• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Majora's Mask The Happy Mask Salesman: Who is He Really?

Ganondork

goo
In Majora's Mask, you are face-to-face with a mysterious man; The Happy Mask Salesman. Now, Link at the moment was a Deku Scrub because of the Skull Kid wearing Majora's Mask. He tells Link he will return him to his former state if he brings him the Mask that Skull Kid is wearing, and the item that was taken from Link. "...Now, I am a very busy man," Says the Happy Mask Salesman, "So I can only stay here for three days..." Why three days? Simple; that was moments before the Moon would come crashing into Termina. You retrieve your item; the Ocarina of Time and go back to the first day. The Happy Mask Salesman, despite not having Majora's Mask, returns you to your former form. But why exactly? Perhaps he was aware of the fact that you could not get Majora's Mask back while being a Deku Scrub.
Majora's Mask was used by an ancient tribe centuries before for hexes and rituals, and The Happy Mask Salesmn tells you this without hesitation. But how does he know this? There may be a possibility that he actually is a descendant of them. But then there arises another question; how did he know when and where Link, in his Deku Scrub form, would be at? He seems to know more than he lets on, and yet he also appears to be rather immature. One example is his meltdown when Link comes with the Ocarina of Time, but not Majora's Mask. If he knew that Link would be able to go back in time, what troubed him so much? With the able to go back in time, Link's failure rate was more than likely less than 20%, and yet The Happy Mask Salesman was absolutely mortified.
Now, as I stated earlier, he left in a timely manner seconds before the Moon came crashing down. He was clearly aware of this fate and decided that his safety was more important than that of Link's. Link jumps through hoops for this man and yet he isn't given warning except through the chatter of the townsfolk in Clock Town. Not only this, but during the 3-day period, The Happy Mask Salesman sits in the tower, although he claimed he was "a busy man". Surely there was somebody who wanted to buy a mask in Termina for the festival that begns mere minutes before the Moon brings their demise.
All of this evidence shows how The Happy Mask Salesman clearly has a lot more information than Link will ever figure out but refuses to share any of it. We may never figure out his true motives but srely he is not a good person because he values his life over other's, but is also not a bad person becausehe does not want o allow Skull KId touse Majora's Mask's evil on the people of Termina.

Peace Of Heart

Piece of Heart Collector
Here is the man in question:
happy-mask-salesman-10420.jpg

And here is Majoras Mask:
majora_mask.jpg

What I want to point out is the same purple color on both the mask and the salesman. The salesman's clothing attire definitely fits the bill for being a descendant of a tribe that used "black magic" and hexing rituals. Not to mention his shoes....come on. He's either a jester or a descendant, and I think he his a descendant lol.

I think that he is just a descendant doing what his tribe couldn't do, trying to finish what they started if you will. Even though he doesn't tell you much about himself, I think that what he DOES tell us and the way he's dressed speaks very well for themselves.

Hylian Knight

Green Armored Menace
I also think the man is a descendant because he's the only one seems to know what the mask is actually called.

Kafei was affected by the mask she mentions an imp wearing a mask who changed her to look like a child instead of an adult.

The Observatory guy: He tells that Skull Kid would take his Moon's Tear.

Tael

Fairy
Hi, wanted to make such a thread, too, so I have some more references and interesting details :) :
If you don't want to read everything you can just look at the bottom of my post

First time getting to Clock Town:
"You have meet with a terrible fate, havent you?"
If the Moon falls and Link gets killed the same thing is said and someone (proberbly the Happy Mask Salesman) is laughing. I think you don't laugh when everybody gets killed by a giant moon.

"I own the Happy Mask Shop. I travel far and wide in search of masks..."
"During my travels, a very important mask was stolen from me by an imp in the woods."
"So here I am at a loss... And now I've found you."
*laugh*
"Now don't think me rude, but I have been following you..."
"...For I know of a way to return you to your former self."
"If you can get back the precious item that was stolen from you, I will return you to normal."
He knows about Link's Ocarina and that he was cursed by the Skull Kid. A little bit strange I think.
How can he follow Link, without getting noticed by the Skull Kid, Link, Tatl or Tael ?
Furthermore they used a horse and they were fast.
He also risks to get cursed by the Skull Kid himself.

"In exchange..."
"All I ask is that you also get my precious mask that the imp stole from me."
*laugh*
"What? Is it not a simple task?"
"Why, to someone like you, it should by no means be a difficult task."
Very easy: Just get the magical Mask of somebody who just cursed you...

"Except..."
"The one thing is... I'm a very busy fellow..."
"And I must leave this place in three days."
"How grateful I would be if you could bring it back to me before my time here is up..."
The moon will fall down in three days...

"But yes.. You'll be fine. I see you are young and have tremendous courage."
Could be a reference to OoT.

"I'm sure you'll find it right away."
"Well then, I am counting on you..."
*laugh*

When going to the Clock Tower with the Ocarina of Time
"Were you able to recover your precious item from that imp?"
"... You got it! ..."
Nice one. Link played the Song of Time and everything started over again, or maybe not?
Imagine you were the Happy Mask Salesman:
Link (cursed by the way) leaves the Clock Tower. About 30 seconds later he comes in again, with the Ocarina of Time. You would probably wonder about this. The Happy Mask Salesman isn't doing this, he even ignores it.

"Then listen to me. Please play this song that I am about to perform, and remember it well..."
By the way: Nice headposition 170°

"This is a melody that heals evil magic and troubled spirits, turning them into masks."
"I am sure it will be of assistance to you in the future."
"Ah, yes. I give you this mask in commemoration of this day."
"Fear not, for the magic has been sealed inside the mask."
"When you wear it, you will transform into the shape you just were. When you remove it, you will return to normal."
He knows that Link will need the Deku Mask and the Song of Healing again.

"Now, I have fulfilled my promise to you..."
"So, please, give me that which you promised me..."

"Don't tell me..."
"My mask..."
"You did..."
"get it back...Didn't you?"

*geting angry*

"What have you done to me!!!"
"If you leave my mask out there, something terrible will happen!"

"The mask that was stolen from me... It is called Majora's Mask."
"It is an accursed item from legend that is said to have been used by an ancient tribe in its hexing rituals."
"It is said that an evil and wicked power is bestowed upon the one who wears that mask."
"Acooording to legend...
"the trouble by Majora's Mask were so great..."

Now there is a scene which is the very same than the scene you see when the Moon falls.

"the ancient ones, fearing such catastrophe, sealed the mask in shadow forever, preventing its misuse."
"But now, that tribe from the legend has vanished, so no one really knows the true nature of the mask's power..."

"...But I feel it."
"I went to great lengths to get that legendary mask. When I finally had it..."
"I could sense the doom of a dark omen brewing. It was that unwelcome feeling that makes your hair stand on end."
"And now... that imp has it..."
Not everybody has such skills...

"I am begging you! You must get that mask back quickly or something horrible will happen!"
"I'm begging you! I'm begging you! You must do it!"
"Really? You'll do it for me?"
"I was certain you would tell me that."
"You'll be fine! Surely, you can do it."
"Belive in your strengths...Belive..."
*laugh*

When speaking to him again:
"Only 71 hours remain. But time is not eternal. Please make the most of your time."
"I belive in you. I will be waiting for you."
He has very much trust in Link. Just like that he would know that Link will be successful.

How you see, only the amount of abnormal things is making a behaviour which is not the one of a "regular" salesman.

How to explain this ?
The Happy Mask Salesman could be some kind of a sage of this tribe...
What do you think ?

A

Anti-Hero

The Happy Mask Salesman is Majora. It's really that simple if you think about it. I'd provide evidence if you would like.

Hylian Knight

Green Armored Menace
I think don't just Tael would like to see this evidence I would to because this Thread has brought up alot of though about Majora's Mask itself.

Many people also think that Fierce Deity might have fought Majora if what ur saying is true then ur saying Fierce Deity fought the HMS which doesn't make sense.

A

Anti-Hero

How does the HMS refer to the mask? "my mask." And does he ever specify what his name is? No. He acts in the same manner as the mask, and he never leaves the same spot, so in turn, you never know what he's doing. He can control time, transport instantaneously, and conjure items at will. He and the mask are both playful, but become enraged when spoken to at some points with information they don't like. He was following Link in the woods just as Link was attacked, but was never seen, so it can be implied that he was controlling Skull Kid when SK put the mask on. SK stole the mask, because that is the nature of his race, or so the HMS says, but who's not to say the mask wasn't just given to SK? I mean, with the HMS's powers, he could've easily dealt with SK. Sounds a little fishy, don't you think?

Apart from this, all of the moon children had similar bodies, clothes, and hair to that of the HMS, while the moon itself had a similar face to that of the angered HMS. And didn't the moon and HMS appear simultaneously?

Coincidental?

HMS always knows how much time remains, but that isn't possible unless he's pulling the strings. How could anyone know when a disaster like that will happen and the specific time at which it will occur? Why would it happen at the time of his departure? The citizens sure don't. It had to be predetermined by him.

It's apparent that he lies. The quest is just a playful, immature challenge for Link to amuse the HMS. He is then seen laughing before he vanishes into air once he regains the mask.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hylian Knight

Green Armored Menace
Wow come to think of what you just said it kinda makes sense. So basically HMS could have caused the Moon to fall because he is Majora creepy. I've compared images of the angered HMs to face of the Moon and they are very similar. How did you get that the HMS could control time, transport instantaneously, and conjure up items at will.

A

Anti-Hero

Well I edited my post above. The HMS conjured the large piano below the clock tower from nowhere. The HMS appeared behind Link from nowhere. Link was not aware of his prescence until he spoke. At the end, he appears during the celebration and then vanishes. Finally, while Link is below the Clock Tower, there is no clock on the screen, which implies that while he is there, time stops. He states that time is not eternal, yet he stops time instead of letting it fade. This makes him hypocritical, an immature trait, in conjunction with the facts that he lies to Link and substitutes the pronoun "my," instead of "the" or "majora," when referring to the mask.

By the way, Link only accepted the deal to retrieve MM, because he would, in turn, get his Ocarina back. The HMS knows this, as stealing the ocarina is the only thing he could've commanded the mask to do so that Link would accept his challenge. Once accepted, Link had fallen into his trap, due to fact that he had to get the mask for the HMS in return for being returned to his Hylian form. But Link would only need to return the favor if he was first turned into a scrub, which was the case and what the HMS did. The HMS predetermined everything.

Hylian Knight

Green Armored Menace
I believe he has a magical pouch to hold items much like I think Link has.(The piano part) I also at the end of the celebration when he vasihes Nintendo didn't feel like showing the HMS walking away plus I think he re-enters Clock Town which is shown as him vanishing. The time stopping in the tower I agree with because the clock doesn't show on the screen and I also think that he can't stop time outside of the Clock Town Tower which is why the Moon is falling.

The lying to Link part with substituting "my" can use in-game text for that part.

A

Anti-Hero

He dissipates though, so I don't believe he re-enters the town. The lie would be that he "went to great lengths" to get it, which is false if it's his, and used to lure Link into his scheme. Why can he not get the mask himself if he possesses such great powers as well? Obviously, a trap. As for the pouch, it's adopted non-canon that Link is the only one in posession of one. Plus, the bag he does carry is filled with masks and a sleeping bag. Furthermore, if he couldn't teleport, he wouldn't have been able to follow Link, especially in such a quick fashion. The two, MM and the HMS also share the same distinct laugh, albeit Majora's Mask's is at a higher pitch due to skull kid being its host.

Hylian Knight

Green Armored Menace
Thanks I get ur view point now. I agree he can teleport and about the pouch if his (Most likely filled with masks) is full then he would have to be able conjure items at will, to explain why he can't get the mask himself maybe the mask(Majora's Mask) when a person puts it on it takes control of that person if that person doesn't take the mask off in certain amount of time in has total control of that being. Great discussion sending you a Friend Request so we can discuss over VM's instead over this Thread unless if you prefer discussing over this Thread.

I never thought of this before, I now think he is part of the tribe, he could be the last one in the tribe. Also the Mask freaks me out, so does he, so they must be related :D

A

Anti-Hero

Eh, eveything I posted's crap. I need to do a hell of a lot more research.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom