• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Spoiler Tri-Split Timeline (It Makes Everything Work!)

The Legend of Zelda Tri-Split Timeline
By Link-182

NOTE
I did create situations never told but backing them up with facts that could make it plausible. I did put these in my own words, and I got all of my information from Zelda Wiki, and Zeldapedia. I’m sorry if it seems a bit rushed in areas. I’m not the best writer.I will be bolding my theories from fact.
The creators always had story second in mind, they kept scarce references of how games applied to each other so they could be creative with the way they made the newer games. It eliminated boundaries they didn’t want, plus it gives us fans something to talk about. And they seem to want it to keep Zelda theorizing going. So I did my best to fill these gaps with educated and fact based, made up events.
Well, here it goes. This is my timeline. I hope you enjoy.

My timeline looks like this.
SS is either at the beginning of the timeline or after FSA.

.........................................ALttP--Oos/OoA--LA--LoZ--AoL
........................................../
SS--TMC--FS--FSA--SS--event--OoT--MM--TP
.................................................\
.................................................WW--PH--ST

THE HERO OF MEN-The prologue of The Minish Cap. The Minish came down from the sky and gave Link the Picori Sword to the Hero of Men. he was also given something called a Light Force. The Light Force may very well reference itself with the Triforce. Where the goddesses left Hyrule was where the Triforce was created, and that was indeed in the sky, which was shown visually in Ocarina of Time. It also says “it was called in later generations, the force of golden light,”, linking it even further to the Triforce as the Triforce is known as An Omnipotent Golden Power. It saying “ in later generations,” linking it to the later games to come in the series, so this implies that this is the first reference to the Triforce, and again linking it to the beginning of the time line. The Light Force/Triforce was later passed onto Princess Zelda; this is where the royal family first inherited the Triforce, and perhaps is why the Hylians became the royal family and not a different tribe, and Hylians were closest linked to the Gods, perhaps another reason the Triforce was given to the Hero of Men, and later Zelda. The story also has a reference to when Hyrule was “peaceful in it’s early existence,” before this tale of the Hero of Men, also linking this game to the beginning of the timeline.

The Minish Cap- This is the birth of Vaati the Wind Sorcerer, and how he becomes trapped within the Picori Blade which has transformed into the Four Sword from the Elements. There is no reference of Ganondorf the King of Thieves and with a back-story like the Hero of Men I’m putting this one at the beginning.

Four Swords- This tells of a back-story which is The Minish Cap. After the Four Sword had sealed Vaati away, many years later, the new princess at the time was in charge of keeping an eye on the Four Sword. When she senses a disturbance she summons Link and together they whiteness the seal break as the sword tilts out of place and Vaati is released. After Link takes the Four Sword, he seals Vaati once again. Link kicks his but as four dudes and seals him back in the sword.

Four Swords Adventures- In this game there is a Gerudo commoner known as Ganon who was exiled by the Gerudos for indulging in a voodoo which is messing with the Trident of Power and the Dark Mirror, both from within the Desert Pyramid. Ganon is then transformed into a beast by The Power of the Trident and creates Dark Link from the Dark Mirror to mess with the real Link’s head to release the Four Sword to release Vaati so Ganon has the power to take over the world. Ganon is not referred to as a thief or as Ganondorf, he doesn’t become a beast from the power of the Triforce. All of these reasons lead me to believe that this is not the same Ganon as Ganondorf Dragmire. Link eventually seals Ganon away in the Four Sword and rids Hyrule of evil.

Skyward Sword - Not much is known, but it is confirmed to be the origin of the Master Sword, therefore I am placing it near the beginning of the time line. It's either here or before Minish cap. i still think its after Hero of Men, if it isn't Hero of Men. The Master Sword is first introduced because perhaps this is the first time evil has invaded Hyrule when the Four Sword is busy sealing Vatti and Ganon so a new sword must be created to vanquish evil! Plus, it just feels like it belongs here close to when Ganondorf begins. But this is only a foggy guess, because I don’t know a lot about the game. But I figured I should try and throw it in because everyone would want to know what I thought. One day darkness raids the land below and claims the powerful Triforce and without a powerful weapon to rid this evil, the land breaks off of Hyrule to save the Hylians, and they continue living on these broken islands for ages, call it Skyloft and forget the world below. Eventually a new sword is created to rid the land of Hyrule, and bring the two lands back together for good. This is when the Master Sword is created. After the land has been saved, the Master Sword is used as a gate to the Sacred realm which no evil can touch.

THE ALTERNATIVE TIME SPLIT and THE FIRST HERO OF TIME- During the evens of Ocarina of Time, the Sage of Light, Rauru, stated that Link did indeed look like the legendary Hero of Time, which means there was a legendary hero that HAD to wield the Master Sword, and HAD something to do with the control of time. Kaepora Gaebora also said he thought the boy who travelled through time was merely a legend. So there was a boy who travelled through time and I believe that as Link from Ocarina of Time created a time paradox, the older Hero of Time did as well. I think when the First Hero of Time saved the land; in one of the splits, the Master Sword remained out of the pedestal, therefore reopening the Sacred Realm, and preventing another Hero of Time. This event lead to…

THE IMPRISSONING WAR- It was said in A Link to the Past that when the Sacred Realm’s entrance was rediscovered, a band of thieves lead by Ganondorf raced toward the Triforce, and Ganondorf murdered his fellow thieves to have the Triforce all to himself. Since the Master Sword, aka entrance to the Sacred Realm was not under the rule of the king, Ganondorf had no need to fake an allegiance with the King as he did in Ocarina of Time; instead he lead his band of Gerudos to find the Triforce in a different manner. Instead of being sealed by Zelda and the Sages after he obtained the Triforce of power in Ocarina of Time, he was creating an army in the Sacred Realm where he found the Triforce so he could eventually rule the Light World. Instead, seven knights and seven sages sealed him away in the Sacred Realm so his army could no longer wreak havoc in the light.

A Link to the Past- Ganondorf had an outside man, known as Agahinam, who was trying to reopen the exit of the Sacred Realm so Ganon could once again try to rule the world. But Link, the descendant of one of the heroic knights who trapped him, stopped it all by entering the Sacred Realm aka the Dark World, killed Ganondorf and claimed the Triforce. Link wished the effects of Ganon`s destruction in the world and in the Sacred Realm be undone. Ganondorf Dragmire is now dead at the end of the alternative time line.

Oracle of Seasons and Ages- After Link defeats Ganon, he rides through unknown lands where he stumbles upon a castle. The castle catching his eye holds the Triforce once again standing tall and flawless. But instead the Triforce has a different purpose than granting wishes. Perhaps it was placed by Farore to warn and push Link into different lands to meet and save Din, and Nayru and to stop the three torches from being lit and resurrecting Ganon. Link is too late and Ganon is resurrected through the plans of Twinrova. Also, since this takes place in a different time split than Ocarina of Time, Twinrova hasn’t died by the hands of the Hero of Time. They were Ganon`s mothers? And they could still be living, as they were 400 years old already in Ocarina of Time.

Link’s Awakening- Link left Hyrule after defeating Ganon to train in new lands. This could be when he stumbled across the Triforce in the Oracle games. After he completed training in these new lands, he set sail for home. But a thunderstorm hit and he got bumped on the noggin, passed out and had a crazy adventure in his mind. This game had a great story by the way, he sacrificed every inhabitants existence on the island just so he could go home…. Link is evil!

THE SLEEPING CURSE- The back story of the Adventure of Link would have happened before the Legend of Zelda, but after A Link to the past. When a prince inherited the Triforce passed down by royal family, a magician told him not all of it was passed down to him. His sister, (Princess Zelda), knew something about another piece of the Triforce, so the prince and the magician asked her about it. She would not talk. The magician threatened to cast a sleeping spell on the princess. She still wouldn’t. So he cast the spell but the prince tried stopping him. As the princess fell into a deep sleep, the magician died. The prince picked up Princess Zelda and placed her in a secret room, hoping that one day she would be awoken again.

The Legend of Zelda- This game could have fit somewhere else but due to the confirmation of Miyamoto and the back description of A Link to the Past, this game comes after it. This is way after the events of A Link to the Past. Hyrule is no longer a big country, it is broken up due to chaos and war. It is a small country with pieces of the Triforce. A new Ganon , the Prince of Darkness, probably a ruler of a surrounding country, lead his army into Hyrule after hearing they had the Triforce. Zelda was captured and the Triforce of Power was taken by Ganon. Luckily a boy saved Zelda`s servant Impa. Impa told Link of what happened so Link, being courageous, saved the land of Hyrule and retrieved the Triforce of Wisdom.

The Adventure of Link- The same Link from the game The Legend of Zelda, but a different Zelda, the one affected by the sleeping curse, is the basis of this adventure. Hyrule is having trouble getting it together again since the invasion of Ganon and his army. Link, being chosen by the Gods, his hand starts glowing which is the key to opening a secret door which holds the sleeping princess from the sleeping curse. Impa tells Link he must find the Triforce of Courage to break the spell, but its locked away and Link needs the crystals to open these doors, so begins his adventure. The only problem is, Ganon`s army is still stirring about ready for the opportune time to kill Link and spill his blood on Ganon`s ashes to become revived once again. But Link successfully collects the crystals, unites the Triforce and wishes the princess awake.

Now lets rewind back to THE FIRST HERO OF TIME. In the time split that isn’t the alternative timeline, that did not end in the Imprisoning War. History leads us to…

THE INTERLOPER WAR/HYRULIAN CIVIL WAR- This is the same war as the Imprisoning War in a paradox timeline, as Wind Waker is to Twilight Princess. Due to different circumstances, history did this instead. Legends spread about the location of the Triforce in the Sacred Realm, and a war between the tribes of Hyrule broke out. A dark tribe of sorcerers known as the Dark Interlopers used dark magic, aka (Fused Shadows/ Majora’s Mask) to create dominance over the Sacred Realm after it had been found. But the goddesses created the light spirits trapping them in a dark world known as the Twilight Realm to ensure the evil wouldn‘t take control over it. During the rages of war a Hylian mother brought the baby, aka Hero of Time to the Great Deku Tree so he would be safe from danger. The Great Deku Tree could sense destiny within the child so he took Link in. Eventually, the war subsided and pacts were formed by the Hylians, Zoras, and Gorons; creating a locked gate to the Scared realm in order to protect the Triforce from evil, realizing from the goddesses that the thirst for the Triforce would end their races in the Twilight Realm as well. So instead the worked together to protect it, and protect all of Hyrule.
(NOTE, it's not yet confirmed the two to be the same war but it is hard, in my eyes, to see how they aren't the same war.)

Ocarina of Time- The origins of Ganondorf the King of Thieves/Gerudos. Angered by the fact that only death had been brought upon his part of land in Hyrule, (Gerudo’s Desert), and the fact that he was a thief, (and thieves steal things,) lead him into tricking the king in an allegiance so he could get close to the Triforce and become the true ruler of Hyrule. His bitterness lead him to become the most determined seeker of the Triforce of all time. Ganondorf finally reaches the Triforce with the accidental help of Link himself, but Ganondorf’s heart in imbalanced therefore breaking the Triforce into three pieces. Power went to Ganondorf because it was what he wanted most, the other two were given to Link and Zelda for protection by the Gods. Seven years passed, Link had been trapped inside the Sacred Realm seven years because he was too young to be the hero. In seven years Ganondorf had become the ruler of Hyrule but needed the other two Triforce pieces so he could become a true ruler of the world. After sealing Ganondorf with the help of the seven sages, he was stuck inside the Sacred Realm and so continues the adult timeline, but Zelda returns Link into the past, seven years so he can relive his childhood, therefore creating a second split timeline.

Continuing the Child Timeline

Majora’s Mask- The happy Salesman runs into an artefact of power from the Dark Interlopers left by them during the Interloper War. Majora’s Mask. He could sense the danger of its power from the dark tribe so he was extremely careful. However a skull kid from the woods who liked to play tricks stole the mask thinking nothing of it. The skull kid with no knowledge of the power within the mask was being controlled by the Dark Interlopers. Their great power now had a body and with the body they could reap destruction all over the world of light in their bitterness. They were jealous of those who dwelled in the light and wanted to created as mush sorrow as possible. Link travels through the woods to find Navi the fairy, during this time Link’s horse is stolen by the skull kid leading Link to follow where the mask would inevitably be, and that was where the mask was going to create destruction. This was in Terminia. And using the dark powers the Twili/ dark interlopers used their powers to consume the light world. Remember, Midna was angry at her ancestors because they were the ones who craved for power. Majora’s Mask in the timeline was closer to the Interloper War than Twilight Princess in my timeline, so the interlopers who ruled the Twilight were still the same as from the war; they were evil and power hungry. But in Twilight Princess, the Twili are much nicer because they aren’t ruled by power hungry interlopers. The descendants now rule the twilight. ANYWAYS, at the end of the game you can see how the Dark Interlopers acted through the power of the Mask, Majora’s Mask acted much like the power hungry Zant. After Link destroyed the evil within the mask, the destruction of the Dark Interlopers ceased to plague Terminia.

Twilight Princess- Before Link left on his journey to Terminia, he told Zelda everything that happened and the sages who knew of the pact to protect the Triforce from evil, did exactly what the gods did. They threw him in the land of Twilight, banished from Hyrule. Zant having heavy beliefs in his ancestors ways wanted to overrule Midna. He was power hungry much like his ancestors which caused him to lose his heir to the throne, because the Twili believed that such character in the Twili was frowned upon because that character is what gave them the wrath of the gods. Ganondorf quickly used Zant as a pawn to help them both out of the twilight and rule over the land of light and darkness. Ganondorf acted as a god with the Triforce of power received by a divine prank. But Link chosen by the Gods to stop Ganondorf from taking over Hyrule, came and pushed the twilight back and saved Hyrule by finding the Master Sword in the old ruins of the Temple of Time, left by the second Hero of Time. Ganondorf is stabbed to the death, and the Triforce of Power leaves him. Ganondorf Dragmire in now dead at the end of the child timeline.

Lets go back to the second time split and go to the adult timeline.

The Wind Waker- Ganondorf uses the Triforce of Power and escapes the Sacred Realm after being locked away by Link and the sages at the end of Ocarina of Time. He started taking over Hyrule, but no hero arrived, so the Gods flooded Hyrule and froze it in time. Finally much, much later, a new hero is born and he finds out the past of Hyrule. He collects the Master Sword and battles Ganondorf atop his tower in Hyrule. The three Triforce pieces are brought together and the King of Hyrule touches it before Ganondorf touches it. He wishes for a future and a new Hyrule and floods the old one. Link kills Ganondorf and sails away to find a new Hyrule with the new rediscovered Princess Zelda, aka Tetra. Ganondorf is now dead in the adult timeline.

Phantom Hourglass- Link and Tetra get in a pickle and have to saves the ocean from Bellum. They kill Bellum, and sail off to find the new Hyrule.

Spirit Tracks- This game takes places after new Hyrule is found and formed by Hero of Winds and Tetra. The story has no importance to this timeline. Its 100% confirmed its after Phantom Hourglass.

And there you go. Phew loooong…. I hope you enjoyed. Tell me what you thought.

Last edited:
...I have to be honest, I stopped reading after FSA.... But your idea is a good thought and explains a lot actualy. Here is my Trisplit Timeline. Okay, there are three possibilities. First is the Great Flood that Starts the Great Sea , the second is if Link sucseads his job in MM. When that happens, it leads to TP. Considering Hyrule knows of Terminas existance, which I beleive true, then the third split leads to FSA.
Base: ZSS -> MC -> [Unification War] -> OoT/MM
1: [The Great Flood] -> TWW -> PH -> ST -> FS
2: TP -> [Unknown destruction of Hyrule] LoZ
3: FSA -> [Sceal War] -> ALttP -> OoA/OoS (Either one could go first or second. They do not nessisarely have to happen right after eachother.) -> AoL

Finaly! It makes sence. Thankyou! By the way, the third split is caused by Link failing to rescue Termina, so the Hyrule comes to save Termina in their time of darkness, which deprives their rescources as they were deprived in FSA. The same thing happened in split one, but the world was flooded so no trace is left. The second split is when Link sucseads in saving Termina. That way, Hyrule is not deprived of rescources and has the nessisary equipment to advance as they have.

P.S.: The Hero of Men is not Link, it is someone entirly different or not in any released games. I beleive Link from ZSS is the Hero of Men and Heroes Shade in life.

WeeGee

TheHeroOfTime
SS
is
first.

That's all I have to say about this thread. I can't read your timeline either :|

DuckNoises

Gone (Wind) Fishin'
Well, if you want to discuss the arguments concerning the "light force" and Triforce, hop on down to my thread entitled "How can TMC be the first in the Split Timeline?" That's where the discussion's arrived at, right about now.

It's intriguing. In the bit about Rauru saying Link looked like the Hero of Time, perhaps Rauru was referring to a prophecy (which, of course, would have yet to occur), but still describes the heroes and villains in question based on an interpretation from an Oracle of some sort. (I'm not referring to the Oracles as in OoS/OoA, merely the traditional meaning of the word Oracle, such as the famous Oracle of Delphi of Ancient Greece)

DuckNoises

Gone (Wind) Fishin'
Also, as to what really happens at the end of Link's Awakening, I'd argue that it's pretty much subjective, and is probably influenced upon whether or not you saw the secret ending.

Dang, sorry guys, when I pasted my time line I forgot to puts the dots so the split was at the beginning and not where they should have been. I'm fixing it now.

Oh, and I agree, Link's Awakening, the fact that it is so mysterious and that it is possible to have been real makes it a much deeper game.

DuckNoises

Gone (Wind) Fishin'
Also, as to the Interlopers/Hyrulian Civil War, what parts of that are actually in the game? It sounds vaguely familiar, but I don't recall it in game. For me, that either means I read it somewhere as speculation/"filling in the blanks" or I may just not remember that part of the game so much because I was busy being angry at how bad a dungeon the Twilight Temple was. But that's just my opinion. :xd:

Well the facts are mostly there, it's the rumor that they are the same thing though. Its not confirmed that they are the same war but the connections are there, it makes sense to me.

I'll go and bold all of the theory from fact in a sec.

DuckNoises

Gone (Wind) Fishin'
Does this time paradox allow for multiple Heroes of Time to have existed in the same reality at different times? If that's the case, wouldn't the characters be a tad suspicious? Or is your point merely that they'd take any help they could get, considering the circumstances and all?

.....................................ALttP--OoS/OoA--LA--LoZ--AoL

....................................../ (Time splits off when the first Hero of time spoken of by Rauru and Kaepora Gaebora travels back through time)

TMC--FS--FSA--(1st hero of time)--OoT--MM--TP

...................................................\ (Time splits when the second Hero of Time, the one in Ocarina of Time travels back through time)

...................................................WW--PH--ST

Everyone knows about the split when the hero from OoT created, where events changed, one lead to TP, while the other lead to WW.

But when the first hero of time created a split, (Because its a fact that there was one before OoT) He changed the events, one leading to OoT where ganondorf is sealed by Link and the Sages during the last battle, and the other one leading to the backstory of ALttP, where Ganondorf found the sacred realm and was trapped inside during the imprisoning war.

Does that make sense? lol

DuckNoises

Gone (Wind) Fishin'
It makes sense, but Rauru referring to a prophecy in which the Hero of Time is described seems like a simpler solution to me. Other than that, I don't see many issues with it.

TheGreen

is climbin' in yo windows
I will debate with you on your Link's Awakening section:
It's known that Link's Awakening was a direct sequel to ALttP.
That's that.

But, Link is not evil, although I do catch your humor. Link did not have trippy dreams, but rather, the Wind Fish in all his power (i think he would be omni powerful if he weren't a narcoleptic) dragged Link into his, The Wind Fish's, dream. So Link killed no one (and especially not Marin) because the people of Koholint were no more real than the version of your mom from your wet dreams.

Hey now, don't gotta be bringing my mom into this!
Ya I know, Link's Awakening is one of my favorites. I was just getting bored about writing down strait forward facts... so I made Link evil...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom