• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and 3DS

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
That last bit… that’s a VERY recent feature, because that wasn’t in the Invitational. I can’t remember which match it was, but the lengthy animation of a character going off into the distance caused time run out before the KO, so the match went to Sudden Death.

This is great news! I’ve seen people not get the victory they deserved (including myself) far too often because of that kind of thing. Sakurai, you wonderful man.

You hear that, guys? Chrom's not in the game because he'd be too much like Marth & Ike, but Lucina's perfectly okay even with her animations identical to Marth's! LOGIC!!

For the record, I don't care that she was going to be a Marth alt at first. The fact that Sakurai's reasoning for Chrom not being in the game is that he'd just be "another plain sword-wielder" makes his decision to add Lucina to the roster hypocritical.

I think the only reasons Lucina's in the game is due to being a good excuse to have another female in the roster & fanservice. Imho, Lucina's a complete waste of a slot & I was hoping we wouldn't have that many clone characters this time. Way to troll your fans, Sakurai. -___-

Krazy4Krash

Staff member
I think the only reasons Lucina's in the game is due to being a good excuse to have another female in the roster & fanservice. Imho, Lucina's a complete waste of a slot & I was hoping we wouldn't have that many clone characters this time. Way to troll your fans, Sakurai. -___-

There's no such thing as "a waste of a slot", because there are no slots. If we didn't get Lucina, nobody would be taking her place; we'd have Marth, Ike and Robin as our Fire Emblem characters. That's it.

In regards to clone characters, she is the only one so far, out of 38 characters, 13 of which are newcomers (counting the Mii Fighers as three separate movesets). I don't think that's bad at all, especially when you consider the only semi-clone we have so far is Toon Link (and mayyybe Luigi, it's hard to say). Even if we see the return of Falco and Ganondorf (and Lucas, I guess, if you want to consider him a semi-clone), the amount of 100% unique characters we have will absolutely trump the semi-clones, who themselves will likely be as unique as ever through Luigification. We can only wait and see how many clones in the manner of Lucina will be introdcued. I suggest we do that.

Last edited:

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
You're missing the point, guys. Lucina's potential as a character has been wasted by her being such a blatant clone. Sakurai AT LEAST could have given her some original moves, like her Sonic the Hedgehog spin for her n-air and a unique version of Dancing Blade. Even Roy in Project M had his moveset slightly altered to become more of a semi-Marth clone -- why can't Lucina get the same treatment since she has her own slot?

I swear, if her Final Smash is Critical Hit...

Last edited:

Krazy4Krash

Staff member
The potential of a character who canonically is meant to be close to Marth? We haven't even seen most of Lucina's moveset; only like three attacks outside of special moves. Who knows how many of her standard attacks are different. The games are still in development, even; nothing is concrete until release, if the past is any indication. She already has the unique aspect of her mask that toggles on/off with a taunt. Give it time and we'll have more.

UPDATE: CoroCoro have refined the contents of the textbox about Smash 3DS.

CoroCoro to feature all the Smash Bros. Wii U/3DS revealed thus far

Must have been pressured to change it, as to not repeat the infamous act before Brawl. Should still be a good issue, with screens and information about all characters up until early August.

Last edited:

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~

Super Smash Sisters FTW!

It's looking like my four main characters are going to be Mario, Zero Suit, Ike, and Lucina.

I hope those Amiibos aren't that expensive, because I'm at least going to need those four.
sad.gif

Curmudgeon

default setting: sarcastic prick
It's looking like my four main characters are going to be Mario, Zero Suit, Ike, and Lucina.

I hope those Amiibos aren't that expensive, because I'm at least going to need those four.
sad.gif

One of the few advantages to being so limited skill-wise that you only are able to learn to play one character.

PhantomTriforce

I am a Person of Interest
How do you guys determine who your mains will be before even playing the game? Wouldn't you rather use the player that matches your playing style rather than force yourself to be good with a player you may not even like?

PhantomTriforce said:
How do you guys determine who your mains will be before even playing the game? Wouldn't you rather use the player that matches your playing style rather than force yourself to be good with a player you may not even like?

Well, I can't speak for everyone, but as far as myself is concerned, I'm already pretty confident in the four I think I'll use most. It could definitely change for sure, but this is what I'm thinking right now:

Mario has been my number one main since Melee, and he's carried over quite well from game to game, being my prime main in Brawl as well. I actually picked up Ike and REALLY liked his hard-hitting power-house style, and how much it contrasted with Mario's fairly quick and weak attacks. It also helped that I adored Ike's games on both the Gamecube and Wii for sure, but I found that Mario and Ike were two sides of a coin that I enjoyed flipping a good bit. If there's any indication for those two, they're pretty much the same as they were in Melee/Brawl, and I'm confident that my love of playing them will carry over to Smash 4 quite nicely.

Lucina is kind of different. Like I said, I love Awakening, and it's one of my favorite games of all time. Lucina was an awesome character in it, and I'm super happy she's got her own slot. But another reason for my wanting to main her is how she's seemingly a easier-to-use Marth. I always though Marth was a cool character, and he's always boasted a fighting style that lended itself very well to Smash; Marth has been a top-tier player for quite a while now. I never really wanted to use him personally though, as he always seemed a little too technical for my tastes. Sure, I could have gotten used to him eventually, but Lucina is looking like an easier character to use than Marth, which naturally makes me gravitate towards her on top of my love for her game and character already.

Samus and Zero Suit Samus are kind of just me being the Metroid fan I am. Metroid is my favorite game series ever, so I really want to use those two.... Although I've admittedly never liked playing as Samus. Samus has always seemed clunky to me, lacking good speed moves that Mario and Ike both have, and I think her projectiles are just awkward at times. I like Zero Suit much more just because how agile she is, a stark contrast to normal Samus. And Zero Suit is more visually appealing than any other Smash character, so there's that too......

Just my initial thoughts, anyway. Who knows, Villager might end up being my favorite character of all time, knocking off Mario for my top spot. It's tough to say right now, especially with the newcomers we don't know too much about.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!

Uh... maybe because we know who our mains have been in the past and we can look at new characters and see if they might fit our playstyle?

Krazy4Krash

Staff member
I'll be trying out each of the ten characters I most confidently play as in the previous games (Link, Samus, Luigi, Captain Falcon, Mario, Donkey Kong, Kirby, Bowser, Ganondorf and Ike). The only aforementioned character that hasn't been confirmed is Ganondorf, and all others are looking as good as they've ever been, so I'm in a good spot regarding my favourite veterans.

Some other classic characters have received some changes I'm fond of, and are now very interested in. These are Zero Suit Samus, Pit, Charizard, Lucario and Toon Link. I was forced to play as Zero Suit quite a bit in the past simply for chosing Samus in item matches, but never got really good with her due to this inconsistent manner. I'll be needing to play with these characters quite a bit.

Of course we can't forget about the newcomers. Rosalina and Palutena were the two characters I wanted in the game most of all, and while their styles don't entirely fit what I'm used to, you can bet I'll be playing as them a hell of a lot. Little Mac is a cool bloke and better suits my strengths, so that's another for my lineup.

I think I may as well say I'm maining the Random slot.

Tell me about it.

Curmudgeon

default setting: sarcastic prick
I'll continue to main Pikachu unless another fighter shows equal ability to stall and troll

Libk

Spaceballs: The Mafia Player
I personally found my new main at the smash fest event When I played Little Mac. I was pretty sure about him before but after playing him I KNOW I want to main him. And I was sure based off of how he already seemed to fit my playstyle

A Link In Time

To Overcome Harder Challenges
ZD Legend
It's a bit late for me to share my thoughts on last week's characters reveals, but better late than never, right?

While the possibility of Robin as a Smash Bros. character was at the back of my mind for quite some time I assumed, like most people, that Chrom would be the favorite to place in the game. Although he's not a playable character this time around, a cameo as a part of Robin's final smash will suffice.

Robin himself appears to be one of the more unique ranged characters to the Smash Bros. and I look forward to testing him alongside Greninja and Little Mac as the newcomers I want to try out most.

As for Lucina, although it's a shame that she lacks a unique moveset and controls only slightly differently than Marth, I side with K4K, in aknowledging that a new character, even if a clone, is better than nothing.

It's great to see Fire Emblem gaining representation in the Smash Bros. series. I've read a few posts on other sites lamenting the addition of so many fighters from the FE universe, yet now is a better time than any to increase exposure for the franchise after the hugely successful Fire Emblem Awakening, which finally helped Fire Emblem cement its place as a mainstream Nintendo franchise in the west.

There doesn't need to be much said about Captain Falcon as he's one of the faces of Super Smash Bros. and it's great to see him back in the fray for a fourth run.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom