• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and 3DS

Krazy4Krash

Staff member
News links, Samus' description and all character renders have been added to the OP.

It is at this time I'd like to ask anybody who has anything to say or point out in regards to what we've seen that I've failed to mention so far. Thanks, and don't worry about me announcing further updates too often. I don't want to be spammy...

A Link In Time

To Overcome Harder Challenges
ZD Legend
Sakurai on single player:

The developer is also planning an update to the game's single-player content, but will take a different approach this time.

"There will be a single player [campaign], but it won't be like the [Subspace Emissary] mode in Brawl," Sakurai explained. That game's adventure mode offered a series of unlockable movies that explained the Subspace Emissary plot. "One thing we can do with the Smash Bros. series that's unique to us — because we have all these different disparate characters brought together — is we can create that sort of fan-movie experience as a special gift. But now those things are posted on the internet, it doesn't really become a gift for people who played the game."

"WE HAVE NO PLANS FOR DOWNLOADABLE CONTENT"

"What we decided this time around, we're just going to have [those movies unlocked] from the beginning," Sakurai said. "We're going to have a movie for Wii Fit Trainer, The Villager and Mega Man and they'll be viewable right at the beginning, you can watch those right away.

New Super Smash Bros. removes tripping; game speed between Brawl and Melee | Polygon

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
No SSE-like mode? That sucks to hear, I enjoyed that mug immensely atlhough I'm stuck in Great Maze atm :I

Still is interesting to see what'll come up tho.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
SSE was nice except for some obvious favoritism--*cough*--KIRBY!

Nothing wrong with Kirby...he's badass. I don't see the favoritism, it's just logical that he'd have the biggest role. :rolleyes:

But yeah, what could Sakurai possibly do next? I'd hate to see a regression to Melee's Adventure Mode..

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
What if we had a shorter Adventure Mode like Melee's unique to each character? I'd like that.

Y'know I was just gonna say that...but I wonder if it'd be too much work?

Perhaps characters stories can even connect? It could be universal or per series (like Mario and Luigi's or Link and Ganondorf's)

Krazy4Krash

Staff member
Adventure Mode in Melee was trash. The Subspace Emissary was legendary. The levels were real nice, but the story and cutscenes are what set it for me. I was hoping for a successor of some form in SSB4, such as stories that change depending on who you play as or who you save. I don't know what to expect given Sakurai's vague clues, but a non-SSE like experience makes me speculative.

Article added to the OP. Thanks, ALIT. ;)

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
Time for some Samus speculation. :kirby:

Samus in her latest Smash incarnation is interesting to to talk about, because she's had some pretty notable changes over the past couple games. In Brawl, her speed was significantly reduced from that of the original Smash and Melee while in Power Suit form, and her Final Smash would destroy her Power Suit, making her Zero Suit Samus, a form much less powerful, but with a crapton more speed and all-new moves. And, of course, Zero Suit Samus's Final Smash reformed her Power Suit.

Now, in Smash Bros. 4 -- I'm aware the actual names are "for 3DS" and "for Wii U", but I'd much rather not type all that out -- she's been given the Other M treatment for her look with a few minor alterations, and her gameplay style seems to have been sped up, although whether it's straight-up original Smash/Melee speed or a mix between them and Brawl is not quite clear yet, what with the gameplay footage shown of her being all of about 5 seconds. We did see her use her Final Smash, but we didn't see her Power Suit break from it, since the footage jumped over to Villager before we could, but I can't see developers removing Zero Suit Samus. I can't confirm that she'll return, but until we get further word, I'll be acting under the assumption that she'll be making another appearance.

However, it's a mystery as to whether or not the suit will indeed break because of this. Will we be seeing Zero Suit Samus as her own character, or will it remain the same as in Brawl? Will we see a sort of Zelda/Shiek thing going on where Samus is now given the ability to switch at any time? It's a possible change. After all, off-screen footage of a match at the showfloor of Nintendo's E3 booth has revealed that Mario has been given the F.L.U.D.D. from Super Mario Sunshine, at least in the Wii U version. (Warning, the live announcer in that video is annoying as mess.) Whatever the case, it's interesting to be able to speculate about this sort of thing. It's not something I would have been expected to be speculatable (if that's even a word).

That seems to be about it for now, at least involving the major stuff. If I've missed out on anything, let me know.

Last edited:

Krazy4Krash

Staff member
We did see her use her Final Smash, but we didn't see her Power Suit break from it, since the footage jumped over to Villager before we could, but I can't see developers removing Zero Suit Samus. I can't confirm that she'll return, but until we get further word, I'll be acting under the assumption that she'll be making another appearance.

However, it's a mystery as to whether or not the suit will indeed break because of this. Will we be seeing Zero Suit Samus as her own character, or will it remain the same as in Brawl? Will we see a sort of Zelda/Shiek thing going on where Samus is now given the ability to switch at any time? It's a possible change. After all, off-screen footage of a match at the showfloor of Nintendo's E3 booth has revealed that Mario has been given the F.L.U.D.D. from Super Mario Sunshine, at least in the Wii U version. (Warning, the live announcer in that video is annoying as mess.) Whatever the case, it's interesting to be able to speculate about this sort of thing. It's not something I would have been expected to be speculatable (if that's even a word).

Great post. I too am very speculative about the execution of Zero Suit Samus. I'm not that big a fan of how it's done in Brawl, although it is rather clever. I'm poor as ZSS, and even though I'm great as Samus, I need to hold off using a Zero Laser for the sake of not sucking in a match afterwards...

If the execution as per Brawl were to return, I'd be cool with that. Matter of fact, that's what I expect. Sakurai must have intentionally left her stripped form out of what we've seen so far just to mess with our heads.

10ih1s9.jpg

Who's that chick in the bottom right corner? :samus: She has to be returning if she's in this whiteboard drawing posted on Sakurai's twitter, right? RIGHT?
What I'd personally like is to be able to change at the menu, identical to that of Zelda/Shiek and Squirtle/Ivysaur/Charizard by clicking on them, and that's it. Perhaps a move to change at will mid-game, or the same easter egg that was in Brawl (mashing up and down taunts). However, I can't see them getting rid of the bombs for that. Besides, Samus' bombs have already been confirmed for Smash 4. Guess the Zero Laser transformation is returning, then.

Last edited:

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
Who's that chick in the bottom right corner? :samus: She has to be returning if she's in this whiteboard drawing posted on Sakurai's twitter, right? RIGHT?

That's clearly a Brawl montage, though. Probably a fan art that he saw and liked, therefore tweeted. (You might know that for yourself, though, and were just being silly.)

Perhaps a move to change at will mid-game, or the same easter egg that was in Brawl (mashing up and down taunts). However, I can't see them getting rid of the bombs for that. Besides, Samus' bombs have already been confirmed for Smash 4. Guess the Zero Laser transformation is returning, then.

Surely you don't think that Down + B would be the only way to transform. SSB4 has received clickable analog sticks and two extra shoulder buttons on the Wii U. There's a lot more that can be done than in past games for more reasons than the new HD hardware. Sure, the 3DS version doesn't have all these features, but Sakurai hasn't really talked about the 3DS version, so we don't know whether or not the touchscreen won't have a role in the action unlike with the Wii U version (multiplayer on the 3DS is restricted to online, balancing would not be an issue). Although they way Sakurai said it, it's very likely the 3DS won't feature touch either, which I think would be kind of a waste, ultimately limiting the game's options in comparison to the Wii U version.

Besides, it's entirely possible to make it to where HOLDING Down + B would cause the transformation (should it be a factor). It's something I think could have been used for Link in Brawl to transform into Wolf Link, even though I never actually expected it to happen.

What I'd personally like is to be able to change at the menu like seen for Zelda/Shiek and Squirtle/Ivysaur/Charizard by clicking on them, and that's it.

If nothing else, I'd definitely like to see that. Being able to start as Shiek was glorious after Melee, so being able to do so as Samus, what with her transformation being a lot more cumbersome, would be a god-send.

Last edited:

Krazy4Krash

Staff member
That's clearly a Brawl montage, though. Probably a fan art that he saw and liked, therefore tweeted. (You might know that for yourself, though, and were just being silly.)

Brawl montage? Yeah, but that's not fan art. Sakurai's staff drew that pic.

https://twitter.com/Sora_Sakurai/status/219759606463864832/photo/1

Surely you don't think that Down + B would be the only way to transform. SSB4 has received clickable analog sticks and two extra shoulder buttons on the Wii U. There's a lot more that can be done than in past games for more reasons than the new HD hardware. Sure, the 3DS version doesn't have all these features, but Sakurai hasn't really talked about the 3DS version, so we don't know whether or not the touchscreen won't have a role in the action unlike with the Wii U version (multiplayer on the 3DS is restricted to online, balancing would not be an issue).

Besides, it's entirely possible to make it to where HOLDING Down + B would cause the transformation (should it be a factor). It's something I think could have been used for Link in Brawl to transform into Wolf Link, even though I never actually expected it to happen.

Well yeah, I've thought about touch-screen transformation buttons for a while. With Sakurai putting that to rest, I don't know what to think. It should definitely be done in the 3DS game, where every player is guaranteed to have access to a touch screen, but in the Wii U game, I understand. Other controllers wouldn't have such an advantage. A mere transformation button would surely be able to be incorporated to a regular controller, though. Now that I think about it, I don't see why this very button couldn't be used on the gamepad buttons too... Whatever. It's already been confirmed the game won't support the gamepad touch screen, so me saying any of this is pointless. =/

We mustn't forget customisable controls are a certainty. A general "transformation" button would be nice, I guess. The player could set it to whichever button they desire. I'd go for the select button, honestly. I'd prefer it to be out of the way and reserve my triggers for grab and shield buttons.

Holding down an already existing special move to transform is not something I can imagine doing. I don't see why it would need to be incorporated to an existing combination, anyway. We both know the Wii U has all those buttons, so equipping the move to a unique button would be best of. It surely would be able to be disabled in the options or something, but honestly, I think that idea of holding a combination that does something else entirely is silly.

If nothing else, I'd definitely like to see that. Being able to start as Shiek was glorious after Melee, so being able to do so as Samus, what with her transformation being a lot more cumbersome, would be a god-send.

Good to hear.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
You know, they should really integrate the Circle Pad Pro into the 3DS ver.; that thing is such a waste of money as-is and I just can't take that :? anymore. :I It's this uglyass block in my drawer that never comes out because I never play REvelations or KH3D. :I

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom