• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

The Moving Generation

Wii encourages you to get up off your tooshie and move around....

Playstation followed with the Sony Move....

Xbox encourages you to get fit with Kinect...

While the traditional game controllers, and methods of gaming still exist, there is definitely a big push towards making gaming a more body oriented activity. How do you feel about that?

I'm all for getting America healthy and eliminating obesity, but I work and move all day at work, It would be nice to come home and sit and relax and allow my mind to play and give my body a rest.

Lady_Yuna

GoodNight SunShine!
I think its a good thing that major companies are starting to make the body more involved for gaming. Even though its a pain in the butt when your using a wii controller to shoot an enemy (shaky hands); its still fun and challenging in my case lol :P. Schools in the near future though should resort to gaming when it comes to physical fitness too.

Baysiderulez said:
It would be nice to come home and sit and relax and allow my mind to play and give my body a rest.

True and that's when you resort to the old fashion PS3 controller =). However, I don't think this means more games are going to be "body oriented" from now on. They could, but I think it will be a while from now.

I love the controller, and avoid games that play using lots of motion control. Probably just because I am used to the old ways, but I also find because the "move to control" medium is quite new the execution is quite clumsy and the technology not yet refined enough to work perfectly. Give them a few years more and maybe I'll switch over to that, but for the time being it's all about the controller or the good old mouse and keyboard.

Onilink89

Nyanko Sensei
Personally i love the controller. Sitting back and pushin buttons. I don't mind motion controls, however to a certain degree. No way i'm getting of my chair to play a game.
So kinect is defenitly not my thing. The issue for the next gen would be no just the technoligy, but also the software to back it up.

Personally i love the controller. Sitting back and pushin buttons. I don't mind motion controls, however to a certain degree. No way i'm getting of my chair to play a game.
So kinect is defenitly not my thing. The issue for the next gen would be no just the technoligy, but also the software to back it up.
Ditto!

Another issue with Kinect is that since there is no controller, you can't really make a "core" game unless they dumbed down the controls a lot.

You can't play Kinect while you are seating down, which is something I don't find appealing.

I'm more into actually moving phsyically, like sports or hanging out with my friends at the mall or whatever. I don't need a game to make me move, that is just lazy. :/

Ikana

Trollkastel
Well for me I enjoy the classic way of controlling everything, I don't hate the whole moving style but i prefer the old style of controls. I already tried the kinect for Xbox but after a few games I just wanted to sit down I was sick of getting up then getting back down when it came my turn, but games that make you move and stuff are just not my way of gaming I guess.

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
I haven't tried - except playing demonstration Wiis in stores. I know it's something I'd have to get used to. I like the spirit of it, definitely - the interactiveness, the idea of getting people to move with their games... but I hope tradtitional style isn't phased out completely.

I have the same issue that Baysiderulez does. I happen to work a very physical job right now (I'm a stablehand/ranchhand - for serious. It's only part-time, strangely enough, but I've full-timed such work) If you've never spent a day mucking out horse stables, you do not know how physically demanding it is and hurty a person can get doing it. I've had my current job for the last year and have grown muscles. If I'm in the mood for gaming - it's great to just sit or lie down on a couch with a contoller after a morning of that.

I suspect many gamers are in the same kind of position - as much as the "fat lazy gamer kid" is a sterotype, there are plenty of us who work hard physical jobs and don't want to move much when we get home.

February Eve

ZD District Attorney
I'm all for getting America healthy and eliminating obesity, but I work and move all day at work, It would be nice to come home and sit and relax and allow my mind to play and give my body a rest.

I'm in the same position as you right now, but on the other hand, I've been in what was essentially a desk job before as well and wouldn't have minded getting a chance to move around after that, especially in winter. What's a bigger issue to me with the trend toward movement is wondering how much space those games will require. It's actually similar to a problem I've had with my exercise DVDs, where instead of just concentrating on the instructions, I've had to figure out ways to orient my body so I don't run into a sofa or fall over a footstool. So far, I've not had any trouble with the Wii, even with Wii Fit. The more "your body is the controller", however, the more of a problem I can see having.

On the bright side, I can see the technology improving to the point that it could actually be a great physical therapy aid in the future, with the system able to sense if you are doing the movements correctly and giving suggestions for improvement if not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom