• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

The Hero's Charm

Anemos

Master of Chaos
The Great Flood took people completely by surprise. Everyone was too worried about Ganon taking over Hyrule.

Let's go to Mrs. Marie for a second. A school teacher. She likes to collect jewelry, does she not?

And look at how she dresses. Baggy, purple pants remind you of anything? What about the scarf that could go over her face? The pendant?

I have two things of artwork to show you:

150px-Mrsmarie.png

Gerudo_Guard.png

Could Mrs. Marie be a descendant of the Gerudo?

This idea is what is behind the theory. Here's what I think may have happened:

In the panic caused by Ganon's return, the Gerudo went throughout Hyrule stealing everything they could. One of them found the Mask of Truth. Then, one of them was told by the Goddesses to escape to the mountains, so they took the Mask of Truth with them. The one that escaped was chosen because of their lack of ability to steal. The Mask of Truth was later changed into the shape of the Hero's Charm (named so because the Gerudo knew it had belonged to the Hero of Time), which was passed from generation to generation until it finally came into the hands of Link in the Wind Waker.

Wild theory, right?

But it fits. What other mask had the ability to look into other people's souls like the Hero's Charm? None but the Mask of Truth.

The evidence is lacking. That I am aware of. But is it possible?

We may never know.

Anemos

Master of Chaos
You seem to have 2 theories here. For the Gerudo, I doubt it. It could be possible, but really doubt it. As for the Hero's Charm, it was from the Gossip Stones and was from Tetra's parents.

I really don't understand what you are talking about. This is why I prefer when proper grammar/spelling is used. It's a lot easier to understand.

But if what I do understand is correct, you are obviously not following me. I think you are referring to Daphnes Nohansen Hyrule's words in the castle basement, right?

That stone is an enhanced version of the
Gossip Stones long spoken of in the legends
of the Hyrulian Royal Family. I am the one
who made it.
In this case, the gossip stones here are able to be used by those who have them. The other ones from Ocarina of Time could only be understood by the one with the Mask of Truth.

So, in other words, the Wind Waker Gossip Stones are essentially cell-phones. Tetra gave them the name "Pirate Charms".

DuckNoises

Gone (Wind) Fishin'
Well, if that's the case, water damage might explain why the Hero's Charm is so ugly. :P
Didn't Ganondorf say in TWW that all of the Gerudo tribe (with the exception of himself) was wiped out by the Great Flood?

Anemos

Master of Chaos
Didn't Ganondorf say in TWW that all of the Gerudo tribe (with the exception of himself) was wiped out by the Great Flood?

No. I'm sure most of them were, but the Goddesses may have spared more than one.

The closest quotation to that idea would be:

My country lay within a vast desert.
When the sun rose into the sky, a burning
wind punished my lands, searing the world.
And when the moon climbed into the dark
of night, a frigid gale pierced our homes.
No matter when it came, the wind carried
the same thing... Death.
But the winds that blew across the green
fields of Hyrule brought something other
than suffering and ruin.
I coveted that wind, I suppose.

or

YOUR GODS DESTROYED YOU!

But he never says that all of them were destroyed.

DuckNoises

Gone (Wind) Fishin'
Again, this seems to be one of those things where we have to decide if it's just an homage to the Mask of Truth or if it's a canon, reoccurring artifact.

DuckNoises

Gone (Wind) Fishin'
I never said it wasn't canon, I just meant that it may or may not be the exact same Mask of Truth, which may or may not be relevant to the timeline as a whole by being a long-lasting artifact of the Zelda universe. Whichever you choose, you're still more or less where you started, in terms of understanding the big picture.

Take for example, that the Cane of Pacci in TMC is an homage to the Cane of Somaria in ALttP; the items are both nearly identical magical canes that do magical things, but they are not necessarily (at least, as far as we know) the exact same artifact, but are merely similar objects intended for the purpose of nostalgia or recognition of another game. The similarity, however, does not really work as leverage for an argument.

Now, another example; take the Skyward Sword in SS and the Master Sword in OoT. Many people are starting to think that they will eventually become the same item, the Master Sword. For the purpose of this argument, assume for a moment that this theory is correct. They are both legendary, magical swords that will, according to the theory, eventually become the same object. This example is relevant to the timeline, however, because it explains the origins of the Master Sword, an item that is very important to the stories of the games themselves.

It's possible that the situation surrounding the Mask of Truth and the Hero's Charm is similar to one or both (in varying degrees) of the above examples. Personally, I think it is slightly more the former, but that's only my opinion. I also think that the Mask of Truth was almost certainly the inspiration for creating the Hero's Charm as an in-game object. It's entirely possible that it could be the Mask of Truth from OoT, and it also might not be; either way, the stories of both OoT and TWW are cohesive and related.

All I'm saying is that whether or not you think the Hero's Charm is in fact the Mask of Truth, your decision on the matter will probably come down to a personal one. In retrospect, I probably shouldn't have used the word "we" in "we need to decide," because it implies the effort of the theory community as a whole; what I meant is that it comes down to every member of the theory community to decide for themselves.

Anyway, why is Mrs. Marie being a descendant of the Gerudo relevant to the Mask of Truth being the Hero's Charm?

Pinecove

Last Chance
Take for example, that the Cane of Pacci in TMC is an homage to the Cane of Somaria in ALttP; the items are both nearly identical magical canes that do magical things, but they are not necessarily (at least, as far as we know) the exact same artifact, but are merely similar objects intended for the purpose of nostalgia or recognition of another game. The similarity, however, does not really work as leverage for an argument.

Just because they aren't the same object doesn't mean they are not related to each other.

Now, another example; take the Skyward Sword in SS and the Master Sword in OoT. Many people are starting to think that they will eventually become the same item, the Master Sword. For the purpose of this argument, assume for a moment that this theory is correct.

Aonuma said this WAS the case, so it's not really a theory. =/

It's possible that the situation surrounding the Mask of Truth and the Hero's Charm is similar to one or both (in varying degrees) of the above examples. Personally, I think it is slightly more the former, but that's only my opinion. I also think that the Mask of Truth was almost certainly the inspiration for creating the Hero's Charm as an in-game object. It's entirely possible that it could be the Mask of Truth from OoT, and it also might not be; either way, the stories of both OoT and TWW are cohesive and related.

IT could serve as inspiration yes, but they could STILL be connected. In this case, they would have both been created by the sheikah.

Anyway, why is Mrs. Marie being a descendant of the Gerudo relevant to the Mask of Truth being the Hero's Charm?

I was saying it makes more sense for her to be part sheikah instead of Gerudo do to the Hero's charm.

Anemos

Master of Chaos
I was saying it makes more sense for her to be part sheikah instead of Gerudo do to the Hero's charm.

I thought about that, too. I thought it was actually the most likely. I remember from OoT that it was passed down by the Sheikah. However, some quotations said otherwise.

They say that Princess Zelda's
nanny is actually one of the
Sheikah, who many thought had
died out.
They are the Sheikah...the shadows
of the Hylians.
They say they swore allegiance to
the King of Hyrule and guarded
the Royal Family.
But with the long peace, no one
has seen a Sheikah around here
for a long time.
I am Sheik.
Survivor of the Sheikahs...
I didn't think that it would work. From what I can see, Impa was the last Sheikah.

Since the Gerudo were thieves, it was next most likely with the similar appearance.

If Link didn't give it to anyone before he left for Terminia, and the Sheikah didn't pass it on, someone had to have stolen it.

And who could possibly be a theif in Hyrule?

I think there are at least ten good suspects living in the deserts of Hyrule.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom