• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What if They Rebooted the Series...

basement24

There's a Bazooka in TP!
Given the series is gearing up for installment 15 and 16, maybe it's time for a refresher. What if Nintendo rebooted the Zelda series and started completely over again? What would you be open to having happen to the series to make it new again?

There could be a new beginning point that started off the series from a new #1 title with a clean slate. It would still use familiar characters, but they would be tweaked of course, and no lore from past games would matter. It's worked for movies like Batman, James Bond and Star Trek, and video games seem to be following suit on other systems.

Tomb Raider is undergoing a switch to survival horror as a new origin tale for Lara. What if there were a new beginning where Link and Zelda are children, and we watch them (the SAME them, not "100 years after" them) grow up over the period of a few games? What if it were a God Of War action / adventure title? What about full-blown RPG?

I know a lot of people will say no, Zelda is tried and true, but think for a minute before posting. I don't want to see "Thes iz a bad ideea!!!111!!" answers.

Think about what you WOULD be open to happening. If you aren't open to this change, or the concept thereof, then don't worry yourself with a response. I'm hoping for creative concept answers! :)

A reboot would actually be best for the series now. Maybe go back to the basics with original aspects and go from there again.

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
I am NOT in favor of this. These are games with a 20+ year legend, to just go and rehash now would feel... a bit like betrayl to me?

However, if something like this were done, the one thing I think I'd like to see is a solid, clear, coherent, actually-planned-from-the-beginning Timeline. That is, make the games in a series from beginning to end, no prequels or interquels and make a clear, solid, obvious Timeline.

Kazumi

chagy
I for one, would love this. And I think this is what they need to do. After Zelda Wii that is, because it is already to late for that. I would love a Zelda RPG, something like FF. And I also agree with Shads, make a nice clear cut timeline.

If they were to do this, I would want it to be made into a massive game, maybe one that spans over multiple discs. The game would need many fresh ideas, and not even a hint of the Triforce, Hyrule, Din, Nayru, Farore, The Master Sword or any of that stuff. It needs to be really fresh. An RPG would be nice, but make it with many Zelda elements, such as Dungeons, special items, an overworld. Lots of Zelda things like that. Plus FF type RPG things. It would be great, and I think it may need to be done soon to keep the series alive.

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
I for one, would love this. And I think this is what they need to do. After Zelda Wii that is, because it is already to late for that. I would love a Zelda RPG, something like FF. And I also agree with Shads, make a nice clear cut timeline.

If they were to do this, I would want it to be made into a massive game, maybe one that spans over multiple discs. The game would need many fresh ideas, and not even a hint of the Triforce, Hyrule, Din, Nayru, Farore, The Master Sword or any of that stuff. It needs to be really fresh. An RPG would be nice, but make it with many Zelda elements, such as Dungeons, special items, an overworld. Lots of Zelda things like that. Plus FF type RPG things. It would be great, and I think it may need to be done soon to keep the series alive.

Huh? If they got rid of that stuff, it wouldn't be Zelda....

Heck, I just got done writing a fan fiction that was a MASSIVE AU and I even included all those elements.

Zelda is a RPG. ROLE Playing Game. It is just an action based RPG. FF is a turn based RPG.

Kazumi

chagy
Well, I suppose they could keep Hyrule as the setting. But what I mean is a huge game with all of the Zelda characters, in an RPG. It would need to have a very intricate plot, and all that sort of thing. It would be a game with all of the Zelda characters you know and love, and the mechanics of the game, such as Dungeons, Special Items, the Overworld, Collecting Stones, or Pendents or whatever from beating the Dungeon boss. But it would also have the aspects of an RPG with a heavy plot. But it would be a new plot. Not with the Triforce, and the Master Sword and that stuff. And it would not fit in with any of the other games. It would be fresh and new.

EDIT: I'm talking about a Turn Based RPG Avenged.

Vash03

Needz Moar.... Zelda, NAO
Huh? If they got rid of that stuff, it wouldn't be Zelda....

Heck, I just got done writing a fan fiction that was a MASSIVE AU and I even included all those elements.

I agree with Shadsie there.. leave the larger elements of the game.. The triforce has been there since LoZ. You can't just drop things like that and the goddesses. Anyway.. What if they were already doing that for the new Zelda for Wii? We don't really know anything about it.. It's possible isn't it? It's a great idea IMO. I mean, people would still of course not abandon the original series of games. But this would be like The Ledgend Of Zelda: Forbidden Timeline or something.. Oh... and as far as a FF type Zelda... Say no... Why would you ever wish turn based RPG on Zelda? =[ I mean, as far as the amazing amounts of sidequests, which can all lead you down a different path, but in the end you will still be in the same place, that's cool.. just no battle menu... no turn based fighting..

angelkid

TRR = SWEET
I would be prepared for something different. I want them to stick with the standard game formula, keep the games the way they are. No levelling up bullcrap. What I would welcome would be something Groundbreaking. What I want, is Link (if you even played as Link) to have to do something new to beat Ganondorf or Vaati or whoever. I am getting tired of, collect this, get the Master Sword use your superior skill to beat the baddy. I want Link to have to... I don't know, build up a Guild of Warriors or something, each with strengths to defeat the bad guy as a team.

Or to defeat the bad guy in a different way. I'd love them to make a new kind of TP, but instead of Link doing what he did, I'd love him to join that band of people who are working as a small unit in an attempt to take down Ganondorfs empire. I'd love to destroy everything he owns and values before going in and kicking the crap out of him. What'd be completely awesome would be if you say destroyed Ganon's tower, all his minions ETC and Ganon would get so angry that he would actually come after you! That'd be new and fresh and interesting.

However, the one thing I'd Welcome the most. Hell, I'd love, would be the once and for all death of Ganon. Complete erradication from time itself. So he can never EVER come back.

Vincent

Retired Super Mod and HK
Although I like to see progressing in the timeline, I really wouldn't mind a reboot. I mean, it wouldn't be all bad. It's not like they would remake all the games. It'd be more like making entirely new ones, and scrapping the whole timeline, or even the possibility of having a timeline. I'm sure it would anger a lot of people though, but that's their problem.

Immortal_One

Math is power.
I'm not sure I fully understand the concept that you're bringing to the table Basement, but from what I can infer, you're saying you want to reboot the series by starting the storyline completely from scratch, scraping the original gameplay and completely revamping the series, while keeping the major characters the same.

The idea sounds alright, but I'm more of a traditional Zelda enthusiast. I want to play Zelda games the way they always were, with very little to no drastic changes. If someone is struck with a completely new and original idea for the Zelda series, I would rather see them develop a brand new game rather than just totally revamp the Zelda series, which is more than twenty years old.

TVTMaster

Guy What's Angry Now
For one thing, the traditional Zelda gameplay is one of the most engaging and unique things in gaming, and dropping it entirely would really deprive people of a truly fun experience that really can't be duplicated.

But for another thing, I wouldn't want them to start a new, clean slate primarily because they're not done yet! There are so many holes and threads and stuff in the current continuity, all with so many angles to explore and events to happen, that just dropping a narrative work in progress to essentially make a new IP is just a really bad move.

I mean, Zelda is Zelda. Dropping both its fundamental gameplay and its setting is tantamount to creating an entirely new IP- slapping Link and other familiar characters/races would really just be a cop-out. Zelda belongs to Nintendo, and they already have a flair for turning inventive new game ideas into IPs comparitively easily- like Pikmin, Animal Crossing, and Wii Sports/Fit/Play. You don't need to destroy Zelda to make a fresh new medieval setting with new gameplay.

basement24

There's a Bazooka in TP!
I'm not sure I fully understand the concept that you're bringing to the table Basement

Yeah, unfortunately it doesn't seem like I got the point across. Essentially say the series absolutely HAD to reboot. What would you want the series to become? Either in terms of overall story, or genre, or what have you.

I'm not asking just for opinions on if it's a good idea or not, because I know it will most likely be a resounding "NO!" :P

Immortal_One

Math is power.
Okay, I know what you're saying.

If they completely patched up the series and the whole storyline from beginning to end were revealed, what would we like to see happen to the franchise?
Knowing that the Zelda series as I knew it had completely finished and I felt content with the series at that point, I would be all for breaking tradition.
Darker games with more mature themes and less puzzle action would be a big thing I'd want to see. Or, I'd also be for keeping the puzzle action aspect where it is, but have sort of a futuristic or dystopian world like Final Fantasy VII would be fine too.

Essentially, if I would have to come to terms with the fact that the Zelda series, as radically different as the other video game series I play, would have to end, I wouldn't mind if Zelda were to take themes and ideas from those other video game series and become something totally different and new.

If anything like this were to happen before I was content with the series though, I wouldn't be too happy :P

Essentially say the series absolutely HAD to reboot. What would you want the series to become? Either in terms of overall story, or genre, or what have you.

I would want for the core elements to revisited instead of secondary elements taking priority like they have been doing recently. I would not mind in the least bit if story to take the very back row seat in this "re-boot". I would want complete focus to be on the quality and quantity of the dungeons, a massive over world with plenty to do, and a combat system that is near perfect. Zelda, to me, has become too story driven. I think so many more important elements could be perfected if story was just forgotten about in one game. That's how I would want the series to be if it started over. Completely game play oriented, with no complex story to get in the way of the game play. That's the only reason I play Zelda: To experience amazing game play and get a break from the sometimes repetitive and complex plots that other game series have to offer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom