• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Twilight Princess "Twilight Princess is a Good Game, but It's Not a Good Zelda Game"

P

PLZFE

zelda is the most mature nintendo series to date....gods creating worlds, evil people trying to capture ancient power? sure it has some silly stuff for comic relief but what nintendo game doesn't?

What about Metriod? (spelling sorry)

I absolutely loved Twilight Princess. Second only to OoT for me (and a very close second at that) Never quite understood why so many people don't like it. Sure, it didn't change the formula and probably played it too safe in that regard, but it's not like TP was the 1st Zelda game to follow tradition. Honestly as much as I like WW, it didn't do a whole lot different from OoT either (beyond the art style) To each their own I guess!

Also, Midna <3

felipe970421

Mardek Innanu El-Enkidu
I don't see why people hate it sooo much, the art style is great and fitting, the resolution is like that because of console limitations, and it's not a valid argument unless you are comparing it to SS (All the other games have an horrible resolution), The GC, the console the game was developed for, didn't have much in terms of res. And it's unfair to use that as an argument, most of the criticisms seem to come from the res. and that it's a copypasta from OoT (Which is not), TP was an improvement over OoT, refining everything, from graphics to dungeon design (In terms of that, you can't argue Snowpeak, Lakebed or Arbiter had and incredible level design, with the comical item hunt, central staircase and Poe hunting), one of the biggest improvements it has is the horse, while atop Epona you can use most of your items, your sword, engage Bulblins (In fact my one favorite moment from the game was the Lord Bulblin first battle, note that I'm not talking about the justing, the actual battle, jousting sucks:dry:), TP took everything that made OoT great and expands it, I have to agree that after Arbiter grounds the game dulls, but by that moment I was already loving it.

Also, Midna is the one best sidekick for me, she isn't annoying like Navi or (to a lesser extent) Tatl, nor she was obnoxious like Fi, and her personality was actually developed through the game (something never seen in a sidekick)

Lastly, what do you guys mean by little sidequests?

Poe hunting
Golden bug hunting
Secret techniques
Fishing
Bigger quiver/bombs, new bomb bags
Lots of minigames (seriously, LOTS, Rollball, the STAR-thing, bird-riding, goat-herding, Sumo, fishing, archery, etc)
An almost obnoxious amount of Heart pieces (45!)
Buy the citadel shop! (Magic Armor)
Secret grotto's
Etc?

TheRationalDove

Red Hair Wonder
I completely understand the sentiment of the title of this thread. it's similar to the statement "It's a good movie, but not a good recreation of the book."

Now, I have not finished Twilight Princess yet, but so far, I find it quite a fun game. ther are flaws, yes, but every video game has them. When I play a video game, I am more concerned about the mechanics and how it challenges me as a gamer to solve problems and complete task. I don't really expect amazing visuals, or well-crafted plot mostly because nearly all of the games I've ever played until recently were lacking in those areas. Sure, they are important to a game overall and enhances the experience, but I try not to set the bar all that high, because I feel a good game doesn't need to have stellar animation and jaw- dropping storytelling. movies and books provide that for me.

So, what does that have to all do with Twilight Princess? Well, most of the complaints seemed geared towards the gritty graphics and bland storyline. while I do agree, I don't find it fair in my mind for a video game for a video game to be especially strong in those areas. nowadays, probably, but I suppose I expect less when it comes to those elements of a video game.

Last edited:
MW7 said:
I tend to forgive flaws in earlier games, and then demand for the later games to be crucified for repeating the same mistakes and in some cases making them worse.

Precisely. these are my own thoughts on the matter as well.

Mariley said:
Also, Midna

It's certainly not an overstatement to claim Midna is the most fleshed-out supporting character in franchise history.

felipe970421 said:
Lastly, what do you guys mean by little sidequests?

Not even going to lie, I believe twilight Princess has more and better sidequests than Skyward Sword. I've always been more of a dungeon and main story person, however, regarding sidequests, the Gratitude Crystal one was the only butterfly among a swarm of moths.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
"TP is a good game but not a good Zelda game" to me means exactly what it says.
In my eyes, there are two types of games: Zelda Games and Video Games. Zelda Games have an exceptional amount of quality in them (e.g Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask) and Video Games have a not so exceptional amount of quality in them (e.g Punch Out). To become a Zelda Game, the game must first break the barrier of Video Game [so, for example, OoT is a Zelda Game because it surpasses the standards for Video Game and must go somewhere else and what other place is there aside from Zelda Game?].

Twilight Princess meets the needs for a decent Video Game, but doesn't even come close to Zelda Game. TP is awful Zelda game imo.

I disagree entirely with pretty much everything you said. Your logic is also pretty crazy. I'll quote you ''To become a Zelda Game, the game must first break the barrier of Video Game [so, for example, OoT is a Zelda Game because it surpasses the standards for Video Game and must go somewhere else and what other place is there aside from Zelda Game?]. '' According to your logic I should class Skyrim as a Zelda game. It received exceptionally high praise, greater than that of phantom hourglass and spirit tracks, even Skyward sword. It surpassed every other game in 2011 and was refined and people loved it, the gameplay was good... need I go on here.
At least half of all Zelda games should not be classed as Zelda games according to your statements. PH, ST,OOX, FS all were not exceptional so therefore should not be classed as Zelda games. But TP, one of the most critically acclaimed zeldas, and the MOST critically acclaimed game of 2006 according to you was an awful Zelda game. I can't think of any game that is not Zelda that surpasses the quality of TP.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
According to your logic I should class Skyrim as a Zelda game. It received exceptionally high praise, greater than that of phantom hourglass and spirit tracks, even Skyward sword. It surpassed every other game in 2011 and was refined and people loved it, the gameplay was good... need I go on here.

Not that this really matters, but I wouldn't say Skyrim surpassed every game in 2011. Like, at all. I love the game and all, but it had lots of problems that held it back from being what it should have been. I'd easily place SS and Portal 2 over it. (Not sure about Batman. Didn't purchase that one.)

unknown

._.. .. _. _._ morse code
I don't understand most of the criticisms of TP. I can find faults but they aren't enough to completely destroy the game. Overall TP is tied for second with MM in my favs and I think that if someone can write a really good article explaining why TP sucks then it is still called a great zelda.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Not that this really matters, but I wouldn't say Skyrim surpassed every game in 2011. Like, at all. I love the game and all, but it had lots of problems that held it back from being what it should have been. I'd easily place SS and Portal 2 over it. (Not sure about Batman. Didn't purchase that one.)

Well critically anyway it surpassed every other game. But all I'm saying is that even if it was the best game ever, how could it be classed as Zelda? Zelda is a series, and to be honest every single game in the series would not be top of a list of top games, only some of them would.

H

HeroofHyrule27

To me it didn't have the THEME of a Zelda game. I understand the darker more mature vibe, but it didn't feel very Zelda-ish. To me a LoZ game is an extremely colorful and bright world full of danger and adventure, a plethora of different characters and creatures and a broad sense of adventure. The atmosphere of TP didn't do it for me. Majora's Mask at least did it with still having that kiddish charm and uniqueness. TP was good. Visually awesome. But I would never put it as the best zelda game or the face of the series. The way i see it, Ocarina of time and Skyward Sword (Possibly Wind waker) Take the cake as the epitome of what a Zelda game is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom