• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Spoiler What Do You Think SS Was Missing?

This is One Way I Think Skyward Sword Could Have Been W A Y Better Than It Was.

Don't get me wrong I LOVED SKYWARD SWORD. Still do, but here's the thing. Now that the hype has died down and its not fresh and new in my head. I look back on it and think that the boss battles were deeply lacking. Axle asked how and I told him. This is what I said and I'd love to get your opinions on it as well.

1. Repeated battles. Fighting Ghirahim and The Imprisoned over and over wasn't a good idea for DUNGEON BOSSES. Ghirahim SHOULD have been used as someone to fight from STOPPING you from going into a dungeon, not waiting till you finish one and than replacing the boss fight.

The Imprisoned wasn't as bad. He wasn't used a scape goat for lack of ideas for a boss. He was used not as a dungeon boss, but as a boss to advance further in the story.

2. Scaldera, Moldera, Koloktos, and Tentalus were all SEMI great to great bosses / mini bosses. They are what you would expect from dungeon bosses on a Zelda game.

3. It should have had a couple of reacurring bosses from past games. "vovlagia, or the original form of bongo bongo. As a back story game I EXPECTED it to have atleast one backstory to a boss the game was a prequel for.

4. I just think they could have been more original with some bosses and think they what ever ideas they had for bosses, "like a cake boss" but didn't use, would have worked very well inplace of all the Ghirahim fights. I would have loved to of ran into a boss in the sand sea and make use of the time shift stone turning the sand to water to fight it.

5. It would have been nice to have a "boss on the loose". If you remember games like final fantasy 7. The ultimate weapon enemy "thing" it roamed around freely and when you could fight it at anytime after a certain point, but needed to acquire the strength to actually defeat it.

6. A full on battle with Levias "shooting light arrows or something from your loft wing" would have been better than the Bilocyte. Also the same idea, but used to fight a dragon boss flying through the air. This goes along with #5. If a dragon could have been randomly flying around terrorizing the air or skyloft at night, "being part of the reason we aren't allowed to fly at night" than it would have been awesome.

7. #5 also goes along with this. Have each of the 3 lands have their own wondering bosses. It could give us something to do AFTER beating all the dungeons. a simple story would be like this.

Demise is unleashed like he normally is. BUT instead of saying come meet me when your ready bla bla bla. He releases 4 beasts for you to kill. one in each place and one in the sky. Demise says "bla bla bla you have so many days to prove you're turly worthy to taste the blade of my sword, bla bla bla" Link flys off kills the bosses "collects somthing from them" puts them together and it combines to make "something" possibly the hover boots that allows you to walk on clouds so you can fight him without falling through.

That would actually be a good "something" to add in that would of made me perfectly happy with the repeat battles of ghirahim and demise. I just think they were done wrong and shouldn't have been reused to replace what could have been an EPIC boss battle "like one against volvagia or the cakeboss" or demise could of turned the dragon gods into enemies "being why the fire dragon, volvagia, turned evil and had to be killed long ago "looking at it from oots perpective.'"
[4:08:45 PM] Jesse: yeah.. idk. just my opinions

PS. The Mutiny is still on. The CakeBoss will go down!

TwilightDeku

Sage of the Dark Forest
Careful Jesse... the cake might be a lie.

Anyway the only thing I, personally, found lacking about the boss battles was the lack of story behind the bosses. They just sort of... were there. I liked fighting Ghirahim multipul times, but the imprisoned got annoying. The only thing that made it bearable was the epicness of the Grooseinator.

And a roaming boss depicted as you said would be pretty cool too.

Yeah, I agree with you in some stuff. At first, I found the battles against Ghirahim intresting, because it was different from a typical Zelda boss. But then I realised that those battles weren't so interesting, and I found myself wishing Nintendo had putten regular boss fights. It would have been a lot better if the battles against Ghirahim were put somewhere else in the game, like you said.

I guess the battles against The Imprisioned were really nice. What I liked the most about it is the concept of a ''plot boss" instead of a "dungeon boss". The spiral setting of the battle and the "don't let it reach the top" thing. Also, it was interesting having a boss you have to defeat several times, but each time is slightly different. So, in my opinion, the inclusion of the imprisioned was really creative and interesting.

About the bosses you mentioned, there were some really amazing bosses in this game. Kokolos was incredibly fun and Tentalus was just so cinamatographic, dynamic and new. But I was disappointed at some, too. I didn't really like Scaldera, but Moldarach was the biggest disappointment for me (by the way, Armogohma was also a great disappointment in TP. I hope it doesn't become a tradition with the arachnid bosses).

I'm not sure I see Nintendo puttin reacurring in a game, but I
would have loved to have a back story to Bongo Bongo! It was such an interesting and misterious boss!
And "bosses at the loose" would have been awesome as well!

I'm not sure about Demise unleashing other bosses, though. I think it might become just an aditional unecessary arc, like collecting the Triforce in Wind Waker (even though I had no problem in doing this in this last one), and it might become too similar to Shadow of the Colossus as well.

Last edited:
I agree with the bosses, they should have put an original boss in the Skyview Temple and Fire Sanctuary instead of Ghirahim. And the other things you said should totally be used for the next Zelda games!!

Don't get me wrong I LOVED SKYWARD SWORD. Still do, but here's the thing. Now that the hype has died down and its not fresh and new in my head. I look back on it and think that the boss battles were deeply lacking. Axle asked how and I told him. This is what I said and I'd love to get your opinions on it as well.

1. Repeated battles. Fighting Ghirahim and The Imprisoned over and over wasn't a good idea for DUNGEON BOSSES. Ghirahim SHOULD have been used as someone to fight from STOPPING you from going into a dungeon, not waiting till you finish one and than replacing the boss fight.

The Imprisoned wasn't as bad. He wasn't used a scape goat for lack of ideas for a boss. He was used not as a dungeon boss, but as a boss to advance further in the story.

2. Scaldera, Moldera, Koloktos, and Tentalus were all SEMI great to great bosses / mini bosses. They are what you would expect from dungeon bosses on a Zelda game.

3. It should have had a couple of reacurring bosses from past games. "vovlagia, or the original form of bongo bongo. As a back story game I EXPECTED it to have atleast one backstory to a boss the game was a prequel for.

4. I just think they could have been more original with some bosses and think they what ever ideas they had for bosses, "like a cake boss" but didn't use, would have worked very well inplace of all the Ghirahim fights. I would have loved to of ran into a boss in the sand sea and make use of the time shift stone turning the sand to water to fight it.

5. It would have been nice to have a "boss on the loose". If you remember games like final fantasy 7. The ultimate weapon enemy "thing" it roamed around freely and when you could fight it at anytime after a certain point, but needed to acquire the strength to actually defeat it.

6. A full on battle with Levias "shooting light arrows or something from your loft wing" would have been better than the Bilocyte. Also the same idea, but used to fight a dragon boss flying through the air. This goes along with #5. If a dragon could have been randomly flying around terrorizing the air or skyloft at night, "being part of the reason we aren't allowed to fly at night" than it would have been awesome.

7. #5 also goes along with this. Have each of the 3 lands have their own wondering bosses. It could give us something to do AFTER beating all the dungeons. a simple story would be like this.

Demise is unleashed like he normally is. BUT instead of saying come meet me when your ready bla bla bla. He releases 4 beasts for you to kill. one in each place and one in the sky. Demise says "bla bla bla you have so many days to prove you're turly worthy to taste the blade of my sword, bla bla bla" Link flys off kills the bosses "collects somthing from them" puts them together and it combines to make "something" possibly the hover boots that allows you to walk on clouds so you can fight him without falling through.

That would actually be a good "something" to add in that would of made me perfectly happy with the repeat battles of ghirahim and demise. I just think they were done wrong and shouldn't have been reused to replace what could have been an EPIC boss battle "like one against volvagia or the cakeboss" or demise could of turned the dragon gods into enemies "being why the fire dragon, volvagia, turned evil and had to be killed long ago "looking at it from oots perpective.'"
[4:08:45 PM] Jesse: yeah.. idk. just my opinions

PS. The Mutiny is still on. The CakeBoss will go down!

1. I agree, I'd also liked to fight him in other situations than him being a temple's boss.

2. Tentalus was a little too cartoony in my opinion, but other than that, I agree with this point as well.

3. I have to disagree with this one. With all the "nostalgic games" (New Super Mario Bros. etc) and all the remakes Nintendo made over the last few years, I am really happy to see a game that consists of new, original content. Not to say, having Volvagia or Bongo Bongo get killed by Link would make no sense in concern of OoT, where it is clearly stated that ancestors of Darunia and Impa killed those two the first time.

4. I think that they already did a pretty good job with creating new, original bosses. Sure, there could have been one or two more, but the ones we got are really fun and unique I think

5. I like that idea,though this could not have worked as it did in FF7, considering that Zelda is a different type of game. They could not have made it so that you can run into it at any time, but it would have been in certain areas as a skripted event, making sure you always have a fair chance of escaping it, until you face off against with a weapon you can use against it. Maybe they shoul have made it like in the trailer for Twilight Princess, where Link ran away from Gohma? That would be epic.

6. Now that you mention it, using your weaponry on your birds back really is missing in this game. Though I'm not really sure about a giant dragon boss roaming the skies...Maybe if you were told that you have to run from it, this would be okay.

7. I think that every area having their own wandering bosses would be a little too much, at least for my taste. As for Demise releasing them...Well, on the one hand I think if they would all have a unique and fun battle, I would have nothing against it. But on the other hand I think this could also artificially lengthen the game, only teasing you with more and more unnecessary bosses while you already long to finally fight the big bad guy behind all this, who you've already seen.

those are good ideas, but to be honest. i liked the bosses. fighting ghirahim 3 times was totally cool with me. because every time he got harder. but i liked your idea of having him before the dungeons, and then different bosses inside.

i know this is a small thing, but there were NO holes in the ground. every other console zelda game has had random holes in the ground that you find secrets in. but not SS. that really bugged me

T

TheKokiriKid

I've played once through the game, and a few hours into hero mode. The first time I played, it was a great experience, one of my favorites in the series. There were only a few things I noticed that could've made it better.

With the focus on 1:1 remote to sword movement, most of what Link could do was channeled into his sword, which was a good addition to the game. Yet, that focus took away from the other actions Link has done in past games, like the combo moves in TP. I kept waiting for the point where I would be able to use the helm splitter again, but it never came.

I see this a lot on this thread, and I'll echo it here - it seemed small. I was excited to get through the story the first time around, so I stuck to the main plot. Going through it the second time, and working more on the side-stories and other adventures, I found that there was little to do in Skyloft, not much more on the other sky islands, and next to nothing on the surface. Although the linear style of the game provided an excellent first play through, the lack of extra content limits how much there is to do in the game.

I did like how they reused the existing locations in the plot, such as needing to return to Eldin for the pinwheel. That made it unnecessary to say, "we need another dungeon, so let's make an ice mountain." I still wish there were more other locations, maybe one exclusively for non-plot related content.

Niko Bellic 817

GH3: Legends of Rock
*Warning Major Spoilers*

I know this goes against innovation, but I kind of wished there were more songs from past Zelda games. Like when you went into the past in the Sealed Grounds, it would be cool if there was a cameo of the temple of time theme. Since Demise was so similar to Ganon, it would be cool if there was a remixed Ganon's theme when you fought him. I also would want them to use the Faron Woods theme from Twilight Princess, remixed of course. I think Axle mentioned this, but I would prefer the three worlds to be interconnected and to have the option to warp on ground level or in the sky at will. I also would like it if you could have your sword and shield out at the same time like in past games.

I was hoping for BEEDLE to not be in the game because of his annoying voice in the wind waker (Geez whose idea was it to transfer him from toon link timeline to the time the master sword is born)
Hidden skills, a bank to hold $$$$ (not just your useless items)
Being able to explore surface at night (COME ON at least let link be able to do that, it's not the silent realm!!!)

unknown

._.. .. _. _._ morse code
I think that there should have been a one-one sword fight, kind of like how dark link was in AoL, or like he was from OoT, to really showcase the motion combat. I think that demise could have had two sections, one where he was trying to corrupt link or something, so he fought the dark version of himself, and then link fights the demise battle that there is now.

unknown

._.. .. _. _._ morse code
I think that there was a certain element of an Uber-hard sword fight against an opponent that was really close in size to link and had the same kind of combat movements. Other than that, some really complex things that wouldn't be suited to fit here, because I would ramble way too much. That is why I have a brother.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom