• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

War of the Operating Systems

Choose an operating System you like

• Windows Xp

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Windows Vista

• Windows 7

• Fedora

• Ubuntu

• Open Suse

• Mac OS X

• Apple

• Total voters

figthersword

Hylian Coward
Hi guys im back it's me figthersword with the wrong spelling :P im creating this thread just to survey what will be you favorite operating System,

I will be making a four options,. and inside the four options what will be your bet? here are some list before you vote....

Windows
1. Xp
2. Vista
3. Win7

Linux
1. Fedora
2. Ubuntu
3. Open Suse

MAC
1.OS X
2. Apple

After you choose an operating system why?

I use Windows Vista, and despite everyone's sheer hatred of it, I actually liked it. I'm not very fond of Mac, I've always thought their operating system was highly overpriced and not nearly as good as what it was supposed to be.

TheGreen

is climbin' in yo windows
I voted Windows 7. Why? Cause its the best. They're making the best computing possible.
They've got more features and more reliability than any of the others mentioned, also it's a breath of fresh air after using Vista. I prefer the older xp to Vista :/

As for apple products systems go:
They work great. There's no denying that Apple is making a quality product. I'm sticking with Windows 7 because even though 7 may require more ram, it uses that to make a more user friendly experience and interface.

OSX <3 Certified Apple fangirl here.

Also, by the way, there's no "Apple" operating system. Unless we're talking old school, and even then it was a DOS system.

athenian200

Circumspect
a place of settlement, activity, or residence.
Windows 7 is the best operating system available right now, because it is far more stable and efficient than Vista, includes all the functionality of previous Windows versions, and has clever little improvements that make it worth using.

Ubuntu would be the runner-up, because it's a great Linux operating system for making old computers useful again, or for those who don't want to buy Windows because they don't need all the features.

Tom

wwwin.JPG
Other than that, I can only say I prefer Windows(and Microsoft, in general), and the reason why is not just because I'm used to it.
In my country, besides having Apple products costing ridiculously high prices, there are no such things as game variety for it. Seriously, the only way I see people getting games for this system is either buying or downloading online, which's also too expensive or hard to find.
Plus, I've always found Windows to be more customizable and interactive, despite people complaining about it being slow, bugged and stuff. I feel it's just simpler in every way.
However, I must admit that when it comes to high-performance, computer safety and functionality, Mac does have some pretty interesting perspectives. It's just not designed for what I want my computer to be, and Windows XP, for instance (using the same OS and cpu since 2003), fulfills the criteria.

Ubuntu.

I can't stand using OS X, or Vista. Windows XP and 7 are slightly better, but I still hate using them. They feel so slow and in-efficient after using Linux. Besides being open source and free, one of the things I really love about Ubuntu and other Linux distributions (Arch, Crunchbang, Gentoo, etc.) is that they are highly configurable, and can be optimised (I've gotten Ubuntu 10.04/10.10 to boot in about 20 seconds and use only 300MiB of RAM at startup, Arch based distros and Crunchbang can boot in only a few seconds and use 100 or so MiB at startup.) and customised however you want.

One thing that bothers me, is when people act like Linux is outdated, or solely command-line based (terminals are faster, and I prefer to use them when I can, but modern Linux distributions can have GUIs, Gnome, XFCE, KDE, openbox, etc.) or that they're only good for certain things, putting on old PCs, etc. Most Linux distributions that are being worked on now use Gnome or KDE (you can install a different desktop environment of course, and some come with none, or OpenBox, XFCE, etc.) both environments are pretty easy to navigate, having menus similar to Windows in some ways, but still unique. Besides all the software that is cross-platform or native to Linux, there's WINE, which allows you to run Windows programs on Linux if you wanted to (I've used Wine a few times, and it usually works pretty well.)

figthersword

Hylian Coward
Right now i am using Windows 7, because the applications that i regularly use is compatible only in windows.

Using an open source like LINUX operating system make's your budget so cheap and there's an alternative way to use some applications that you want to use in open source. The good example of it is open office, this is the alternate application of microsoft office.

And if you want more high class in the society and can afford your budget choosing MAC is the best option.

However it depends to the person which operating system they want to use, if they want more practical linux is fitted to them, and if they want more reliability windows can totally do that, and lastly if you're a very rich person and can afford anything in a single click MAC will suit to your taste

As for now i'm to confuse if i gonna change my windows to linux (FEDORA). that's why i've make this thread to get some opinions to other people who post in this thread, including votes also.

Today is Software Freedom Day!!! Therefore greetings to every one Happy Software Freedom Day :D

Smitie

The Dutch Kusagari
XP is my favourite. Why? Because it doesn't ask stupid authorisation questions for everything you want to (un)instal on my PC. I use Vista for two years now and I think it works ok, but that stupid authorisation stuff really annoys me. I have to say that I also liked Windows 98 a lot, because it installed all my old pc games without any complaints. I never used another OS so I can't give my opinion on them. Maybe I'll try one of the univeristy computers with Linux to see if it works better than windows.

Majora's Cat

How about that
Although I don't own a Mac, my school does. Macs easily outdo the Windows Vista, but I'm not so sure about the Windows 7.

figthersword

Hylian Coward
XP is my favourite. Why? Because it doesn't ask stupid authorisation questions.

That's why base on the poll survey in other websites, many people are downgrading their operating systems to XP the main reason for that is same as the statement of Mr. Smitie.

However the authorization makes your system more secured, but the main disadvantage of this thing it's so annoying specially when your doing something important or your in rush.

A

AbbySciuto

You should be able to choose more than one...

I chose Windows 7 because it's the easiest to use and most widespread. I use it mostly for schoolwork and gaming. However, when it comes to super-serious work, I use Ubuntu because the number of free and open-source specialized applications for it is much more than Windows' lack of anything open-source.

I feel really cheated out in this poll, seeing as I've only used two of the systems in the poll.

I have XP myself, I generally don't have a problem with it from a day to day basis, but there are some things that really piss me off about it sometimes. Automatic Updates (which I did turn off), and the general oldness feel to it, but I guess that could be that this computer is like 4+ years old.

Vista, I don't have a problem with it, I use it at school and whenever I'm on our laptop, but so far I'm not too fond of it because I'm so used to XP, the layout seems so....horrid.

Sadly the only option I have is to go with XP, for lack of a real challenge.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
I have BOTH Windows and Mac OSX. I LOVE my windows 7 because it is far more stable than Vista.
People are always talking about how different and difficult a mac works compared to Windows. I'm sorry but I don't see why it should be difficult. It is not different at all. You have a dock where everything is stored. You can easily drop and drag items to other locations so you don't have to copy and paste them or move them. And one of the most important things is a Mac hardly till never has spam, spyware or virusses. I used it so often and I never got a virus. The only thing is mac is much more expensive than windows and not all programs are compatible with mac even though this has changed a huge lot the last couple of years.
I never used Linux or Ubuntu so I cannot judge about those but I heard great stories about them.

Rishian

The Meat Shield
I gotta go with my good ol' Windows 7.
Microsoft had a good product with XP, dropped the ball with Vista, then picked that same ball up and actually ran with it to make Windows 7.

I can handle the Apple OS, but I don't find it as techy friendly (I can do a lot with an OS... ;) )

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom