• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and 3DS

Krazy4Krash

Staff member
You know, they should really integrate the Circle Pad Pro into the 3DS ver.; that thing is such a waste of money as-is and I just can't take that :? anymore. :I It's this uglyass block in my drawer that never comes out because I never play REvelations or KH3D. :I

I wouldn't be surprised. Looking at what could be used in Brawl and reading the inquiries about Super Smash Bros. 4, the games tend to favour having as many options as possible for players. Sakurai also used the Circle Pad Pro in a past 3DS game of his, Kid Icarus Uprising. I'm sure many players would benefit from having a second stick to use. ;)

sailorgirl221

What a fearsome beast!!
are they really going to use the fitness instructor from the wii fit??? I wonder what here moves are! lol!! I can't wait to try this game out though.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
jin_kazama1__large.jpg

Jin (T6) Patroklos (SCV) and Link (SSBWiiU)

Krazy4Krash

Staff member
Super Smash Bros. director says character selection is stressful 'almost to the brink of death' | Polygon

Sakurai is an intense man. The article goes into depth of the process and the considerations he takes. I highly suggest a read.

The amount of stress I feel, it's almost to the brink of death. Because it's not just a matter of me personally thinking this character or that character is going to be in the game; it's that we also have the game balance, animation, graphics and sound to think about in order to make that character fully fleshed out in that universe. I have to think about all of that when I go through this decision-making process.

Also, we should expect to hear less from him during the development of the game compared to Brawl.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
Gonna sound like an idiot, but why does he need to remove characters? What's the marketing if not characters? If you don't add more and more, the game becomes a carbon copy of the last one and there's little reason to buy it. People are already noticing this with the newest installment. In fact, the reason I'm buying it is solely because the flaws of Brawl, not the amazing evolution I can see here.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
See that's the kind stuff I love about Nintendo: they care about consumers. Sakurai shows he cares about the playerbase with that article. I think we should reciprocate that care - because if Sakurai could have it his way he'd probably include everyone that was requested (or maybe he'd 180 and have a bunch of different Kirbys, who knows? :rolleyes:). So while the addition of Mega Man and Wii Fit Girl were very jarring to some of us, we just have to respect the man and now we actually know his reasoning for including them: it isn't just popularity, but game balance and uniqueness. :yes:

My only complaint thus far besides the appearance of the game is the names chosen. Super Smash Bros for 3DS and Super Smash Bros for Wii U are definitely distinct from SSBB and SSBM...but they're also kinda bland. :I

Salem

SICK
See that's the kind stuff I love about Nintendo: they care about consumers. Sakurai shows he cares about the playerbase with that article. I think we should reciprocate that care - because if Sakurai could have it his way he'd probably include everyone that was requested (or maybe he'd 180 and have a bunch of different Kirbys, who knows? :rolleyes:). So while the addition of Mega Man and Wii Fit Girl were very jarring to some of us, we just have to respect the man and now we actually know his reasoning for including them: it isn't just popularity, but game balance and uniqueness. :yes:

My only complaint thus far besides the appearance of the game is the names chosen. Super Smash Bros for 3DS and Super Smash Bros for Wii U are definitely distinct from SSBB and SSBM...but they're also kinda bland. :I

1-Mega Man jarring?:S
2-Forget the villager, Wii fit trainer is creepy as hell...
3-I hope they come up with better names for these games, hopefully it doesn't have "universe" in the title.

Krazy4Krash

Staff member
I've started an archive of the Smash Bros. website updates, as well as the Director's Room Miiverse Community. Now those of you without a Wii U ID can see all of Sakurai's comments and daily pictures posted there. ;)

I apologise for not yet getting to writing of the newcomers yet. There's a lot to say and a lot to show about these pesky buggers, so hold on a little longer. I really want to get to talking about the stages, so expect things soon...

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
The stages are interesting...but has there been any word On final smashes from Brawl veterans? Will Link retain Triforde Slash; will Mario keep the Finale, etc?

As for stages, what are you all excited about? Are you looking for tourney-balanced stages or are you looking for the imbalanced, more fun stages?

Not all Brawl characters will be returning, but that's to be expected. I perfectly hope to see Toon Link, ZSS, and MK gone.
"I can answer that: no. We don’t have the time to fully recreate every single character who’s been in Smash Bros at this point," Sakurai explained.

"Adding new characters is not a simple addition – it’s really multiplication. The amount of work, adding a character is multiplied and becomes bigger and bigger as you go. We can’t because of the amount of work it takes. However, I do believe I understand that each character has its own set of fans out there who really like that character.

"So we’re not going to cut characters out of the way, we’re going to put in as many characters as we can, we really want to do that, because it's good for the fans and good for all of us. But in the event that we do have to cut some characters, I’d like to apologise in advance to those fans."
Source: Super Smash Bros: 'We Don't Have Time To Bring All Characters Back' - NowGamer

Last edited:

Krazy4Krash

Staff member
The stages are interesting...but has there been any word On final smashes from Brawl veterans? Will Link retain Triforce Slash; will Mario keep the Finale, etc?

I would assume most return the way they are. Just my guess, though. There has been no confirmation of veteran's final smashes, the only to be seen so far has been Samus, and we don't even know whether or not she still turns into ZSS. What a tease. -.- I do hope that those whose suck (Kirby, Mario) are buffed substantially. Samus' already appears to be shooting out a lot faster than it did in Brawl.

Not all Brawl characters will be returning, but that's to be expected. I perfectly hope to see Toon Link, ZSS, and MK gone.

Dafuq is wrong with them? To be honest, when you say Meta Knight especially, all I'm seeing is blind hate considering he is OP. =/

Well, that's a damn shame.

New Article:
Sakurai Considering Mewtwo for Next Smash Bros. Games - News - Nintendo World Report

EDIT:
There's also this piece: Pokemon In Super Smash Bros: How They're Selected - NowGamer

Last edited:

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Sakurai says SSB is about the accidents and the unpredictability of stages and items, but I completely disagree. I don't get fun out of losing thanks to a chance item spawn, or even winning thanks to a chance item spawn. That stuff is OP - and to relate to your reply, Krazy, exactly why I want MK gone...or to be less harsh, seriously nerfed priority-wise. But, he's the boss of Smash, I trust what he says. ;)

"When you boil things down to pure competition, it's not always the most engaging experience. For example, think about the 50-meter dash. This is something that really comes down to speed. You see a lot of people progressing in a linear direction, and the person who is fastest in the beginning is quite often going to be the winner. It's predictable--and while it is pure competition, it's not necessarily engaging in the same way as events with unpredictability. As developers, we have to think about all of these circumstances when designing fighting games." — Masahiro Sakurai

Source: Sakurai Says Smash Bros. Series is About Accidents, Traditional Fighting Games Aren’t Engaging

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
Well SSB, like many Nintendo games, was made for casuals. If all the chance was removed, the best player would always win...and for a hardcore gamer, this is great, but casuals want there to be a fighting chance.

Krazy4Krash

Staff member
Sakurai says SSB is about the accidents and the unpredictability of stages and items, but I completely disagree. I don't get fun out of losing thanks to a chance item spawn, or even winning thanks to a chance item spawn. That stuff is OP - and to relate to your reply, Krazy, exactly why I want MK gone...or to be less harsh, seriously nerfed priority-wise. But, he's the boss of Smash, I trust what he says. ;)

And I agree with him. You don't want Meta Knight gone, you want his outstanding factors to. To say "MK needs to go" instead is way too blunt. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the actual character, and saying "I don't want him here" sounds like Playground talk. Nerfing him or buffing all others is the way to go.

Right and that's exactly why we can turn items on/off ^^

Now if only we could turn off stage hazards...

EeveeChan

Is FINALLY out of school!
ERMAHGERD I'M SO EXCITEDD!!!!!!!! MEGAMAN AND CUTE PIKACHU & SMEXY LINK AND....Animal Crossing Villager? Didn't see that coming! That's almost as surprising as Sonic coming out of no where and joining the Subspace Emissary at the last minute.
I am sooo getting both of the versions!!!:xd: I just hope they have Zelda in there too.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom