• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

thePlinko

What’s the character limit on this? Aksnfiskwjfjsk
ZD Legend
I'd have to say the lack of a stat system is what's keeping from being fully acknowledged as an RPG then
IGN
997667a91fb83bff1c27dc0230fe8889.png

Wikipedia

726d514961bf55cb5321c0850fdee714.png

Steam
6ce31007964006e0a01de70d5f06ffda.png
But we’ve already established that a stat system isn’t directly tied to a game being an RPG or not.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
That’s not directly controlling it at any point whatsoever. You commanded it to move to a location, and then it moved. You didn’t make it walk there yourself.

No, you very much control it directly. This feels like a very weird line to dry and draw for an RPG.

thePlinko

ZD Legend

No, you very much control it directly. This feels like a very weird line to dry and draw for an RPG.

I was talking in Fire Emblem. We’ve already established that Baldur’s Gate can be directly controlled, at least in movement. I’m saying that the simple fact that that character is in dialogue isn’t what makes it directly controlled.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
I was talking in Fire Emblem. We’ve already established that Baldur’s Gate can be directly controlled, at least in movement. I’m saying that the simple fact that that character is in dialogue isn’t what makes it directly controlled.
My apologies. It's early in the weekend and I'm a couple drinks in.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
But we’ve already established that a stat system isn’t directly tied to a game being an RPG or not.
my answer for this thread was a form of character based progression system, whether it's leveling up a character or weapons

while I don't think having it automatically makes it an RPG (SotN), I do feel not having it makes it not an RPG (Paper Mario Origami King)

thePlinko

ZD Legend
my answer for this thread was a form of character based progression system, whether it's leveling up a character or weapons

while I don't think having it automatically makes it an RPG (SotN), I do feel not having it makes it not an RPG (Paper Mario Origami King)
that seems like a really specific line to draw, especially since I think that nearly every game ever has that to some extent, including Sid Meier’s Pirates.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
that seems like a really specific line to draw, especially since I think that nearly every game ever has that to some extent, including Sid Meier’s Pirates.
heck especially nowadays
I just put the most stock in the leveling aspect since the role playing and decision making covers an even larger range of games, though it still makes it that even this genre is varied too
strategy, action, turn based, whatever the heck KotOR is

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom