• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Zelda Things the Fanbase Does That You Dislike.

Dragoncat

Twilit wildcat: Aerofelis
Can be something that people do while playing the games, or something that people say when discussing them, or something you see in fanart/fanfiction...n00bs thinking Link's name is Zelda doesn't count. This is about things that other Zelda fans do. Can be pairings you don't support, but try to think outside the box, this isn't a pairing thread.

I don't like how closed minded the fanbase tends to be, people talking about OoT like it's the only zelda worth playing and everything else is crap. These people are letting nostalgia ruin everything, sadly this happens in other fanbases as well, like Spyro for example. It's okay to hold the game of your childhood in high regard, but also accept the newer ones and appreciate them for what they are. The reverse also applies, but I dont see it as often.

I don't like when people assume Link can't talk just because his dialogue isn't shown. I've even seen comics where he only speaks in yells and grunts, seriously how unrealistic is that? Do people do that with the Pokemon player character? No!

Last edited:

Salem

SICK
Not this topic again.:dry:

I'll say the same thing as last time, this fanbases' biggest problem is that many fans complain about the other fans, it's one of the most self-loathing fanbases.

and also
I don't like how closed minded the fanbase tends to be, people talking about OoT like it's the only zelda worth playing and everything else is crap. These people are letting nostalgia ruin everything, sadly this happens in other fanbases as well, like Spyro for example. It's okay to hold the game of your childhood in high regard, but also accept the newer ones and appreciate them for what they are.
If that's the case, then the fans of newer games must accept the old game and appreciat them, it has to work both ways.

I don't like when people assume Link can't talk just because his dialogue isn't shown. I've even seen comics where he only speaks in yells and grunts, seriously how unrealistic is that? Do people do that with the Pokemon player character? No!
What if someone wants to make a comic where Link doesn't talk, so what? I don't see that as a problem.

Also, there IS an on-going comic where the Pokemon main character does't talk. It's called "super effective". It's done by the same guy who did Video Game Cats.

Last edited:

Big Octo

=^)
One of the biggest things is complaining about the most trivial things that most other fanbases don't really care for. It's almost as if it's against the law or something to enjoy the latest game in the series due to such notions. I will say that I didn't enjoy Skyward Sword, but it wasn't due to these trivial things, rather, more relevant things that weren't my cup of tea.

Another thing that bothers me is the treatment of Dark Link as if he's his own character. In all of his incarnations, he's the result of sorcery. There's no mysterious backstory regarding him, he's just a spell created to thwart Link, nothing more. The amount of fan fiction surrounding him (or rather, it) is phenomenal and often times... not very good, to be blunt. He's an interesting enemy concept, and that's about it.

Mangachick14

Nerdy and Proud
Totally agree with you with your points.

For my own, I'm gonna have to be unoriginal and say that I don't like it when people pair up enemies. You name it; LinkxGhirahim (By far the most popular and worst one, in my opinion), LinkxDarkLink (Which, by the way is super narcissistic), ZeldaxGanon, ect. If they hated each other's guts at any point in the franchise, you can bet your best bananas they've also been paired up. I just don't understand where it comes from, especially since the characters canonically would rather kill each other. Other types of pairings don't really bother me, even if I don't support them, because at least they're somewhat possible--even if the characters barely interacted in-game.

Dragoncat

If that's the case, then the fans of newer games must accept the old game and appreciat them, it has to work both ways.
Yeah, I forgot to say that...but you have to admit, the hating seems to be more toward the newer ones.

Also, there IS an on-going comic where the Pokemon main character does't talk. It's called "super effective". It's done by the same guy who did Video Game Cats.
I've seen that comic and it's hilarious, but...still.

Big Octo said:
Another thing that bothers me is the treatment of Dark Link as if he's his own character. In all of his incarnations, he's the result of sorcery. There's no mysterious backstory regarding him, he's just a spell created to thwart Link, nothing more. The amount of fan fiction surrounding him (or rather, it) is phenomenal and often times... not very good, to be blunt. He's an interesting enemy concept, and that's about it.
Agreed.

Mangachick14 said:
For my own, I'm gonna have to be unoriginal and say that I don't like it when people pair up enemies. You name it; LinkxGhirahim (By far the most popular and worst one, in my opinion), LinkxDarkLink (Which, by the way is super narcissistic), ZeldaxGanon, ect. If they hated each other's guts at any point in the franchise, you can bet your best bananas they've also been paired up. I just don't understand where it comes from, especially since the characters canonically would rather kill each other. Other types of pairings don't really bother me, even if I don't support them, because at least they're somewhat possible--even if the characters barely interacted in-game.
That happens in a lot of fandoms...it's a common trope, and I agree that it makes no sense.

Salem

SICK
I more or less agree, I think Dark Link is slightly over reacted, but then again, you can't stop people for liking a certain aspect of the series, no matter how trivial it seems to you.

Yeah, I forgot to say that...but you have to admit, the hating seems to be more toward the newer ones
It depends on which part of the fanbase you're talking to, each Zelda has it's own haters, no exceptions.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
I'm fine with people who want voice acting, think OoT will never be surpassed, only enjoy the classic games, and delude themselves into thinking Zelda has a deep symbolic story. These are all just opinions. The things I have issue with is

1) The fanbases inability to separate what THEY want and what's actually beneficial for the series.

2) The fanbases refusal to acknowledge that both sales and critical reception ARE important because that's what keeps Zelda from sharing the fate of Star Fox and F-Zero.

3) Fans who can't shut up about their favorite game. Seriously, these people place this game on a pedestal and worship it like a deity. They put the cult in cult following.

4) Fans who can't shut up about their least favorite game. I'm fine with people who want to obsess over flaws that some games have or strengths that others have, but there's no need to reference the same game over and over. Many of these games share the same flaws/strengths. You don't need to out one of them and harp on it on and on and on.

5) Fans who consider their theories to be factual when, in reality, there's little room for factual theories in this series.

6) The complaining nature of the online fanbase compared to the real world fanbase. In the normal fanbase people will join when they gain interest in the series and leave when they lose interest. The online fanbase is the opposite...it joins when it wants to cry and moan and then they usually leave when they are satisfied.

7) Fans who are behind the times. Zelda is becoming linear and easy! They need to get with the freaking program. Zelda has been linear and easy since OoT...that's 15 years now. It's fine if you don't like it, but this is nothing new.

8) Fans who think this series is targeting 18-30 year old men. There's a reason most of the games look so childish. There's a reason this series is so easy. In interviews, it's been made clear that, at times, Miyamoto has gone out of his way to make the games easier. This series was made for kids and young teenagers. That doesn't mean we all can't enjoy it, but we're not the target audience.

9) Fans who haven't realized this fanbase is a niche.

Fans who complain its too easy, then use it as a gateway to promote themselves about how good they are. "Ugh, it was too easy, like I just did the 3 heart challenge with no upgrades in half an hour, gimme a challenge before I melt."

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
My pet peeves - some of which have been mentioned by others:

1. "Fans" who seem to hate most of the games. What I mean is, it seems like with every game that comes out, people who were looking forward to it immediately go into bashing it. (This is the reason why I stay out of "new upcoming game" sections, I don't want to hype myself up with the anticipation only to see the product be, well, normal). With some discussions in the Zelda fandom, I wonder why some people call themselves Zelda-fans when they only seem to be fans of one or two games and seem to want to burn the rest. (I'm not saying you have to like all games equally, I'm just saying that if most of your "fandom" is a hatedom, you should look for a new fandom that you actually *enjoy*).

2. "Fans" who would "rate" other fans by which games in the series are their favorites. Let's just say that sometimes, I feel a little weird for being a Twilight Princess fan around here. It seems that most of y'all seem to think I have no taste or am inferior in my fandom in some way. Just because TP is my favorite doesn't mean I don't love Wind Waker, Ocarina of Time, etc, or that I "can't handle challenging games." I grew up on Classic LoZ and AoL. *I've beaten AoL start to finish multiple times.* Just because I happen to like the atmosphere of TP (and love Midna) doesn't mean I'm half-a-fan of the series.

3. A fanfiction/fanart peeve: Two Words: Dark Link. In canon, he is a spell, a murderous shadow (perhaps representing Link's darker emotions and sins?) that Link has to fight. Nothing less, and NOTHING MORE. Navigating Zelda fanfiction anywhere I read it... I've gotten to a point where I will not read anything with a summary promising Dark Link in a significant role because *so few* people ever write him the way I like him/think he actually is. No, instead, it's some kind of pairings fic (no matter if it's yaoi or het) or something else that turns him into a total sad little woobie-poo or some cackling Saturday Morning Cartoon villain with added blood and lust. I happen to enjoy CANON Dark Link - a mirror-fighter that represents Link's "shadow side" WITHOUT having a personality. I think Dark Link is symbolically important and it annoys me that everyone wants to mess with that. --- If you want a "dark" character that has an actual personality and brain that you can play with, try playing "Kid Icarus: Uprising." Dark Pit has something that Dark Link will hopefully *never* have - his own existence. I believe that people can do whatever they want with fanfiction and fanart, it's just... there are some things I'm not inclined to view or read, personally, because I find them annoying. (Don't worry, I won't comment/nit, though... which brings me to my last peeve)...

4. Something more in general: When people whine a lot about one including something unorthodox in fanfiction / playing with unknowns in fanfiction / doing AU stuff. I actually don't get this a lot, but whenever I write Zelda fanfiction, I feel I have to disclaimer out the wazoo for the "nerd babies" that I know are just waiting in the wings to swoop down and nitpick everything. Sometimes, I PURPOSEFULLY screw with / go non-canon with the Timeline. YES, I think Zelda CAN be done with guns! Relax. I don't work for Nintendo. I enjoy playing with the fandom (within reason). Use some imagination.

Dragoncat

2. "Fans" who would "rate" other fans by which games in the series are their favorites.
People do that? o_o

As for you adding guns, that sounds interesting enough. As long as they're not semi automatic machine guns or space age laser guns, cause that just wouldnt be Zelda to me. It would be Halo or Metroid or something like that. With gadgets like the clawshot and cannons, I can see simple guns being invented in Hyrule.

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
People do that? o_o

As for you adding guns, that sounds interesting enough. As long as they're not semi automatic machine guns or space age laser guns, cause that just wouldnt be Zelda to me. It would be Halo or Metroid or something like that. With gadgets like the clawshot and cannons, I can see simple guns being invented in Hyrule.

The conversations about "Zelda and Guns" always seems to go in this direction, because people panic. By and large, however, whenever I see people favoring the idea of guns in the series, they seem to be talking along the lines of magical guns or flintlock pirate-pistols or something like a fanfic of mine (limited use of six-shooters with swords still being important).

And let's just leave it at that, before you try for becoming one of my fandom pet-peeve people.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Anytime I see a fan praising a game I dislike, I get angry. I hate when people praise thoroughly easy titles. I hate when people praise concepts that make my head go caput due to me dislike of said concepts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom