• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild What would Zelda Wii U need to accomplish to save the Wii U?

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
What exactly will Zelda Wii U have to offer in order to be that game that saves the Wii U? I think we all can agree the Wii U is far from what Nintendo was expecting. Its sales are very low when compared to such consoles as the Xbox One, and the Playstation 4. In order for Nintendo to hang on their last chance is to release popular games to hope that will boost sales for the Wii U. Zelda Wii U is projected to be released late this year. Could it be that game that everyone will go out and buy a Wii U to play? What will the game need to consist of to make it that appealing?

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
It's not gonna do that.

First the game does not have that look about it that will appeal to mass market.
It has a lovely anime style to it but that is not what the people want. They would prefer something like the tech demo.
Unfortunately because it is a wii u game it will not look as good as the open world game Witcher 3 on the powerful XBONE and PS4. Going down the more realistic route would render the game even less impressive by comparison.

The game would also need to feature graphic nudity and gore to get the sales really high.

The people who will buy Zelda are probably Nintendo fans, the majority of who will have wii U's already.

Things are not looking up for Wii U. It is beyond saving in the sense that it will never come close to the sales of xbox and PS of this gen. Zelda will do well for a wii U game I'm sure, but that is all that will be said for it. 'it sold well for a wii U game'

The WiiU does not need saving in this way. It's doing fine. 2014 and 2015 saved it to a point of respectability. And Nintendo's focus now is pumping out good games till the end of the WiiU's era and making sure the next console does not follow the same mistakes.

So the direct answer to this topic is this:
Be one of the games in 2014 and 2015 that keep the WiiU alive till the next console hits. That's basically it. It's just one game in the many that till keep the WiiU afloat. And by games here I mean good games. But that will happens as the WiiU does not have the mountains of crapware that the Wii had.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
Given everything Aonuma has said about this game, there's no way it can save the Wii U or anything close.

snakeoiltanker

Wake Up!
it would need to fulfill the promises that have already made, and have plenty of side quest giving you useful items. The large world better not be a bluff to crate Buss. And i hate to say it, but make it a reboot instead of a timeline placement. He seems like hes not already a hero. more of a wanderer, kinda kinda like how link met Impa... or was it Zelda where im deemed him a hero,when they needed one, and Link said eff it. Lots of secret spots, not as side quest, but as a way to find heart or lots of rupees. cuz it really seems all to be somethng to be excited about it

Sales wise, the Wii U is a done deal. All they can hope for is that they release non stop quality games and be remembered for great content/games.

I don't think that Zelda U can do anything for the Wii U now. I don't think it ever could have either, though; the cle-shading style is still judged too harshly by the majority of the gaming community, those who enjoy the grey/mopey titles that are so commonplace in gaming now that appear on ps3/4 and 360Xbone are what people want, perhaps if Zelda U looked more like The Last of Us then maybe more Nintendo-outsiders would have bought into it but even then i don't think it would have done much more.

I think the Wii U being saved is more so down to the likes of Metroid and Starfox because they have more of edgier tone, the gaming community as a whole still remembers how good Prime was on the Gamecube, an HD Prime or HD 3rd person Metroid game will turn some heads and be more in line with what most people want, photo-realistic shooters.

So yeah, i dont think Zelda U can do anything for the Wii U, it just isn't what the majority seem to want, like most of what Nintendo puts out.

Iridescence

Emancipated Wind Fish
Also, putting all your eggs in one basket is a bad thing. When you propose something extreme (like one game being the difference between a console you hate and a console you love), you're bound to be disappointed really easily.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
Also, putting all your eggs in one basket is a bad thing. When you propose something extreme (like one game being the difference between a console you hate and a console you love), you're bound to be disappointed really easily.

Sure, but thing is Nintendo has already used up the majority of its best eggs, which really had no results.

Aku

To put it point blank:

The game would have to feel like it's worth dropping $300 on a gaming console just to play that one game.

Will it? I don't know. The only way I could conceivably see that is if it has 3-5 games worth of content, a mind blowing story, and a way to interact with the NCPs in ways that you haven't been able to do before, including the enemies. Plus have Ganondorf change into Ganon (or have Ganon show up) in such a way to make you crap your pants.

And the chance of having all of that, would be the same of me winning the lottery. I don't really have much faith at this point, personally I think they needed to have more 'grownup' games for the WiiU besides Bayonetta and ZombieU, because I think what deters people is the presence of too many 'kiddy' games, or a limited degree of big-hitter franchises (Zelda, Metroid, Mario, etc.) They have to try and work on more stuff that interests people, or even the next console might fail.

To save the Wii U, the new Zelda Wii U would have to be packaged with a better battery for the gamepad as well as an antenna which would let users play/watch from a different room.

CrimsonCavalier

Fuzzy Pickles
Saving? Who said the Wii U needed saving?

It's not going to make units fly off the shelves, if that's what we're talking about. Yeah, some people have been holding off getting a U until Zelda or Star Fox or whatever other IP they like, but I'd say that the game is going to have to be some kind of magical to sell millions of consoles.

That said, the U doesn't need saving! It already has, by far, the best software library of the 3 current generation consoles, and 2015 is already giving us even more. As far as the U is concerned, as long as Nintendo continues to support it until a few years after the Wii 3 comes out, it'll be fine. It's going to be remembered as a console with some of the best games out there, even if in sales it did poorly, much like the GameCube.

ihateghirahim

The Fierce Deity
Well, I don't know if 'saving' is the right word. But to be a trend-setter like OoT was it will have to vastly improve both gameplay and story-teling. It will need to find a balance between both of those ideas and the classic action/puzzle debate. These are the two challenges every Zelda game must face. Some suceed more towards the story like SS, while some get away with less story like ALBW. Some strive for an action-packed adventure like TP, while others are more remembered for challenging puzzles like OoT and Zelda II (yeah, I know this is all debatable). Where will Zelda U fall? I don't know, but I hope it finds the right niche.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom