing, is because most people give up on the games in the first couple hours. THAT is just how RPGs work. You start out as a fairly weak character that has to struggle to get things done. You need to complete some quests and level a bit before you can get going. TES fans, LIKE this. It gives that humble origins feel that really drags you into the role. It's there on purpose for that feeling. But it turns a lot of people off because they don't understand its purpose and they get bored before they can get past that stage. Just think about it the right way and tough it out and you'll get into it.

~Mizuki~

ALWAYS LEAVE BOX 5 OPEN
I have a feeling between Batman Arkham City and Skyward Sword......I would like Batman Arkham City to be game of the year, but I have to go with Skyward Sword (haven't preorder it...and I might not get it...<.<)

Pen

The game is on!
I really, really hope that Skyward Sword will become the game of the year, that would be extraordinarily grand!

By the way, has any other Zelda game become the game of the year except for Ocarina of Time?!

Kazumi

chagy
I too think that Skyrim will get be the Game of the Year. While Skyward Sword is showing lots of promise, much more then I expected it to show, it still won't stand up to Elder Scrolls. Zelda is a wonderful series with excellent roots, but Elder Scrolls beats it hard in some areas. Of course, Zelda and ES are two very different series, so comparing them isn't quite fair. However, I'm a huge fan of Elder Scrolls and I am in firm belief that Skyrim will be this years GOTY.

Of course, there is always the possibility of a game like Modern Warfare 3 or Battlefield 3 getting GOTY. Not to say that those games will be bad (I know that I'm getting both of them), but they just don't have the same sort of quality or fidelity that either Zelda or Elder Scrolls have.

JakeProtagonist

Defender of Peace
Yes it is. They are the absolute best at having a lot of both quantity and quality. It's why they have won Game of the Year with each of the last three games, which is when the series really took off to being super-long and super-detailed.
Honestly, as much as I like the Zelda series, it doesn't stand a chance of even being considered. It might be unfair, but Nintendo games just don't win Game of the Year. It doesn't matter how much we like the series, it doesn't mean it's going to win because of it. Nintendo's at odds with the rest of the industry, a bit too obsessed with being different for the sake of it. Game of the Year is chosen by industry standards, NOT Nintendo standards. Nintendo just doesn't make the in-depth games that tend to win Game of the Year.

The Elder Scrolls is famous for being extremely detailed, in-depth, and lengthy. All without sacrificing quality. There is absolutely no way Skyrim won't win. They are that good. Oh, and the "couldn't get into it" thing, is because most people give up on the games in the first couple hours. THAT is just how RPGs work. You start out as a fairly weak character that has to struggle to get things done. You need to complete some quests and level a bit before you can get going. TES fans, LIKE this. It gives that humble origins feel that really drags you into the role. It's there on purpose for that feeling. But it turns a lot of people off because they don't understand its purpose and they get bored before they can get past that stage. Just think about it the right way and tough it out and you'll get into it.
I Didnt give up after a couple Hours. I love RPGs with Mass Effect which is a game (especcially the first one) That you need to get past the first couple hours to REALLY enjoy. But Oblivion I always thought was over rated and didnt enjoy it as much as people said I was going to enjoy it at all. And I sorta agree with the Nintendo thing, but the reason why I think Skyward Sword Stands a chance is because, like Nintendo said, its like the biggest project they ever did with a long and pretty original story, new gameplay mechanics, its apparently going to be as tough as Zelda II! And with the RPGish vibe we're now getting with, it at least stands a good chance.

Honestly, it's a toss-up. It could be Uncharted 3 or Skyrim, but it could most certainly be Arkham City or Skyward Sword. It's a close race this year, and I'm rooting for Zelda.

MW7

Sorry to single you out because nearly everyone in this thread seems to be thinking along the same lines, but do you realize that there are multiple GOTY awards? Please correct me if I'm wrong because I really don't know, but to the best of my knowledge there isn't a most prestigious GOTY award like there is an Oscar at the Academy Awards for cinema. Because of this, you can't really authoritatively say that one game is the true GOTY.

Yes TES games do quite well and often win GOTY awards, but I do know for a fact that Nintendo games, especially Zelda games, win GOTY awards as well. Three out of the last four console Zelda games (Majora's Mask is the exception, but to be fair it did win fan's choice game of the decade at Gamefaqs for 2000-2009) have won GOTY awards. If you go by aggregate reviewers (which I would argue are the most authoritative sources of determining the rankings of games), then Nintendo games win GOTY more frequently than any other developer. On Gamerankings, Nintendo games have been GOTY 5 out of the last 10 years (Metriod Prime, Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, Super Mario Galaxy, Super Mario Galaxy 2).

Last edited:

A Link In Time

To Overcome Harder Challenges
ZD Legend
Sorry to single you out because nearly everyone in this thread seems to be thinking along the same lines, but do you realize that there are multiple GOTY awards? Please correct me if I'm wrong because I really don't know, but to the best of my knowledge there isn't a most prestigious GOTY award like there is an Oscar at the Academy Awards for cinema. Because of this, you can't really authoritatively say that one game is the true GOTY.

Yes TES games do quite well and often win GOTY awards, but I do know for a fact that Nintendo games, especially Zelda games, win GOTY awards as well. Three out of the last four console Zelda games (Majora's Mask is the exception, but to be fair it did win fan's choice game of the decade at Gamefaqs for 2000-2009) have won GOTY awards. If you go by aggregate reviewers (which I would argue are the most authoritative sources of determining the rankings of games), then Nintendo games win GOTY more frequently than any other developer. On Gamerankings, Nintendo games have been GOTY 5 out of the last 10 years (Metriod Prime, Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, Super Mario Galaxy, Super Mario Galaxy 2).

Yes, every site has its own GOTY awards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom