• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What Legend of Zelda Game Should I Start Out With?

J

johny1987

I've never played a legend of Zelda game before but I wanna try it. I need a game for GAMECUBE probably the first Zelda game. Which one is the first?

M

MountainTroll

first game, i would reccomend the wind waker, because it's probably the easiest, and the most rewarding, but the most most classic, if you have a gamecube, would be ocarina of time..... do it.

Shroom

The Artist Formally Known as Deku Shroom™
If you can get your hands on Master Quest then either Orcarina of Time or Majoras Mask would be good. Wind Waker is good too, but the only reason I didn't list that at first is mainly due to the collecting part of the game that comes later on in the game.

Hope this helps :)

Djinn

and Tonic
The most iconic Zelda titles i most people's eyes are Ocarina of Time or Link to the Past. While most other games are an extension of the themes created in those two. Wind Waker is a very fun game to play, and is a little easier than most. But it does come off as a sort of indirect sequel to Ocarina of Time. But for a gamecube I would recommend trying to get your hands on the collector's edition.

250px-CollectorsEdition.jpg

And start out with Ocarina of Time. It will introduce you to the control scheme as well as the setting. Every other game a similar design. It also has Majoras Mask, the sequel on N64 to Ocarina of Time. And for fun, the original 8bit Legend of Zelda and Zelda 2. I think there is a short demo of Wind Waker on it as well, it has been a few years since I last played the collectors disk. But this will fully introduce you to all things Zelda.

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
I would recommend Twilight Princess.

It has the elements of the basic legend common to the games, a very attractive art style (the temples and ruins around Hyrule are GORGEOUS), the chance to play a transformation (the wolf), and is fairly simple. It's the first Legend of Zelda game my fiance' successfully completed and it prooved to be an excellent one for him. This game is especially recommended if you prefer something with a darker or "grittier" style over "light."

If you prefer "light" go with Wind Waker - I found it an easier game than TP and it has a certain charming storybook quality.

My very first Zelda game was the original/classic 8-bit Legend of Zelda, but I'm also kind of "old." - It was the only one around back when I was a kid! Compared to latter Zelda games, it's hard and frustrating while the latter games - what they have in "lack of skill" required to play them, they make up for in story and visuals. If you're new to gaming in general, or to LoZ's "adventure" style, I'd definitely recommend TP or WW as starter-games.

butterbiscuit

- Do Not Eat -
I agree with Djinn, for me the Collector's Edition was essential to my Zelda experience as I do not have an N64, SNES, or NES, so I wouldn't be able to play the originals. It was a good introduction for me, and it would probably be the best for you.

O

Oni

The most iconic Zelda titles i most people's eyes are Ocarina of Time or Link to the Past. While most other games are an extension of the themes created in those two. Wind Waker is a very fun game to play, and is a little easier than most. But it does come off as a sort of indirect sequel to Ocarina of Time. But for a gamecube I would recommend trying to get your hands on the collector's edition.

250px-CollectorsEdition.jpg

And start out with Ocarina of Time. It will introduce you to the control scheme as well as the setting. Every other game a similar design. It also has Majoras Mask, the sequel on N64 to Ocarina of Time. And for fun, the original 8bit Legend of Zelda and Zelda 2. I think there is a short demo of Wind Waker on it as well, it has been a few years since I last played the collectors disk. But this will fully introduce you to all things Zelda.

i got one of those for 15$ on craigslist, not to expensive

ZeldaMaster

Lightning Farron
I agree with Djinn because the collectors edition is the game you want because it comes with LoZ, AoL,OoT,MM and the sneak peak of WW so you can play the first but I recommend OoT or MM

Beeker

Wild Card
Since you have a Gamecube, you have access to quite a few good Zelda games. The best thing to get is what you got, the Collector's Edition, because it has Ocarina, Majora's Mask, and the first two games. Some of the greatest games in the series, in one disc!

It may have been said already, but if you love story and plot in your games, then play Wind Waker or Twilight Princess. These games both have amazing stories, aren't as hard as earlier games, and both are beautiful looking (though their styles differ quite a bit XD)

So as you can see, you have a lot of choices. All of them are fantastic games. You can't go wrong with any!

I would start off basic before going further. Like start off with the original Legend of Zelda, Zelda II, and so on and so on.
But I played Ocarina of Time, then Legend of Zelda, and whatever whatever.
Acutally, it doesn't really matter what you start off with as long as you know who and what a main character role is during the game.

You don't really don't need anyone to tell you what game to start off with. Just decide what game interest's you the most and play it. ;)

Meego

~Dancer in the Dark~
I agree by saying the collector's edition. I have that disc and it has The Legend of Zelda, Adventure of Link, Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask as well as a Wind Waker demo. I'd say start with that...for your first Zelda game, I'd say play Ocarina of Time first because the origina; LoZ is not as good and not really that obvious. Have fun in the amazing world that is ZELDDAAA! ^^ :D :lol: :xd:

Tony

Stardust Crusaders
I would also suggest Collectors Edition, if you can get your hands on it. It has a great selection of games. I would say that you should play OoT and LoZ on it first because, it gives you the feel of Zelda games after that point. I would also recomend Link's Awakening it is a great game with a perfect difficulty. Good luck and happy gaming.

February Eve

ZD District Attorney
I'd be curious how many games you've played before and what your comfort level is with difficulty. I'm going to mention the ones on that Collector's Disc first. "The Legend of Zelda" is the first game ever released. It's also the most nonlinear and it has hardly any direction in it about where to go. It's a good choice if you really want a challenge. I'd recommend finding a non-spoilery map, though, unless you plan to draw one yourself. It can come in handy.

"Zelda II: The Adventure of Link" is one I can't speak for personally, as I still need to play it. But I know that it's the only side-scrolling game and it's also a good one if you're really looking for a challenge.

"Ocarina of Time" (commonly abbreviated OoT) is iconic and the first one I've mentioned that's 3D. If you're a frequent gamer you won't have any trouble with it, but it still has a fair amount of difficulty and it has more story than the ones that came before it. It's actually pretty balanced compared to the previous titles and some of the later ones.

"Majora's Mask" is a direct sequel to OoT. Again, if you game frequently you won't have trouble with it. If not, I'd recommend starting with OoT and then playing MM to get the hang of the puzzles. There are also a lot of sidequests in this one that are easy to miss if you're not inclined to look for them.

Moving on to those games released for the Gamecube that aren't on the Collector's disc. One is "The Wind Waker." It contains references to OoT, though you can still understand the story without playing that. Enemy difficulty is easier on this game compared to earlier games, but it's still easy to miss the sidequests, and sailing can get boring if you're the type who wants to go from plot point to plot point without exploring. I personally don't mind it (sailing) as long as I'm exploring islands and using my treasure maps, though.

And the last I'll mention is "Twilight Princess." Also has easier enemies, and it's pretty good about telling you where to go next, and in that respect it's a good intro to the series if you've not played many games in general, not just Zelda. Plenty of fans who have played multiple games, self included, have it as a favorite, but others felt it was one of the weaker ones. Obviously no way to tell for yourself until you've played it, but again, I mention it in case difficulty is a factor in your decision.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Yeah, I agree with starting with Collector's Edition. Despite it's name, it's actually fairly common (at least where I live). Ocarina of Time should be your first Zelda game, as most reference it as the first Zelda game in the "timeline", and I think it's control scheme will be reused in further 3D Zelda games. After you play OoT, you could branch out to Majora's Mask (also on Collector's Edition), or you could get Wind Waker (separate disc; there is a 20 minute demo on Collector's Edition).

Keep in mind, though, that none of the Zelda games are actually "hard"; the only game that I know that is truly difficult is Adventure of Link (also on Collector's Edition). As February Eve and others said, it's the only Zelda game with the side-scrolling element like the 2D Mario games. If you want to start easy and you decide to get Collector's Edition, start with OoT. If you want a moderately hard game, you could go get Wind Waker or Twilight Princess before Collector's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom