• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

WW-Wii U The Wind Waker HD's Bloom Gets Dialed Back

You are correct, Sir, well done! Gold star for you! *applause, confetti* Along the right lines, at least. ;)

OT, I'm glad they dialled back the copious amounts of cheap, out of focus bloom, it doesn't fit the toon artstyle at all and was pretty detracting to a really pleasant, vibrant palette! Dynamic bloom, great. Turning on a big bloom lightbulb, bad. Not as bad as Syndicate, which literally blinded you just running down a hallway cos of the bloom. If no one's ever played Syndicate...

7a8afa8c9a569d36aa9010f20bddd27e67382d02.jpg__620x348_q85_crop_upscale.jpg

SO. MUCH. BLOOM! It's like flying into the sun... I'd have probably enjoyed the game if I could see it.

3pt9mf.jpg

That game burned my retinas so bad... :(

This looks SO much better. You know me in all my videos and whatnot, I've trashed the HD visuals. But with the bloom reduced, the colors don't look anywhere nearly as washed-out and the cel-shading is actually visible again. It looks pretty close to how it should, and hell, I'd even venture to say it looks good now. I think I'm getting excited about this game finally, especially with the recent news about Hero Mode.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
I'm not a follower of your videos, so I don't know to what extent you've trashed these visuals. But to go from trashing them to praising them on the basis of a few tweaks to the bloom (which I'm still yet to notice that considerable of a difference) seems a little petty.

And... how exactly is it petty? The blinding bloom effect is gone, which gets rid of the eyesore and washed-out color problems. Those were huge issues, and they've been fixed. The game looks more like it should, as he said. That's a natural reaction. I think you should learn the proper definition for "petty" before throwing it around, because you used it very incorrectly.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I'm not a follower of your videos, so I don't know to what extent you've trashed these visuals. But to go from trashing them to praising them on the basis of a few tweaks to the bloom (which I'm still yet to notice that considerable of a difference) seems a little petty.

If this is petty then all complaints regarding eyesoar (<--OoA pun) are petty. We should be forced to use the 3D of the 3DS even though there's significant eyestrain involved with it. We should be forced to have bloom everywhere in our daily lives, and even stare at the sun for many minutes at a time. To complain is petty.

I'm obviously exaggerating above, but the idea that changing views over something bothersome is petty...just doesn't ring right with me.

Last edited:

ihateghirahim

The Fierce Deity
The brightness was way too high in the first shots, and it could have hampered the game. They probably had it that way to try to keep the game colorful. I mean the colors don't stand out as much as they used to.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
I don't get what you're getting at with the "We should be forced" thing, but it's not the complaining that I think seemed petty. It was the switch from he "trashed the HD visuals", a statement that implies he was trashing the visuals on the whole, to now praising them, again on the whole, on the strength of one aspect of such visuals that made it seem petty to me.

He "trashed" what was being DONE with the visuals. Now that the problem(s) have been removed, there's nothing for him to gripe about. What's so complicated about this?

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
A rather important update, here. Apparently this is the title screen for The Wind Waker HD. I don't know about you, but it sure looks like that horrifyingly intense bloom that was reduced isn't... well, reduced.

...Not quite sure what's going on here, but it doesn't exactly bode well.

1268853_10151568213381447_1108488021_o.jpg

Oh, and here's a brief video of game footage from the downloadable review copy of Gamnesia (same place that took the screenshot).

[video=youtube;uyIbzVk172Q]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=uyIbzVk172Q[/video]

Nintendo... wat r u doin?

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I'll tell you what: TWWHD has some weirdass lighting that makes it "seem" realistic, which clashes horribly with the general cel-shaded styling. I may be using the wrong terms here, but the thing is that I don't think TWWHD looks at all better than TWW. Once aflipingain, it appears DIFFERENT, not better/worse. :/

Salem

SICK
Have anyone notice Link has more than 200 rupees while in Dragon Roost Cavern? How do you sail to the Northern Fairy Island before learning the Wind's Requiem, which is in Dragon Roost Island? If you get to the island and learn it, will the King of Red Lions even allow us to leave to the Northern Fairy Island before completing the Forbidden Forest?

Last edited:

Snow Queen

Mannceaux Signature Collection
I actually liked the ridiculous amount of bloom. It added character. It made it feel like a dream, like a fantasy (which Zelda is supposed to be). I wonder if the bloom is adjustable?

ProtagonistJake

Shepard
Either
A. That footage Jucie posted was recorded a while ago
or
B. It's adjustable
cause this video that just came out today doesnt have obnoxious bloom.

[video=youtube;K9G3OAMQGD4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9G3OAMQGD4&feature=player_embedded[/video]

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom