• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Skyward Sword What is the Crimson Loftwing's Purpose?

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
So I've been playing Skyward Sword (JP) for a bit, time and time again the Crimson Loftwing is acknowledged as a rare bird; unique, in a sense. After the introductory period is over, the Loftwing is all but dropped from the narrative, merely serving as Link's transport....from what I can tell on the surface (pun intended).

Just what IS the Crimson Loftwing's purpose? Is there anything I'm missing as far as the narrative is concerned? Thanks a ton.

The Crimson Loftwing is symbol of a special destiny that awaits for Link in my interpretation, since Loftwings chose their riders and the Crimson Loftwing is almost considered to be an extinct breed. Originally the Crimson Loftwing was intended to be the only thing that can penetrate the cloud barriers below, explaining why Link is the only one able to search for Zelda in the surface, but it was later scrapped.

If we were to include the Skyward Sword Manga as part of canon, then the Crimson Loftwing was once a mighty paragon deity of the Loftwings, similar to Hylia of the humans. It considered all humans to be unworthy of the being its rider until it witnessed Hylia's Chosen Hero in battle. When the hero was mortally wounded, the Loftwing asked the hero to be it's rider so they can deliver the Master Sword to Hylia in order to raise Skyloft. The hero asked the Loftwing would watch over his people in the Sky and promises to be its rider for all eternity. Although the hero and the Goddess managed to lift Skyloft into the heavens, the hero dies and regrets that he could not fulfill his promise to the Crimison Loftwing. Thousands of years, a reincarnation of the Crimson Loftwing appeared before Link during his youth and the two immediately formed a bond with one another due to their past life and promise. But that's the manga's story, take for what it's worth.

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
Well, I recall during the search for the Crimson Loftwing in the beginning that Zelda says it has a special connection with Link. He'd somehow be able to sense its whereabouts and call it to him...or some such faculty. I'm failing at understanding it myself. Either my memory is flawed, or Nintendo only brought it up at the start of the game. But as you said, Link's Loftwing didn't get as much facetime as it could have. Hylia possibly had some intended purpose for it in mind, given that it has a strong link (no pun intended) with its rider. Yet we don't see anything like this after the Ceremony.

Yeah... Beyond that, it only serves as a transportation method.

Random Person

Just Some Random Person
Unless there was an original purpose that was taken out, there does indeed seem to be a lack of purpose. From what I can tell, the crimson loftwing was meant to do a couple of specific things that may not be easy for people to spot. The first purpose was to link the red bird on the Hylian shield to a specific purpose. There has been alot of speculation as to what this exactly means. By specifically giving Link and only Link a red loftwing, it's easier for the player to connect the traditional shield to the original hero. If just anyone could have a red bird, you could still connect it to Link, but this situation makes it that much easier. Another reason is more recognition that Link is special. Notice how Groose says "and I don't care how tough those bird are supposed to be." This is a sign that not only is Link's bird special in rarity, but also in endurance. Apparently Link and his bird also share a connection more deep than most people in Skyloft have with their bird. Pretty much everything about this particular loftwing is special. By gaining this rare bird, it is a continuing demonstration that Link is not only the hero of the story, but a chosen hero. Like that one guy from Clash of the Titans, his journey is made easier by gifts. Though I have no direct proof that Hylia gave Link his loftwing, this sentence by Gaebora is very convincing. "[...]loftwings, the guardian birds that the goddess bestows upon each of us as a symbol of her divine protection."

So while Link having a crimson loftwing did not serve a purpose specifically to the plot, it was a symbol of other literature means. I do believe, though, that an addition to the plot would've helped enhanced SS's story a great deal.

ihateghirahim

The Fierce Deity
Well, I seem to recall a huge boss fight with the legendary Pokemon Gyrogre involving your Loftwing in the Thunderdome. That is both epic and important to the game. Anyway, he really doesn't serve too much a purpose, but he does more than Epona ever did (sorry Epona). There is also a theorized connection between him and the bird on the Hylian crest. The HH manga draws on this more,, but I don't think it's canon. In that, he is Hylia's and the later the original Link's loftwing. He later waits thousands of years for Link to be reborn so that he can help him save Hyrule. This is almost certainly unofficial, but I still think he's really cool despite being underused. I hope I've answered your question. Let's just hope nintendo puts him back in a later game, for he's is a transport like no other.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
Nope you nailed it. It's just a transport. They tried to offer this special connection, but really, I just don't feel it. It's dropped too early and it's not even given a name.

Oh, I should've added this to my response in the thread "Waste of a Good Character." They could've done SO much with the crimson loftwing...Link's supposed to have a special bond with the bird, why didn't we see that in action? Any heartwarming cutscenes? Link had a few moments with Epona in TP...like when Epona went crazy and you had to calm her down.

Again, my biggest complaint about SS:
It was a game with great ideas that weren't exploited to even a fraction of their potential. The mediocre Sky World, the lack of significance in characters like the Knights Academy students and the unnamed Loftwing, its placement at the beginning of the timeline.... blah blah blah.

I thought its purpose was to make me feel uncomfortable thinking it was gonna peck my eyes out at any given moment because of how angry it looks all the time...

I thought all of the Loftwings had connections to their riders but i dont think anyone is sure at what SS mentions at any one time.
In fanfiction style (which i still feel that SS is) the Crimson Loftwing is just there and 'being rare' just so Link seems more special, you know how the main characters in fanfictions, often Mary Sues, always have to have the best kit etc, that is what the Crimson Loftwing was for me an 'i have one and you don't i'm set to save the world because i've got good stuff' kind of thing.

Wasted character and plot element sure, it would have been nice if it was unique in helpful ways during the game piercing the cloud barrier may have been fun.

Last edited:

Dragoncat

Twilit wildcat: Aerofelis
I think it's just a rare color. *runs off to get theory image*
loftwing_colors_by_rubydragoncat-d4wno46.png

The sprites kinda suck because I made them a long time ago and cba to update them, but you can see my point. Gaepora called it "a color so rare we thought it vanished from the line". This implies that crimson red has shown up before, Link's isn't the only crimson loftwing ever to exist. Oh, and the tail feather differences...that's another theory of mine. Males have longer tail feathers. If a color has just one sprite, it means it can only be male or only be female.

Also, I believe Nintendo gave him a crimson one to explain the red bird on the hylian shield. Chosen hero of legend had a red bird, yada yada.

Last edited:

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
Yeah I also thought this...

One of the many thing's that Skyward Sword could have utilised better, the concept of the idea was great and I did enjoy leaping off the edge of an island to land upon my Loftwing and exploring. However I came to realise the "exploring" aspect was very little....There was very much to do in the Sky apart from gathering treasures which seemed like a pointless taks, travelling between the very few islands the sky had to offer and to reach quest points in the game.

I thought the whole idea of the "sky" was going to be a really large part of the game however it served as nothing but a short distance between portals or openings to the surface world as a whole. This made really decreased the importancy of the Crimson Loftwing in my opinion and the only time in the game that I felt it was actually a part of the story was the battle with Levius. The whole idea of flying could have certainly been used better! We could have had a larger sky world with more island's or even the ability to take the Loftwing down to the surface.

Nintendo definitely dropped the ball on this one, the symbol of the Loftwing was placed symbolically on the Hylian Shield but what exactly was this for? For me the Loftwing barely added to the main events in Skyward Sword, so this was how exactly did this end up as a main symbol of the Hylian Shield standing next to the likes of the Triforce...

Draymorath

Destroyer of Destruction
The only real function of Link's Loftwing is to provide him with transportation. It has relatively little plot importance, and just about no characterization whatsoever....Sure does fit for Link in that aspect, doesn't it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom