• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

VC Versions of Oot & MM

shogun_zidane

将軍 ジタン
So I own an original N64 with copies of both Oot and MM. I play through them since I got said N64 in 1998, and both of the games at each of their release date. Many years later the GCN Collectors Edition came out and you had to use the GC controller which in my opinion felt more precise as far as the analog stick goes. Well anyways on to my point I purchased both Oot and MM for my VC so I could use the classic controller to see how different they would be, and oh my gosh how I prefer the classic controller pro. So what are your thoughts or opinions on the two controllers? Also which do you prefer?

MW7

I haven't played those games on VC, but I do think the classic controller is pretty awesome. Also I remember the GC controller won a countdown of the greatest controllers of all time a couple of years ago on some site. Anyway both controllers are really great. Sometimes I wonder if the Wii was partially the result of Nintendo being unable to come up with a better traditional controller than the GC controller. It's that awesome.

shogun_zidane

将軍 ジタン
I agree but when playing the VC version imo the classic controller was better for Z-targeting and using your shield. My reasoning is that the GC controllers L and Rs are pressure sensitive while the classic controllers aren't. There for they are easier and faster to press (the L and R buttons).

guapo2003

The incomparable legend
I prefer using the original N64 controller since that's why I'm used to and the controller the games were meant for. To me, it just feels weird using any other controller, but I still can use them, it's just different.

I have not played either game on the Virtual Console but find the analogs on the Classic Controller to be a bit too close for comfort. Also, the GC version of Majora's Mask on the Collector's Edition is horrible and constantly crashes! D: But since this is primarily a topic on controllers, I greatly prefer the Gamecube controller. The positioning of the buttons and analogs seems much more natural. And yes, that means that in today's gaming world I prefer the XBOX 360 controller over the PS3 one. Analogs should never been on the same level.

Krazy4Krash

Staff member
I actually don't like using the gamecube controller for the N64 games. It's fine with WW and TP, but with OOT and MM, it doesn't feel right... for some reason.
I despise the analog stick on the N64 controller. It sucks. I'm probably just not used to using it.

The classic controller is awesome with the virtual console games, but the best way to play them is with the Xbox 360 controller. How? Emulator. The 360 controller is the best controller ever made, with the buttons in the most comfortable positions possible and the analog sticks beyond perfect.

Last edited:

Awesome

The Creepy Uncle
I actually don't like using the gamecube controller for the N64 games. It's fine with WW and TP, but with OOT and MM, it doesn't feel right... for some reason.
I despise the analog stick on the N64 controller. It sucks. I'm probably just not used to using it.

The classic controller is awesome with the virtual console games, but the best way to play them is with the Xbox 360 controller. How? Emulator. The 360 controller is the best controller ever made, with the buttons in the most comfortable positions possible and the analog sticks beyond perfect.

I will agree with you that the 360 controller is the best controller on any console, but I still prefer the analog stick of the N64 controller. There's just something about how terrible it is that brings back such great memories of the N64 days. I have tried it with the gamecube controller, but it just doesn't feel right. Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask were made to be played with the terribleness of the N64 controller. It adds to the Nostalgia and the gameplay somehow in my mind. Guess I'm just weird like that.

shogun_zidane

将軍 ジタン
I will agree with you that the 360 controller is the best controller on any console, but I still prefer the analog stick of the N64 controller. There's just something about how terrible it is that brings back such great memories of the N64 days. I have tried it with the gamecube controller, but it just doesn't feel right. Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask were made to be played with the terribleness of the N64 controller. It adds to the Nostalgia and the gameplay somehow in my mind. Guess I'm just weird like that.

I would have said the same thing about the N64 controller like five years ago but since then my hands have grown and my fingers are longer so it hurts my hands to play N64 extensively. I still love the akward thing of a controller but try not to use it whenever possible. That is why I prefer the classic controller pro.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom