• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and 3DS

Krazy4Krash

Staff member
Week 50

Monday, 26th May
zlCfzR-Eljk6HsxA90

Here's a look at the revival platforms. The color of the bottom mechanism changes from yellow to red to warn you how much time you have left before you drop into the fray.
The platform disappears in five seconds, and characters are invincible for two seconds after falling off, whether by input or when seconds five seconds are up. Players would generally only stall on the platform to avoid a present Final Smash, but may also use the time to plan a strategy. This is a graphical presentation of remaining time on the revival platform before it disappears, and may be helpful in these instances.

Tuesday, 27th May
zlCfzR-VEVoehnJyWf

The rocket belt from Pilotwings lets you fly upward by jumping. This is a really useful item for characters that have weaker recoveries. By the way, is that cape fireproof?
An item that debuted in the April Smash Direct. This is its first screenshot, and we get a description on how it works. The input to fly is the jump button (or 'up' on the directional input if the player has tap jump enabled), but we don't know how long it may last or be worn.

Wednesday, 28th May
zlCfzR-jouIALm7Iyk

Characters that have heavy damage slowly start to emit steam. When your opponent starts to get nice and smoky, give 'em a solid attack!
A new feature dependent on a characters damage, and like the new mirroring effect, reflects some other titles, when characters may be at low health.

Thursday, 29th May
zlCfzR-yV0oVmqGPjD

You can charge up Ike's Eruption attack by holding the button down, but remember to release it right before it fully charges to avoid recoil damage. Let go of the button at the moment the sword shines!
Ike's neutral special move returns, and a new feature of it is to emit a shine just before full charge. Its recoil was 10% damage in Brawl, and may or may not be the same in these new titles.

Friday, 30th May
zlCfzR_Bgn0NCBTXTJ

Here's a first look at the bottom-screen display for the Nintendo 3DS. Your name will appear in the area above the accumulated damage. And if you tap one of the fighter displays…!

zlCfzR_BgyY93n-t5n

…You can highlight that fighter on your screen. This is useful when you want to get back at a particular opponent. You can also highlight yourself if you need to keep better track of where you are. This is a great benefit to having your own individual screen.
The bottom screen for regular gameplay has been out of sight until now, and this screen opens up our perspective of the 3DS title. Worth noting is the as seen in the April Smash Direct, a user's nickname can be up to at least 8 characters now, which is an increase of over the limit of 5 in Melee and Brawl.

Last edited:

Fig

The Altruist
This week was quite promising given the amount of details and announcement that we received for Smash! I love the details that we got in this week's Pic of the Day segments and I do believe it is great to see how much work is being put into these games! I can't wait for the Summer of Smash to begin! Although I'm very certain the best part was the reveal of the GameCube Adapter for the Wii U!!!!

I am surprised though that Mew2King isn't in this.

I think Nintendo played it safe by not picking Mew2King for their roster. For those that don't know Mew2King, he is one the best competitive Smashers today. That said, if you know Mew2King you will see that he isn't afraid to speak up of what's bad about the game. Look what we had to say about Brawl, he was very serious and you you tell that he really dislike the mechanics of Brawl. If were to be in the Invitational, I'm very certain he wouldn't be afraid what are the possible things in Smash 4 that he might severely dislike. The Invitational is suppose to show off Smash 4 and it's suppose to be shown in a positive light and I don't think Nintendo wants to have their champion state things that "Certain items are overpowered, stages are not properly balanced, or characters are not balanced and that a certain character is considered too OP for the game". It would look bad for the entire event and I'm very certain Nintendo wants this event to be as successful as possible.

Last edited:

Krazy4Krash

Staff member
I agree with Fig. Mew2King is also quite infamous for some acts he has done in the past; he's had his fair share of controversies and is arguably the most famous Smasher for some of the wrong reasons. Despite improving in recent days, and regardless of his skill level, M2K remains far from humble. I'm sure Nintendo want to not only avoid anything related to incidents in the past, but keep an extremely family-friendly image, while encouraging fun.

We don't know what has gone on behind the scenes at Nintendo, however, and who or what they considered regarding potential players. We only have the list of participates to speculate our basis around. Who's to say Mew2King was asked to play but declined for a reason of his?

Nevertheless, I'm satisfied with the final list. I was never too fussed about it to begin with. Looking forward to watch the tournament.

Nintendo did a good job picking out a fair number of girls. :right:

Gotta have the Bash Sisters.

Wait... A Smash Brothers game is being produce for a portable system!

AND!!!! it has mega-man!!!!

Half Life 3 has been announced!!!!!

But Seriously, Im tired of waiting for this game. I bought a 3ds to play this.

"Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle."- Abraham Lincoln

Krazy4Krash

Staff member
Week 51

Monday, 2nd June
zlCfzSACFmgn4pYpMS

Here's a new Wii U stage, Mushroom Kingdom U! It brings to life the worlds of New Super Mario Bros. U.

zlCfzSACGFkxjQ_owV

When Kamek casts a spell, the stage transforms drastically! That said, this is not what you would call a moving stage…
…By the way, this stage will be playable in the demo version of the game for E3, a game expo that starts on June 10 in Los Angeles.
Quite a while since a new stage has been revealed via a Pic of the Day, and on a Monday no less. New Super Mario Bros. U was a launch title for the Wii U in 2012, and should be no surprise considering we have Pikmin 3 and Sonic Lost World stages, which were released on the console at later dates.

The first screen takes place in the first world, Acorn Plains, and has some Stretch Blocks that primarily appeared in world six in that game, Rock-Candy Mines. That is also the setting of the second screen, but it additionally has Water Spouts the third world, Sparkling Waters, is known for.

Tuesday, 3rd June
zlCfzSATF2MR5bm1ID

Some stages have been shrunk down and made into trophies, like this one of Tortimer Island for the 3DS version. I wish I could have a figurine like this in real life.
This is the fourth trophy known to exist in the 3DS title, and the first in all to be based on a stage. All others are miscellaneous characters that have nothing to do with gameplay, with the exception of Dillon, who is an assist trophy. There are have been several stage-based trophies in the past, such as Peach's Castle in Melee and Luigi's Mansion in Brawl.

Wednesday, 4th June
zlCfzSAjN2cYaFm8D2

Here's a new item that we've thrown in--the boomerang. As you'd guess, it'll fly back into your hands after you throw it, and if you keep catching it, its attack power grows with each throw! However, opponents can nab the boomerang out of the air, so it might be an easier item to use in Smash Run.
This item was first seen in one of the press screenshots released for the Smash Brothers April Direct, but with no description behind it, the Boomerang could only be speculated upon. Being a Boomerang, it isn't too hard to guess what it does, however it turns out to have a fun mechanic that increases its strength over time.

Thursday, 5th June
zlCfzSAw3SgUFawo2M

Brewster brings The Roost back to Smash Bros. Nothing beats watching a battle of famous fighters with a freshly brewed cup of coffee.
This bar is a potential background element for the Town portion of the Town & City Animal Crossing stage. It was in Brawl's Smashville stage, as well.

Friday, 6th June
zlCfzSA-J2U1yaGS0s

Here's Ike, Marth and…a brand-new stage!

zlCfzSA-KAsTvKq6dq

We've added a familiar setting from the Fire Emblem series, the Coliseum. In the original game, this place is filled with both hope and despair. There is machinery in the ground that activates variable platforms.
Another new stage, this one from Fire Emblem. It is the second revealed stage for the series, after Arena Ferox on 3DS. It seems to function similarly, as there will apparently be appearing platforms.

Last edited:

A Link In Time

To Overcome Harder Challenges
ZD Legend
Following Mezlo's cue, I have a few predictions of my own for the remainder of the game's roster.

• Captain Falcon: All the original Smash veterans have always returned so following suit, they should here as well.
  • Jigglypuff: Same as above.
  • Ness: Same as above.
  • Meta Knight: Sakurai loves including his own characters and King Dedede is back making Meta Knight's return a high probability. He'll likely be hit with nerfs after Brawl.
  • Mr. Game & Watch: He's the epitome of Nintendo's entrance into handheld gaming and a cult favorite.
  • Ganondorf: Ganondorf is up there with Bowser as the cornerstone Nintendo villain. To differentiate from Captain Falcon, I agree with popular opinion claiming he will be more sword based this time around.
  • Palutena: Kid Icarus' latest installment was developed by Sakurai and with Palutena conspicuously absent from Pit's new final smash, her inclusion has a solid chance of occurring.
  • Pacman: Namco-Bandai has helped with the game's development and Pacman is one of gaming's premier mascots.

Krazy4Krash

Staff member
It's going to be a long week, and due to E3, I'm going to be taking these Pic of the Day updates one at a time just this once. This was Sakurai's Monday image released earlier today:

Pic of the day.
Remember the video that introduced Greninja joining the battle? Every Pokemon that appeared in that video will make some kind of appearance in Super Smash Bros! By the way, here's one of the Pokemon that didn't make an appearance in that video--Meloetta. Its vocal attacks reflect off land forms, so they'll be especially effective in a closed environment.

zlCfzSBxUtA6fpIWxf

Meloetta was one of the Pokemon featured in the Pokeball segment of the Smash Brothers Direct in April. It is one of the 26 currently seen PokeBall Pokemon known to exist. This consists of 12 returning and 14 new ones. A list of them follows, along with which version of the game (Wii U or 3DS) they may have been seen in, as it is known some will be exclusive to a particular version.

Returning Pokemon known to be in both versions are:
  • Bellossom
  • Goldeen
  • Meowth
  • Metagross
  • Staryu
Returning Pokemon seen only on Wii U so far are:
  • Deoxys
  • Electrode
  • Entei
  • Latias
  • Lugia
Returning Pokemon seen only on 3DS so far are:
  • Mew
  • Snorlax

New Pokemon known to be in both versions are:
  • Arceus
  • Fennekin
  • Keldeo
  • Kyurem
  • Meloetta
  • Palkia
  • Xerneas
New Pokemon seen only on Wii U so far are:
  • Chespin
  • Dedenne
  • Eevee
  • Gogoat
  • Victini
New Pokemon seen only on 3DS so far are:
  • Darkrai
  • Spewpa
As mentioned, it is now known every Pokemon seen in the CG segment at the beginning of Charizard's and Greninja's reveal trailer will star in SSB4 to some capacity. This suggests all the Pokemon here that are not playable will be PokeBall Pokemon, but due to the funky wording of "will make some kind of appearence", may be something else, such as a stage element. It could just be reassurance that Pikachu, Charizard and Greninja were in this CG segment and are known to be playable, however. A list of Pokemon seen here, and not yet in gameplay, follows.

Brawl PokeBall Pokemon seen only in CG are:
  • Gardevoir
  • Kyogre
  • Suicune
  • Togepi
New Pokemon seen only in CG are:
  • Fletchling
  • Giratina
  • Inkay
  • Oshawott
  • Snivy
  • Swirlix
  • Zoroark
Nintendo's Digital Event at E3 begins in roughly 23 hours from this posting, and I want to use this time to bring up the OP of this thread as a source for people to bring themselves up to date if they have not been following these updates closely. Some areas (namely the veteran characters) still need work done to them, however I highly suggest looking through regardless to keep up to scratch of the known contents of the two new Super Smash Bros. titles.

Last edited:

Snow Queen

Mannceaux Signature Collection
It's going to be a long week, and due to E3, I'm going to be taking these Pic of the Day updates one at a time just this once. This was Sakurai's Monday image released earlier today:

Meloetta was one of the Pokemon featured in the Pokeball segment of the Smash Brothers Direct in April. It is one of the 26 currently seen PokeBall Pokemon known to exist. This consists of 12 returning and 14 new ones. A list of them follows, along with which version of the game (Wii U or 3DS) they may have been seen in, as it is known some will be exclusive to a particular version.

* SPOILER *
As mentioned, it is now known every Pokemon seen in the CG segment at the beginning of Charizard's and Greninja's reveal trailer will star in SSB4 to some capacity. This suggests all the Pokemon here that are not playable will be PokeBall Pokemon, but due to the funky wording of "will make some kind of appearence", may be something else, such as a stage element. It could just be reassurance that Pikachu, Charizard and Greninja were in this CG segment and are known to be playable, however. A list of Pokemon seen here, and not yet in gameplay, follows.

* SPOILER *
Nintendo's Digital Event at E3 begins in roughly 23 hours from this posting, and I want to use this time to bring up the OP of this thread as a source for people to bring themselves up to date if they have not been following these updates closely. Some areas (namely the veteran characters) still need work done to them, however I highly suggest looking through regardless to keep up to scratch of the known contents of the two new Super Smash Bros. titles.

My only Poképhiliac lover makes it in! YASSSSSSSS YAS YAS YAS!

Daniel Bryant: YES! YES! YES!
(Triple H stares in confusion and anger)

Akuhime-sama

What's Life Without Adult Humor?
Lucario was revealed in January. I thought you would have noticed the immense strength buff he's received, and a Mega Evolution. I'm probably going to start playing as him, in fact. I wouldn't worry about Meta Knight or Wolf being removed.

Really?
I'm not that well informed. xD
Either that, or I just plain forgot.

Anyway, ALRIGHT!! It would be AMAZING if all my characters stayed. ^^

Also, any news on Gamecube controllers?
I heard about [This] Recently and I've been wondering, does that mean Nintendo will be possibly making Gamecube controllers again? I mean, I think they SHOULD, especially for the new SSB.

And is there any other info on this adapter?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom