• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
Well it’s mainly because indirect control is the most common element that unites the vast majority of RPGs that isn’t “has stats.”

We already agree that “stats” don’t necessarily make a game an RPG, right? I also wouldn’t call a stat system an RPG element either for that reason. I want to define the genre to something that’s almost exclusive to it, and the only thing I can think of is “indirect control of 1 or more characters” as it’s primary challenge.
in the context of Smash, don't you yourself call Sora an RPG rep? b/c Kingdom Hearts itself is an action RPG

the implementation of stats is something to consider too, stats may not make an RPG but they do all have stats

thePlinko

What’s the character limit on this? Aksnfiskwjfjsk
ZD Legend
in the context of Smash, don't you yourself call Sora an RPG rep? b/c Kingdom Hearts itself is an action RPG
Doesn’t KH also require you to indirectly control Donald and Goofy as well as use menus for spells? I guess it’s kinda in a grey area but there’s definitely some indirect control in there.

the implementation of stats is something to consider too, stats may not make an RPG but they do all have stats
No I could definitely bring up a few games without stats, at least in the sense that you’re talking about, that I’d definitely consider RPG’s. Sid Meiers Pirates is a go to.

thePlinko

ZD Legend
I think you're confusing gameplay perspective with gameplay. You very much directly control the actions of your party members.
No I’m not. If you have to tell a party member what to do instead of actually taking control of them yourself then it’s indirect. Clicking a spot in the level and then watching your character walk there is pretty definitively indirect control.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
No I’m not. If you have to tell a party member what to do instead of actually taking control of them yourself then it’s indirect. Clicking a spot in the level and then watching your character walk there is pretty definitively indirect control.
Well, you do control them directly whenever you plug in a controller or just hold the mouse button down. Additionally, whichever one you control is treated as the main character in dialogue, gameplay, and cutscenes. I'd call that pretty direct control.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
Doesn’t KH also require you to indirectly control Donald and Goofy as well as use menus for spells? I guess it’s kinda in a grey area but there’s definitely some indirect control in there.

No I could definitely bring up a few games without stats, at least in the sense that you’re talking about, that I’d definitely consider RPG’s. Sid Meiers Pirates is a go to.
no, Donald and Goofy are AI controlled (hence all the memes of them screwing you over), and the spell selection happens in real time, you're in full control of Sora and wacking things around

yeah I really can't speak for Hideo Kojima's Tom Clancy's Tyler Perry's John Carpenter's Sam Raimi's Sid Meier's Pirates, but looking it up I'm seeing stuff like strategy and action adventure, sometimes RPG

thePlinko

ZD Legend
Well, you do control them directly whenever you plug in a controller or just hold the mouse button down.
Hmm. Maybe you do have a point here. I guess I haven’t seen enough of it to really know.

Additionally, whichever one you control is treated as the main character in dialogue, gameplay, and cutscenes. I'd call that pretty direct control.
Why would one specific character being in a cutscene or dialogue have anything to do with whether a game is directly or indirectly controlled?

no, Donald and Goofy are AI controlled (hence all the memes of them screwing you over), and the spell selection happens in real time, you're in full control of Sora and wacking things around
Maybe I’m just not too familiar with the series, I don’t remember any of that from what I’ve played.
yeah I really can't speak for Hideo Kojima's Tom Clancy's Tyler Perry's John Carpenter's Sam Raimi's Sid Meier's Pirates, but looking it up I'm seeing stuff like strategy and action adventure, sometimes RPG
Well you’re pretty clearly roleplaying as a pirate, your actions as a pirate actively have an effect on the world, and every aspect beyond the occasional ship battle is indirectly controlled. I feel like it checks off every mark that the three of us have proposed to be a requirement minus the stat system.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
Why would one specific character being in a cutscene or dialogue have anything to do with whether a game is directly or indirectly controlled?
All party members appear in cutscenes, but whichever one was being directly controlled at the time is treated as the one dictating the conversation in the cutscenes. You still select all the responses, but the speaker can be different. So, direct control over the character and stuff.

thePlinko

ZD Legend
All party members appear in cutscenes, but whichever one was being directly controlled at the time is treated as the one dictating the conversation in the cutscenes. You still select all the responses, but the speaker can be different.
Once again, I wouldn’t call that direct control. Lets say that the same thing happened in, say, Fire Emblem. Whichever unit you just moved on the grid into another one now initiates a conversation instead of a battle. That unit is still a part of the conversation and you now have the dialogue options as if they’re the ones talking. Fire Emblem is about as indirectly controlled as it gets, is it now all of a sudden directly controlled as soon as that unit appears in dialogue?

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
Once again, I wouldn’t call that direct control. Lets say that the same thing happened in, say, Fire Emblem. Whichever unit you just moved on the grid into another one now initiates a conversation instead of a battle. That unit is still a part of the conversation and you now have the dialogue options as if they’re the ones talking. Fire Emblem is about as indirectly controlled as it gets, is it now all of a sudden directly controlled as soon as that unit appears in dialogue?
It's directly controlled at all points. You're always directly controlling at least one character, except during combat where you directly control all of them (or during forced turn-based mode where you also directly control everyone).

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
Well you’re pretty clearly roleplaying as a pirate, your actions as a pirate actively have an effect on the world, and every aspect beyond the occasional ship battle is indirectly controlled. I feel like it checks off every mark that the three of us have proposed to be a requirement minus the stat system.
I'd have to say the lack of a stat system is what's keeping from being fully acknowledged as an RPG then
IGN
997667a91fb83bff1c27dc0230fe8889.png

Wikipedia

726d514961bf55cb5321c0850fdee714.png

Steam
6ce31007964006e0a01de70d5f06ffda.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom