• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What Came First? The Chicken or the Egg?

Chicken or the Egg?

• Chicken

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Egg

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Petman1325

Poe Catcher
As the Catholic who applies a bit of science to his religion (Hey, don't blast me, one of the Popes did it as well. ;)), the chicken had to come first. I mean, it's not like an egg will magically fall from the sky...unless if you want to take evolution into account and have the modern day chicken as we know laid as that final egg that was in evolution.

However, it'd have to be that one final step up that would have laid the egg. So, based on my personal beliefs, I believe the chicken came first, no doubt about it.

In evolutionary terms, (because im an atheist, lol), the egg came first, because reptiles layed eggs before chickens evolved.

With regards to evolution, the egg has to have come first as whatever species that birthed the first official chicken but was not a chicken laid an egg to do so. The resulting offspring was a chicken, and therefore, the egg came first, though the egg did not come from a chicken.

Right?

Linknmike

Dank meme connoisseur
It's quite simple. The egg came first, as chickens evolved from something, and eventually there came a chicken egg (created by the chicken's most recent predessesor), which hatched a chicken.

Claire

The Geekette
The best way to go about this is through an evolutionary perspective. This way we can say the egg came first. Geographic or reproductive isolation could be responsible for speciation occurring. The Killer whale is a potential example of speciation due to geographic isolation. As of yet, there has been no decision made to declare any of the various types of Killer whales as their own species, though there is reason to suggest it could be likely they are. If a species of bird had developed geographically isolated populations, without breeding over time, you could see the evolutionary process at work. Selection and mutation could cause these birds to evolve for many years, being remarkably similar to a chicken, but the actual chicken would be born from the egg laid by the bird that changed over a very long time to reach the point where its offspring would be considered a different species of the original population.

The egg had to be laid by a chicken.

^RIGHT THERE.
Well no, see the original chicken was a mutation from its parent.

One thing that needs clarification is are we talking about the first egg to contain a chicken or the first egg laid by a chicken and containing a chicken. If it's the first option, the egg came first, if it's the latter, the chicken came first. It depends on which egg youre thinking of. Personally I've been under the impression that we were talking about the first option, in which case, at the point of differentiation between the chicken predecessor and the chicken, the egg came first, then hatched the first "official chicken".

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom