• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild Voice Acting

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
There was not that much reviewers complained about when they talked about Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword. However one of the complaints that came up with both games is that there should have been voice acting. The characters mouths moved as if they were speaking but it was as if their voices had been taken away. In 2D titles not having voice acting is completely understandable, it's quite common not to have voices in those type of games, yet 3D games these days pretty much all have it, except Zelda that is.

I think not having voices is holding the series back. The longer they delay putting it in, the more anxious it is going to make those who are worried that voice acting might spoil the experience for them. In my view voice acting will only improve the games, cutscenes can be more cinematic without you having to press a button for the next text box to appear, characters can actually perform tasks and talk, or fight and talk simultaneously in a cutscene. It will open the possibilities for what can be done with the series from a story perspective.

What language they speak in does not really matter, whether they go for using Hylian ,or they have localised languages for each country the game is released in. The problem is that it does not look and feel natural to have characters lips going at it when there is no sound coming out, and having the characters talk in any language is going to fix this.

With Zelda U, Aonuma wants to change things up a bit. Voice acting should be one of the ways he does this. I know that even if Zelda U turns out to be an amazing title, which I really hope it does. If they don't have voice acting this time, that is going to be the thing that lets the game down. I'm not saying in a major way and it will ruin the game not to have voices, but it will be an issue for sure.. This is a new console, technology is much better than on the Wii, I think now is the time to move forward with this.

What do you all think? I know voice acting is something that has come up allot for discussion in the past but since Aonuma said he wants to reveal the game soon (and I'm talking about before E3 here), now is the time I think to start talking about things like this and the other possible changes he might want to bring to the game.

Salem

SICK
If they have voice acting, I only have two things to say about it:
  1. Link should NOT talk no matter what.
  2. No Hylian or other made up language, no just no.

Mangachick14

Nerdy and Proud
I don't think lack of full voice acting is holding anything back in series, however I think the fact that we haven't seen it yet is because Nintendo is playing it safe. I personally share their anxiety about voice-acting as well. There's just so much room for error in voice acting, that I'd almost prefer not to take the chance. After all, bad voice-acting can take away way more than good voice-acting can add. So, I'm really on the fence about voice acting. If it's done right, awesome. But if it's done wrong, the voice-acting could ruin any kind of seriousness the game was going for.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Fire Emblem Awakening's cast + Zelda = recipe for success.

All paranoia regarding VAs in Zelda are due to kids not understanding that bad voice acting is not incumbent upon Nintendo. If we can pull retcons out the wazoo, we can pull off fluent voice acting.

Heck, we don't even need English voice actors; just use the Japanese ones we already have.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
No, have the English voice actors for the English language games.

The point is, Nintendo needs to do whatever in regards to voice acting so they can snuff out the remaining "omg nuu vorce actins" crowd. They are impeding progress for no reason other than [noparse]"lesbetraditionalfornureason!!eon1:DDD"[/noparse]. Yeah, I'm worked up over something petty. Seeing the series go down is something that really irks me, however, and the traditional-in-the-wrong-way fans are the ones who keep making the series go down. :/

Dimooshky

The Mauve Avenger
Problem is, there is always the chance that we may get a character with an unbearably annoying voice. One of the reasons why I hate Dubs of anime, as the voice actors used for English localisation often have extremely irritating voices. If they made it so you could select Japanese audio and English subs then cool, although that would be completely stupid in a game. :)

Salem

SICK
The point is, Nintendo needs to do whatever in regards to voice acting so they can snuff out the remaining "omg nuu vorce actins" crowd. They are impeding progress for no reason other than [noparse]"lesbetraditionalfornureason!!eon1:DDD"[/noparse]. Yeah, I'm worked up over something petty. Seeing the series go down is something that really irks me, however, and the traditional-in-the-wrong-way fans are the ones who keep making the series go down. :/
I'm sorry, those people you're talking about can not impede "progress" in any way, They're just forum people, their words(and ours for that matter) won't do anything. Nintendo will do whatever it wants regardless of anything.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I'm sorry, those people you're talking about can not impede "progress" in any way, They're just forum people, their words(and ours for that matter) won't do anything. Nintendo will do whatever it wants regardless of anything.

Believe it or not, I'm not talking about the people on forums. These people are also in constant contact with Nintendo's PR folks, and even are on show floors like Comic Con and E3.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
If they have voice acting, I only have two things to say about it:
Link should NOT talk no matter what.
No Hylian or other made up language, no just no.

It's ok for link to not talk, there are many games where the protagonist does not e.g Fallout 3. I see no reason why they would give link a voice.
As for the Hylian, it would save nintendo money. They would get the existing Japanese cast to perform the language. I would prefer localised languages but any voicing is better than the nothing we have at the moment. I would even not mind Japanese, they already have a cast who perform the noises and grunts of the characters, this time they can perform speaking roles.

Voice acting is something that is sure to split opinions over the game.While I'm all for voice acting in Zelda games, everywhere I find threads like this I find people going "no absolutely not! IT'S NOT ACCEPTABLE!". While I can understand the concern that bad voice acting could force Zelda downhill, I still think it could be done and would be done brilliantly. Making up a spoken language though, tends not to go too well. All in all I think introducing voice acting would be a bold step in the right direction for the franchise.

Mangachick14

Nerdy and Proud
All paranoia regarding VAs in Zelda are due to kids not understanding that bad voice acting is not incumbent upon Nintendo.

Nice not-so-subtle shot at me. Just because not every single Nintendo game with voice-acting did it horribly doesn't mean worrying about bad voice-acting isn't a reasonable concern. Just look at Super Mario Sunshine--Rather recent and one of Nintendo's leading franchises but the voice acting still wasn't very good.

Sir Quaffler

May we meet again
My problem with voice acting isn't really about the quality of the voice acting. I'm sure if they decided to do VA's they would make sure to do a good job at it, whether it be in Hylian or in localized languages.

My concern is that they might spend TOO MUCH effort making it right. I've always enjoyed the combat and puzzling aspects of the series, and I fear the effort to make VA work well will reallocated resources from these aspects. So, we might have a well-voiced game that is lacking in the actual gameplay aspects I come to the series for.

I know there are companies that do manage to make games that have good VA and awesome at the same time; the Portal and Half-Life series are really good examples. But they are few and far in between, and with how small Nintendo really is I fear they might not make the transition very well.

But then, Nintendo being Nintendo, they might pull it off, so what do I know?

CraptainFalcon

Bored to death
Yes man! They need to put voice acting in Zelda. First of all, it would eliminate the problem of reading cutscenes. Second, it would the game to life, even more of it!

Here are some dubs I posted a few weeks ago in another post:

[video=youtube_share;lYvFIkIRYS8]http://youtu.be/lYvFIkIRYS8[/video]

[video=youtube_share;_IDN-TzKiQ8]http://youtu.be/_IDN-TzKiQ8[/video]

[video=youtube_share;mgfMRlGC5CA]http://youtu.be/mgfMRlGC5CA[/video]

[video=youtube_share;Yv0kYCk29yU]http://youtu.be/Yv0kYCk29yU[/video]

[video=youtube_share;NM3CLOHAeFc]http://youtu.be/NM3CLOHAeFc[/video]

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom