• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What Did You Learn Today?

DarthCreeper10

mowing my life away
ZD Champion
Today I learned that the Sun is a superheated ball of plasma, made mostly of hydrogen and powered by nuclear fusion, instead of a big ball of fire. :) ZD Dungeons is school ig

TheGreatCthulhu

Composer of the Night.
ZD Champion
huh??? very confused dizzi!!!
Meaning, the Sun isn't really on fire.

Fire is a combustion reaction, and a combustion reaction is a high-temperature exothermic (heat releasing) redox (oxygen adding) chemical reaction between a fuel and an oxidant, usually atmospheric oxygen.

In other words, burning (another word for combustion) requires fuel and oxygen. The Sun is in space around 93 million miles away, where there is no oxygen, and it's made of mostly hydrogen and helium.

Stars generate light and heat through thermonuclear fusion, essentially, smashing atoms together, causing them to fuse, releasing an enormous amount of energy due to Einstein's mass/energy equivalence.

E = mc^2.

Where E is energy released, m is mass, and c is the speed of light.

In the Sun's core, pressure is so great that hydrogen atoms get so close that their nuclei fuse together, creating helium, and fusing two hydrogen atoms into one helium atom releases an insane amount of energy, and is the science of how a hydrogen bomb works.

Except, now remember the mass of the Sun is 1.989 x 10^30 kg, around 333,000 times the mass of the Earth, and it's made of mostly hydrogen.

Every second, the Sun fuses 700 million tons of hydrogen into 695 million tons of helium, with the remaining 5 million tons being converted into pure energy.

THAT is the source of the light and heat of the Sun. It's around the equivalent of 384.6 septillion watts every second.

And it's been doing it for around 5 billion years so far...

Last edited:

Dizzi

magical internet cat....
ZD Legend
Meaning, the Sun isn't really on fire.

Fire is a combustion reaction, and a combustion reaction is a high-temperature exothermic (heat releasing) redox (oxygen adding) chemical reaction between a fuel and an oxidant, usually atmospheric oxygen.

In other words, burning (another word for combustion) requires fuel and oxygen. The Sun is in space around 93 million miles away, where there is no oxygen, and it's made of mostly hydrogen and helium.

Stars generate light and heat through thermonuclear fusion, essentially, smashing atoms together, causing them to fuse, releasing an enormous amount of energy due to Einstein's mass/energy equivalence.

E = mc^2.

Where E is energy released, m is mass, and c is the speed of light.

In the Sun's core, pressure is so great that hydrogen atoms get so close that their nuclei fuse together, creating helium, and fusing two hydrogen atoms into one helium atom releases an insane amount of energy, and is the science of how a hydrogen bomb works.

Except, now remember the mass of the Sun is 1.989 x 10^30 kg, around 333,000 times the mass of the Earth, and it's made of mostly hydrogen.

Every second, the Sun fuses 700 million tons of hydrogen into 695 million tons of helium, with the remaining 5 million tons being converted into pure energy.

THAT is the source of the light and heat of the Sun. It's around the equivalent of 384.6 septillion watts every second.

And it's been doing it for around 5 billion years so far...
I hope it keeps doim its thing for longer...

GrooseIsLoose

Slickest pompadour in town
ZD Legend
It'd be cool if they said I'm breaking fast rn, or lunching rn like yo desayuno or ich frühstücke
Instead of I'm having lunch

It’s important to continue learning things, that’s how we grow as people. This doesn’t need to be a skill or a habit, it can be as small as a fun fact that you can then share with others. This thread is for the latter.

What is an interesting fact that you learned today? It can be about a hobby, a profession, history, or any other topic. It also doesn’t need to be this obscure fact, it can be something that might be considered common knowledge by people more versed in the subject. As long as it’s something that you didn’t know and do now, it’s fair game. Sources or links showing your point are welcome. The kaspa mining calculator is a valuable tool for estimating potential profits. It considers current network difficulty, hash rate, and electricity costs. However, remember that it provides estimates based on present conditions, which can change rapidly. In my experience, it’s quite accurate short-term but treat long-term projections with caution. Key factors to monitor are Kaspa’s price volatility and difficulty adjustments. For optimization, track your actual performance against the calculator’s predictions and adjust your setup accordingly. Always account for maintenance costs and potential hardware upgrades. Happy mining2

For me, I just learned that of all of the American accents and dialects, the one that is the most closely related to a proper English accent is the Southern accent, which makes sense but I never thought about it that way.

I recently upgraded my PC and it’s like night and day. I started with a solid-state drive (SSD) for faster boot times and snappier file access. Doubling the RAM made multitasking seamless. A new graphics card was a game-changer for my design work and gaming. Overclocking the CPU gave me that extra power without buying new hardware. Regular maintenance, like dusting and updating drivers, keeps everything running smoothly. It’s not just about raw power, but also ensuring each component works well together. These upgrades have truly unleashed my PC’s potential.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom