• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and 3DS

PhantomTriforce

I am a Person of Interest
Some other classic characters have received some changes I'm fond of, and are now very interested in. These are Zero Suit Samus, Pit, Charizard, Lucario and Toon Link. I was forced to play as Zero Suit quite a bit in the past simply for chosing Samus in item matches, but never got really good with her due to this inconsistent manner. I'll be needing to play with these characters quite a bit.

I'm not aware of any changed for Toon Link; I thought he was going to be pretty much identical to his Brawl self. Maybe I'm missing some info on this character, could you tell me?

Krazy4Krash

Staff member
I'm not aware of any changed for Toon Link; I thought he was going to be pretty much identical to his Brawl self. Maybe I'm missing some info on this character, could you tell me?

Toon Link hasn't changed that much, I shouldn't have let on that he has. I'm still very interested to pick him up. The only change I can immediately think of outside aesthetics is that his grab doesn't slack; it retracts quickly like in Smash Brothers 64. It also reaches much farther in the air (not sure about the ground), and immensely improves his tethering like all the other characters who have the ability. Worth mentioning also that because regular Link has some changed attacks and animations, such as dash attack, up aerial and backwards roll, Toon Link technically has more unique stuff going for him.

Speaking for what we haven't seen yet, I hope his special move customisations aren't the same as Link. I'm wanting to see Fire Arrows, Ice Arrows, the Fire Boomerang and the Ice Boomerang be options, to further reference the Zelda games.

Krazy4Krash

Staff member
This is a reminder for the official Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS tournament taking place at Comic-Con in San Diego this weekend. It can be viewed live on Nintendo's Twitch. The build used will be the same as E3, with ten stages and twenty characters available, including four not in the equivalent Wii U demo (Luigi, Sheik, Toon Link and Yoshi). However, it lacks Rosalina, Link, Zero Suit Samus and Olimar.

Also, posted on Ubisoft's Twitter page a few days ago was an updated version of Rayman's trophy in the Wii U game, though in low quality. The official Super Smash Bros. Facebook page later posted a higher resolution duplicate version, seen below.

uuipdv.png
For reference, this is the old model as seen in the daily pic prior:
hhsjcr.png

No explanation was given in either instance as to why the two trophies differ in appearance.

EDIT: More screenshots! A thread on NeoGAF here kindly links them. As they say, if thumbnails don't show, click the images anyway to view them. All the screens feature the three characters shown off last week, that is, Captain Falcon, Robin and Lucina. Additionally, this is our first sight of the retro stage Green Hill Zone on Smash 3DS. This was Sonic's home stage in Brawl.

Last edited:

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Second Rayman trophy should be in the game as "Drunk Rayman".

jrecnIycWxEb1.bmp

That would be romantic if not for the psycho duck frog lady staring at them... She seems content on watching the events un-fold.

Snow Queen

Mannceaux Signature Collection
That's nothing.

1405350698_17.jpg.jpg

yesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyes

Last edited:

Krazy4Krash

Staff member
Week 58

Monday, 21st July
zlCfzSMS8nIcvPUP3Z

Robin's Nosferatu is the first ability in the Smash Bros. series that recovers your damage as it gives damage to others. The attack becomes even stronger if you strike from behind! Robin doesn't actually use this ability in the original game, but we added that element to make the character unique. Who knows--the ideas we use in this game may contribute to the original series.
Robin's down special move, first seen in his trailer. The details were elaborated on in Famitsu magazine, and the post above. Additionally, we can see evidence of Pit's blue palette swap beneath the darkness.

Tuesday, 22nd July
zlCfzSMmCz0KVzqbOq

Here's the Great Fox from Star Fox: Assault. I wonder what missions it will conduct. It'll probably have fighters running around on top of it without the pilot's consent.
A new Star Fox stage. The Great Fox seems to be the main aspect, just as most Star Fox stages have been in the past. Its design, along with the Arwings, have evolved from the Lylat Wars look they have stuck with in previous Smash Brothers games.

Wednesday, 23rd July
zlCfzSM5sPUuQzGp4V

In general, there are completely different stages in the 3DS and Wii U version, but we made Wily Castle and the special boxing ring available for both versions! We didn't forget the Yellow Devil either. There may be some small differences in the stages, such as the 3DS stage appearing to be during daylight hours.
We've known about this stage since the games were revealed in E3 2013, however it was thought to be Wii U exclusive until now. It is the fourth stage known to be in both titles, after Battlefield, Final Destination and the Boxing Ring.

Thursday, 24th July
zlCfzSNLovYq93g28c

This is the Tomodachi Life stage that's exclusive to the 3DS version! The front walls of the apartments disappear so you can see the area within when a fighter overlaps with the room. The rooms are randomly placed and selected from among several types. Planting an X Bomb behind a wall might be an effective tactic.

zlCfzSNLpBkGD95Fjk

You might run into a Mii living in the room! The Mii characters are taken from the data in your 3DS system, so you could find your friends living in the apartments.
This stage was teased in daily pic earlier this year. The image was cropped to only one room, and this is the true unveiling of it. The concept of having front walls that disappear when characters are inside is similar to Luigi's Mansion in Brawl. However, this is split among the rooms instead of one view.

Friday, 25th July
zlCfzSNeTkQ7lATz2R

For the first time ever, I present to you…the main menu for the 3DS version!! The icons are even animated. The design concept may look similar if you've played other games I've worked on. But we had a hard time making this one because…

zlCfzSNeUCcxY_WGy5

The bottom screen displays pictures matching each mode! This was quite a task for the UI (User Interface) designers, but they made it happen. Kudos to them! You can tap the screen to look up additional info like how to play--complete with diagrams.
Indeed, those familiar with Sakurai's previous work should feel right at home. Some features such as "StreetPass" and "Wii U" have not been specifically detailed on to date, so look forward to information regarding those in the future.

Krazy4Krash

Staff member
Don't forget about the Smash 3DS tourney at Comic Con today!

Right. Nintendo Challenge Live begins in just over four hours from now (I think; this is coming from a calculator). I won't be watching it live because it starts at 4:30am for me, but for those of you who are up and active, it may be viewed at that time on Nintendo's Twitch page here. For details on the event, click here.

PhantomTriforce

I am a Person of Interest
Sakurai said:
Robin's Nosferatu is the first ability in the Smash Bros. series that recovers your damage as it gives damage to others. The attack becomes even stronger if you strike from behind! Robin doesn't actually use this ability in the original game, but we added that element to make the character unique. Who knows--the ideas we use in this game may contribute to the original series.

Looks like someone's been paying a little attention to Ivysaur from Project M :right:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom