• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Spoiler Volvagia As the Fire Sanctuary Boss

First, I have to say, the inspiration for this was taken from Axle in one of his recent videos. I had considered it before, and was expecting the boss of the Fire Sanctuary to be Volvagia when I first played. When I found out it was Ghirahim, however, I was not dissapointed. After giving it more thought since Axle had mentioned it, I have to say that I absolutely agree; Volvagia should have been the boss of the Fire Sanctuary. Don't get me wrong, I love the second fight with Ghirahim, but it could have just as easily occured somewhere else, in a different dungeon or in currently nonexistent dungeon. It's kind of neat that he's the last thing before you get the Master Sword, but it would still be okay to get the Master Sword and go looking for him. Anyway, I'll cover this more in-depth as we go on.

I wish, wish, wish that this dungeon's boss was Volvagia and that the rematch with Ghirahim occured somewhere else. I mean, when I opened the boss door, I expected Volvagia. It all adds up. In Ocarina of Time, it is said that Volvagia dwelled in the heart of the volcano, exactly where the Fire Sanctuary is located. There are depictions of serpentine dragons through the dungeon. And, in order to maintain the whole "Goron hero who conquered Volvagia" thing, perhaps they could have Gorko assist somehow in the fight. We talk to him outside of the dungeon, so we know he's around. It would be pretty cool learning that Gorko was Darunia's ancestor spoken of in Ocarina of Time. Maybe the dungeon's item could have been the Megaton Hammer, or - even better, they could've found a way to actually make the Mogma Mitts interesting- by incorporating it into the fight with Volvagia! These things were boring and I wasn't a huge fan. They don't feel entirely fresh and new, because they really aren't. However, as we know from Ocarina of Time, Volvagia is a "Subterranean Lava Dragon". Subterrean. Underground. What would have been fresh and interesting was incorporating these things into a fight with Volvagia! I mean, instead of waiting for him to come up in Ocarina of Time, we could go under and chase him and force him to come back up. I don't know! Something awesome! It's Nintendo! They could have thought of something cool to do with the Mogma Mitts! This is just the start of "Things That Would Have Been Awesome But Sadly Don't Exist" in this part of the game.

So, in our little fantasy world, we've beaten Volvagia and we've got the Master Sword to full strength. Nice! So what do we do with it? Well, given that the Master Sword is at full power, instead of going to see Zelda, how about we go hunt down Ghirahim? Fi could suggest it or something, or I don't really know, but the point is, we go looking for Ghirahim. Now, this could have provided a whole few more hours to the Skyward Sword experience! I'm talking a brand, spanking new area, dowsing for Ghirahim using his now familiar aura, dungeon, mini-dungeon, doesn't matter, Ghirahim Fight 2, and the like.

Not only would this be awesome, but this would also help add to the story. Perhaps you don't beat Ghirahim entirely, since it's not the True Master Sword yet. He could pull a Ganon in The Wind Waker and tell you how it's not fully powered up and whatnot. Now, in the real game, we had the (untrue?) Master Sword for about... five minutes. Literally. We beat the Fire Sanctuary, go smack the Gate of Time with a Skyward Strike, go see Zelda, and she blesses our sword and whatnot. Out of nowhere. Just, you know. Okay. Here you go.

Really, there's no point in the "untrue" Master Sword step. Getting the True Master Sword is satisfying, yes. But think about this. What if we go hunt down Ghirahim and do a whole new area and all that jazz, and, all the while, actually feel the dissapointment (THIS is The Master Sword?!) since the "untrue" Master Sword is completely unimproved from the Goddess White Sword (or so I believe) in terms of length, damage, and dowsing spots. Feeling this and learning about the concept of the True Master Sword would make actually getting the True Master Sword much more satisfying.

In short, I think that Nintendo botched quite a bit of great content here. I mean, there was room for several more hours of great content. A new boss, whole new area, new dungeon, and feelings that happen to the player and ultimately make the goal more satisfying. So, yeah.

I kind of wish I had never thought about this because now I'm here thinking to myself, "Why isn't Skyward Sword like this? This would have been so good."

Thoughts/Opinions, bla bla bla?

I completely agree with you. Volvagia would have made perfect boss for the Fire Sanctuary. Your idea for the battle itself is also very interesting; it truly would have been the perfect occasion to take advantage of the Mogma Mitts and slip Gorko in another time to provide for a more connected and stronger story. I feel the same regarding the lost potential both gameplay and storywise by not including Dark Link. While we're talking about placing the second Ghirahim battle somewhere else, it would have been perfect to fight him in a snow region especially with what resembled his blade appearing in Snowpeak Ruins in Twilight Princess.

Fig

The Altruist
I totally agree with you! I actually expected to be Volvagia, because it made so much sense, the scenery, the landscape, and the depictions of serpentine, serpents, and dragons throughout the entire dungeon. I even thought the Fire Dragon Guardian was Volvagia, since I was freaking out what would happen, just to be told that he was the guardian of the Fire Sanctuary. No matter what happened or what anybody else, thinks I agree with you guys that it would have been nice to see our dear old friend Volvagia again.

EternalNocturne

Fluffy hair!
What a great idea. It never actually came to mind, but after you brought it up, it sounds wonderful. I didn't feel like Skyward Sword made enough connections to Ocarina of Time -- including Volvagia definitely would have filled in that point.

Non-Epic

Resident Cucco Kicker
Labrynna, because Hyrule is too mainstream.
Yes, this is so amazing. Having Volvagia in there would have worked so well. This is where the goron is, and he would be threatened by the dragon.

Heck, we should have seen or heard of the dragon waaaaaaay before the boss fight. Even deeper, it should have been what caused the volcano to erupt prior. This would have made this much more interesting, since the incident was now explained. Now, when you kill it, it doesn't just feel like you have to fight a dragon (think of Lanayru, Faron and Eldin), and that you didn't want to. It was evil and insane, just a non-sentient creature if not more. Killing this beast would feel justified, you're ending a monster, heck you're defeating a demi-god.

Now, when Gorko is safe, maybe he'll stay here. He'll discover the fire-retardant powers of gorons... maybe he'll invent the Goron tunic? amazing! He can go on to establish the gorons, and make the Goron city with his own style, perhaps in the temple, perhaps around. THIS would be the start of the gorons.

Then we wouldn't have Ghirahim's rainbows,and Nintendo's not the type to connect the games.

WOW, now i'm sad Nintendo didn't do that. But then, Volvagia wouldn't be around in OoT. He'd already be dead hundreds/thousands of years prior.

But that's the point. In Ocarina of Time, the Gorons tell you that Ganondorf has resurrected Volvagia, because a Goron hero from long ago had defeated him long before the events of Ocarina of Time.

And, wow! I didn't expect to get such positive feedback on this. Thanks everybody.

Terminus

If I was a wizard this wouldn't be happening to me
But that's the point. In Ocarina of Time, the Gorons tell you that Ganondorf has resurrected Volvagia, because a Goron hero from long ago had defeated him long before the events of Ocarina of Time.

And, wow! I didn't expect to get such positive feedback on this. Thanks everybody.

I COMPLETELY forgot "resurrected" was in that sentence. Serves me right for speeding through the dialog.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
those mogma mitts look like they could do well in close combat,considering they're even strong enough to break through hard rocks

i don't know,i kinda pictured ghirahim coming in while riding volvagia,then he jumps on a high platform or something and orders volvagia to take out link,and the tactic would probably be like link having to break the rock armor thing volvagia has w/ the mogma mitts [although they'd had to make controls for fight w/ the mogma mitts],then slice up the open spaces
then ghirahim could snap up volvagias armor back on,then the legendary goron hero,which of course would be gorko,could come in all hero like and decide to offer link assistance by dealing w/ volvagia,and while those two are occupied ghiahim could decide to rid off link himself

THEN the 2nd ghirahim boss battle could begin,w/ gorko and volvagia fighting in the background or something
so we'll essentially have 2 boss battles in one

Last edited:

MiniMouseofPyru

The Notorious M.O.P.
I agree with you 112%. Vovagia would have been a perfect boss for the Fire Sanctuary. One of the problems I have is that in Ocarina of Time, Volvagia is said to have been slain by another Goron, a Goron hero. Link, is most definitely not a Goron. It is entirely possible that after Link defeated Volvagia, Volvagia rose once again and then a Goron killed him, but that wouldn't make sense to me.

I loved the second Ghirahim battle though, but I feel as if the Fire Sanctuary was the wrong place to put Ghirahim. I agree with A_LINK_IN_TIME, I think seeing Ghirahim in a snow covered region would have been satisfying, expecially in something similar to the Snowpeak Ruins, fro TP.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I agree with you. I was hoping for Volvagia. It would have made the game feel more connected to OOT than it was whilst still being it's own game. I was hoping for a few more connections rather than the few vague ones we got in the end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom