• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Things You Hate in Zelda

T

triple split

what do you think should change in zelda games, bring in or take out

MW7

The new tradition started in Phantom Hourglass in which you have to unlock the map as you progress. For me exploration is way better when you can at least glimpse at what's ahead even if you can't reach it (such as Gerudo Valley in Ocarina of Time). Or better yet, being able to go pretty much anywhere like in Legend of Zelda or Wind Waker (to a lesser extent because the King of Red Lions prevents you at first).

unknown

._.. .. _. _._ morse code
I don't really have too much I would change, and pretty much nothing I hate. That is speaking for the series as a group. There are ideas I have and things I would alter to make it better, but I generally don't have a lot of complaints. I would make PH more difficult, I would make SS be able to name your bird and have it fly under the clouds, I would have TP with a second quest and without "motion" controls (the GC is better) and I would make it harder. I would have harder dungeons, I would have-
You get the picture. Things can change, but I don't really hate anything.

M

Metroid.

For starters: easy/characterless bosses, repetitive items, long time between releases ;_;

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
easy bosses and enemies. I really hate it that most enemies are not very aggressive and by going in for attack you can kill them without them even putting up any resistance.

Two things that come to mind right off the bat are the AI of enemeies and the size of the dungeons.

To put it simply, the enemies need to be smarter. It would increase the difficulty of the game, make it more fun to fight enemeies in games, and make combat actually seem like combat, not just running around slashing things. I criticize Skyward Sword a lot for this because the enemeies in that game seemed dumber than a block of wood. It would take 10 years for a Bokoblin to attack you and once it finally did, it was easily defeated. Since Bokoblins is pretty much all you face in that game, it got repetitive and boring quickly.

I'm a fan of the dungeons in The Wind Waker and Twilight Princess. Both games had large, expanisve, immersive dungeons that you could get lost in, and I love that. Dungeons like the Earth Temple and Skyview Temple in Skyward Sword are too short, condense, and claustrophobic. To me, there's simply no room to explore and have fun. I know a lot of people that like the design of those temples, and want more of them put into future Zeldas, I'm just not one of those people.

I hate repetition, linearity, similar experiences. I am gonna make a list of what items could of been improved and what was good. The first weapon you get in WW was a Grapple Hook, it wasn't fun sense it didn't kill enemies but serves better purpose then a Claw/ Hook Shot. Why you might ask? With a Hook Shot you had a similar experience with a Sling Shot or Bow. It was aimed like a Bow which drops the fun. With a Grapple Hook you swung on a rope to get across and might of needed to swing harder which was useful. The only improvement needed is to make the puzzles it is needed for less obvious. Deku Leaf, should cost more and be harder to find magic. But it was great doing puzzles with it and flying with it. I will skip some just because they should not make an other appearance or are already perfect. Magic Arrows, why does Nintendo not use these anymore? They were amazing for needs and fun! The Fire Arrows burned through leather and melted ice. Ice Arrows froze a area on water and enemies. Light Arrows served instant kills or turned something upside down. The Bow was pretty good, but it seems over powering with its instant kills in Skyward Sword, and is similar to the Sling Shot. I say make it weaker and get rid of the Sling Shot sense it didn't hurt enemies and made the Bow less fun for its similar aiming. The Hammers were fine, they should be used more like in PH. It would be nice to knock enemies into the ground for some humor. Power Bracelets, they should make it so you can throw objects farther and hurt enemies more by throwing ( Like maybe the Bombs explode when they hit an enemy?) Whip, it should really just be something in between Grapple Hook and Whip they are nearly the same. I will think some more on what could be improved with the items or enemies. :clap:

Kazumi

chagy
Well, there are a few things that I really hate in Zelda, and that I think hold the series back in many different ways. However, there is one primary one that I can think of right now that really bothers me.

That would be the "innovative" controls. Ever since Phantom Hourglass, and to a lesser extent Twilight Princess, each Zelda has had a new and "innovative" control scheme. Phantom Hourglass, Spirit Tracks, and of course Skyward Sword all utilized unorthodox methods of control based off of the gimmick of their respective consoles/handhelds. Personally I don't think that these new control schemes have added anything to the game, and in many ways have in fact made the game more annoying to play. First off with the touch screen controls, that game can often be unresponsive. Generally with a button you're quite certain of what is going to happen when you press it, and can play the game accordingly. However, especially with the touch controls found in PH and ST, you can never be quite certain what is going to happen. What happens when you touch the screen isn't necessarily what you wanted or expected to happen. The excessive use of the touch screen in Phantom Hourglass was annoying, but somewhat fun sometimes. Overall I didn't mind it too much. However, Spirit Tracks brought things like using the microphone into the equation, and that's when it went to far. Having to blow into the microphone to use the Deku Spinner thing, and having to blow into the microphone to use play the flute was absolutely taking it too far. Having to do that was nothing but annoying, and definitely detracted from my experience overall. There was absolutely no reason to have to blow into the microphone to do these simple tasks. Tasks such as these were over-complicated. Finally we come to Skyward Sword. I thought that the controls in Skyward Sword worked quite well, and were often quite enjoyable. In fact you could say I was impressed with how well the Wii Motion Plus attachment worked. However, I don't believe that the motion controls added anything to the experience. I didn't think that swinging my sword in different directions really added all that much strategy to the game, as once you figured out the pattern every enemy was simple due to poor and simple AI. In addition to this, things such as throwing/rolling bombs and flying the bird with the remote were unnecessary and in fact very irritating. I was not interested in pretending to roll a bomb, or tilting my remote to fly the loftwing. Doing so added absolutely nothing to the experience, and in fact complicated the game and annoyed me once again. I am hoping that Zelda 3DS or Zelda Wii U have more basic control schemes. Having some "innovative" features is fine, but please don't overdo it.

Well, there are a few things that I really hate in Zelda, and that I think hold the series back in many different ways. However, there is one primary one that I can think of right now that really bothers me.

That would be the "innovative" controls. Ever since Phantom Hourglass, and to a lesser extent Twilight Princess, each Zelda has had a new and "innovative" control scheme. Phantom Hourglass, Spirit Tracks, and of course Skyward Sword all utilized unorthodox methods of control based off of the gimmick of their respective consoles/handhelds. Personally I don't think that these new control schemes have added anything to the game, and in many ways have in fact made the game more annoying to play. First off with the touch screen controls, that game can often be unresponsive. Generally with a button you're quite certain of what is going to happen when you press it, and can play the game accordingly. However, especially with the touch controls found in PH and ST, you can never be quite certain what is going to happen. What happens when you touch the screen isn't necessarily what you wanted or expected to happen. The excessive use of the touch screen in Phantom Hourglass was annoying, but somewhat fun sometimes. Overall I didn't mind it too much. However, Spirit Tracks brought things like using the microphone into the equation, and that's when it went to far. Having to blow into the microphone to use the Deku Spinner thing, and having to blow into the microphone to use play the flute was absolutely taking it too far. Having to do that was nothing but annoying, and definitely detracted from my experience overall. There was absolutely no reason to have to blow into the microphone to do these simple tasks. Tasks such as these were over-complicated. Finally we come to Skyward Sword. I thought that the controls in Skyward Sword worked quite well, and were often quite enjoyable. In fact you could say I was impressed with how well the Wii Motion Plus attachment worked. However, I don't believe that the motion controls added anything to the experience. I didn't think that swinging my sword in different directions really added all that much strategy to the game, as once you figured out the pattern every enemy was simple due to poor and simple AI. In addition to this, things such as throwing/rolling bombs and flying the bird with the remote were unnecessary and in fact very irritating. I was not interested in pretending to roll a bomb, or tilting my remote to fly the loftwing. Doing so added absolutely nothing to the experience, and in fact complicated the game and annoyed me once again. I am hoping that Zelda 3DS or Zelda Wii U have more basic control schemes. Having some "innovative" features is fine, but please don't overdo it.

Your being a little biased, try doing a extended version of every song in ST with a real instrument that requires breaths of air. It can get fun after a while, so Nintendo decided to make the microphone work like that. I loved it! Also, I will agree that it did get easy in Skyward Sword, the only really fun ones were the Blue Bokoblins. But I did love the motion controls anyways, it just should of had more enemies then we wouldn't get bored of repetition.

zeldatreasure

zeldatreasurechest
This is more my fault than the actual game, but I hate getting stuck in a Zelda game and not knowing what to do next. I really had trouble in Minish Cap especially. I hate when you miss talking to a guard and wander around aimlessly for two days.

MW7

This is more my fault than the actual game, but I hate getting stuck in a Zelda game and not knowing what to do next. I really had trouble in Minish Cap especially. I hate when you miss talking to a guard and wander around aimlessly for two days.
I actually would say that Minish Cap has some of the most illogical quest actions that you are required to do in order to progress. It's the kind of difficulty in which you basically are forced to talk to everyone in town in order to get the one thing you need. I got stuck in Minish Cap more than most games for sure. The only Zelda game that was more illogical than Minish Cap was Adventure of Link- I mean honestly without a guide there were things in that game that I literally would never have figured out. Part of getting stuck in Minish Cap was my fault as well like you though because for instance it took me forever to realize that though clouds over someone's head meant you could fuse kinstones. So I spent a long time stuck in places in which the game designers could never have imagined someone could get stuck (when you have to fuse with doors or statues) so there wouldn't be any hints as to what you were supposed to do.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
Here's my list of things I hate in Zelda:

Thank you, that is all.

In all seriousness, I really want Nintendo to bring in voice acting. I don't want Link to talk, of course, and I'd prefer the language to be Hylian and that they only speak in cutscenes, but VA is something that I've been wanting for a while now. Zelda singing in SS only made me crave it more.

fused_shadows

Brave Knight of Truth
I would love to see more enemies in one game, simply put it. Increase variety and throw in some wild omnes with two heads or nine lives or something. Use you imagination Nintendo!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom