• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Things That Are on Your Mind

Terminus

If I was a wizard this wouldn't be happening to me
Alright so my mom got stuck on this ****ty mobile game and she said if I helped her beat it she'd buy me pizza but she refuses to buy extra moves and she's wasted her power ups and it's literally luck based and now she says I have to beat it for her and she misses the point of actually playing the game so **** everything.

Djinn

and Tonic
Denmark is on my list and it's not even that far from where I live. Belgium is 45 minutes away, Germany 3 hours and Denmark maybe 5 hours. France 6 hours.
I have traveled lots of hours to get places before. Normally to go to a new beach.

My parents lived in Germany for several years before my sister and I were born so growing up there was lots of German stuff all over the house.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
I have traveled lots of hours to get places before. Normally to go to a new beach.

My parents lived in Germany for several years before my sister and I were born so growing up there was lots of German stuff all over the house.
Germany has a lot of castles. It's a beautiful country. I have been there several times. Your parents should have stayed there. then we could have a european ZD meeting with all the members in europe

Djinn

and Tonic
Germany has a lot of castles. It's a beautiful country. I have been there several times. Your parents should have stayed there. then we could have a european ZD meeting with all the members in europe
They did live there almost 9 years, long enough I assume. But now they never travel anywhere at all.

Best I could ever do was go with my aunt who goes to the UK twice a year and then that's actually work. Not really a vacation.

Whoa vs. Woah

Why has the second, commonly misspelled version become so popular recently?
Both spellings are correct. They are two different interjections, used for different things. If you use the spelling "whoa" for everything, I'm afraid to inform you that you're wrong. "Whoa" is most commonly used alongside figurative commands, such as "stop" or "back off." "Woah" is used as an alternative of "wow." That being said, "whoa" is seen as slightly more formal than "woah" is, and that is probably why the usage has changed.

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
Both spellings are correct. They are two different interjections, used for different things. If you use the spelling "whoa" for everything, I'm afraid to inform you that you're wrong. "Whoa" is most commonly used alongside figurative commands, such as "stop" or "back off." "Woah" is used as an alternative of "wow." That being said, "whoa" is seen as slightly more formal than "woah" is, and that is probably why the usage has changed.
That makes sense. The part that throws me off, though, is that "woah" is still omitted from practically every single dictionary I can find (all search results show up as "whoa"), but the usage hasn't shifted entirely. Regardless I think that whoa's definition isn't entirely set in stone, either; it can also be used as the interjection for surprise. In short, they might be different spellings, but they essentially mean the same thing and are interchangeable...is the middle ground argument, I suppose.

Thanks, that clears things up.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom