• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Super Smash Bros. Brawl Tournament!

Hey guys, as you can see I have decided to host a Super Smash Bros. Tournament. Recently I have been talking to two other members, Steve and Ver-go, and they said they'd join, so I believe that we could get several more members to join. We are aiming to gain 32 members as it's a nice figure to acquire and start the tournament with (although the number may be a little high). We will be playing by standard Brawl tournament rules to, although they can be a little hard to grasp at first, so sorry if I don't explain them to well. However, here is a link to Smash Wiki explaining the rules.

Here are the basic rules to start off with:

- Each match will be a stock match, in which each player will have 3 lives.
- Standard tournament rules for Brawl usually state that there will be an 8 minute time limit, but that's while the hosts can easily confirm each brawlers remaining stock and damage percentage, we however can not. Therefore, myself and Steve believe that having a time limit will encourage stalling time once a brawler has taken the lead. And in the event of the time running out, we believe that it will encourage lying by brawlers about their remaining lives and damage percentage to.
- All items will be turned off and will be set to none during matches. This is due to the fact items can too easily change the tide of a battle through luck, and thus is not showing a brawlers skill, e.g. Smash Ball, Poke Ball, Assist Trophy, Hammer, Bombs...etc.
- Every match will be a 1 v 1 match.
- Matches up to the semi-finals will be best of 3, the final however, will be best of 5.
- If a brawler causes a problem that stops the match from proceeding and can not fix it, they automatically forfeit their match.

Gameplay rules:

- Meta Knight's Infinite Dimensional Cape is banned, as it allows for the brawler to be impervious to damage for as long as the brawler can correctly uphold the technique. The technique allows for the brawler to quickly attack to, and if the attack lands, they can rather quickly resume the technique.
- If both players have one life remaining, but the match is ended by a sacrificial KO (only possible by using Ganondorf's Flame Choke or Bowser's Flying Slam), the brawler that initiated the sacrificial KO is the victor, completely ignoring Sudden Death.
- Although this doesn't really matter since we have taken away the time limit, some people may stall so that the other brawler will get bored and quit (however unlikely). Chain grabbing to high amounts of damage, usually around 300%.

Set Format:

1 - Both players will choose their character for the first game. However, either player may request a double blind pick, in which case I will decide the characters.
2 - The first stage is selected randomly from the neutral stages (Refer to the section about stages and their categories. Do this for the following two points to).
3 - Both players may choose to ban one counter-pick stage to be banned for the match. This only occurs after the first round.
4 - The loser of the first match of the round will get to choose the counter-pick map for the next round. There is a rule for this though, and it's known as Dave's Stupid Rule. As the link shows you there are several variations of this rule. We will be using this form of the variation, quote from Smash Wiki "The most common variation of Dave's Stupid Rule is that a player cannot pick a stage they have won on during the round in question. Therefore, under this variation, the Falco player would be free to pick Final Destination for the second game. However, imagine that Final Destination was the randomly selected neutral stage. The Falco player wins, so the Ike player counterpicks Battlefield. Ike wins game two. Now, the Falco player gets to pick the next stage, but because s/he won on Final Destination, s/he can't pick it again."
5 - Then the brawlers basically repeat the steps, however, once you have chosen a character, you are NOT allowed to change it until the end of the round.

Stages:

Stages can be divided into 3 seperate categories; Neutral, Counter-pick and Banned. I'll try to explain what classifies stages into each category and which stages are in which categories to.

Neutral stages are the only stages available for brawling on during the first match of the round. However, there are several maps that are classed as both counter-pick and neutral. For the purpose of this tournament though, we will merge this group into neutral maps as well as counter picks, just to remove the category. The points that make a stage a neutral stage are (according to t1mmy from Allisbrawl:

- Averaged sized boundaries. Therefore, the map can't be too big or too small.
- At least of solid floor of appropriate length.
- No vertical walls or solid ceilings (Against my protest :().
- No walk of ledges.
- No screen scrolling.
- No environmental damage.
- No stage elements that disrupt competitive play.

Counter-pick stages are stages that can be chosen by the loser of the first and second matches of the round. Obviously from the name counter picks you can deduce that it is the losers counter at gaining an advantage in the next stage to help win the second round (although there are rules against the winner of a match in play that states that if a player won on a stage, they are not allowed to choose the map as a counter-pick until the next round). Since the points for a map being counter-play changes greatly, I won't post any points that classify a stage in a certain category.

Finally, a stage classified as banned has clearly been banned from play to several point such as:

- Contains "Walk off edges" (allowing brawlers to grab the opponent and chuck them off easily). E.g. Mario Circuit.
- Has one or more vertical walls. E.g. Shadow Moses Island.
- Excessive screen scrolling or stage transformation. E.g. Rumble Falls.
- Has major environmental damage. E.g. Luigi's Mansion.
- Has a design that encourages camping or stalling. E.g. Temple.
- Contains stage elements disruptive to gameplay. E.g. Norfair.

Not all stages go by these though as the info I am using has been taken from two different sources, so it won't completely work together. So continuing, here is the list of stages and their categories...

Neutral:

Battlefield
Castle Siege
Final Destination
Halberd
Lylat Cruise
Pokemon Stadium (Melee)
Smashville

Counter-pick:

Brinstar (Melee)
Delfino Plaza
Distant Planet
Frigate Orpheon
Green Greens (Melee)
Jungle Japes (Melee)
Hanenbow
Luigi's Mansion
Norfair
Pictochat
Pirate Ship
Port Town Aero Dive
Pokemon Stadium 2
Yoshi's Island
Yoshi's Island (Melee)

Banned:

75M
Big Blue (Melee)
Bridge of Eldin
Corneria (Melee)
Flat Zone 2
Green Hill Zone
Mario Bros.
Mario Circuit
Mushroomy Kingdom 1-1 and 1-2
New Pork City
Onett (Melee)
Rainbow Cruise (Melee)
Rumble Falls
Shadow Moses Island
Skyworld
Spear Pillar
Summit
Temple (Melee)
WarioWare, Inc.
All Sample Stages.

So if you would like to join, please post your FC in this thread and I'll add you to the list. The actual tournament itself however will be made in another thread.

Brawlers FC's:

Durion:
Steve:
Master Kokiri 9: 0474 7884 9547
yann: 1462 1120 5168
TreeHuggerPanda: 4983 4613 6985
Dungeon killer0: 3395 2213 6733
Beeker: 4339 3435 3018
VembersWind: 3051 9921 4893

Can people also state what days they will not be available please. This allows for myself and Steve to make sure the roster allows for everyone to be available for each round.

This is only an announcement thread, and also an FAQ, so please ask any questions here please.

Last edited:

Master Kokiri 9

The Dungeon Master
Oh, heck YES! I love Brawl, and an online Tournament will be absolutely awesome! My only concern is that my internet may lag a little bit. Oh well, hopefully it won't be too bad. I'll get my Friend Code up soon, so be warned. Oh, and remember: I'm an epic BEAST when I got my best character on my side.

MK9's Friend Code: 0474 7884 9547

Last edited:

yann

TheBitterDubstepMan
I'm up for a friendly little tournament.
I'll add my code a little later as four oclock in the morning is abit early for me to be switching onthe Wii.

However, you said that you want hopefully 32, but on the codes thread there are only 27 registered members. Got to hope that some members haven't registered their codes!

My code is: 1462 1120 5168
Add me guys, and let's get this tournament going!

Last edited:
I'm up for a friendly little tournament.
I'll add my code a little later as four oclock in the morning is abit early for me to be switching onthe Wii.

However, you said that you want hopefully 32, but on the codes thread there are only 27 registered members. Got to hope that some members haven't registered their codes!

Well, luckily, I am one of them xD and thanks for counting yann, saves me a job. Yeah, 32 may be a large number to reach, but it's because it's half of 64, the usual tournament number for Brawl (I think). So it's a nice number to get.

yann

TheBitterDubstepMan
Well, luckily, I am one of them xD and thanks for counting yann, saves me a job. Yeah, 32 may be a large number to reach, but it's because it's half of 64, the usual tournament number for Brawl (I think). So it's a nice number to get.

Yeah I think 32 is a nice round number. Oh man, I'm looking forward to this tournament now! Gives me a reason to reach for the Wii again!

TreeHuggerPanda

The tree hugger of Hyrule
Well, I might be away from my wii for the whole summer except on the weekends, but I might be able to drag my wii along with me, but just in case, would you mind scheduling the tournaments on the weekends? If not, I guess I'll just sit out on this round.

But yes, I'm in! Hopefully most people live in the midwest or the east coast, so it doesn't really lag...

EDIT

Here's my friend code: 4983-4613-6985

Last edited:
D

Dungeon killer0

Oh cool something not boring to do, besides the forums, you can count me in as well.
Friend Code: 3395-2213-6733
We can use any character right?

Beeker

Wild Card
Woo! I 've been waiting to see if anyone else wanted to play in a tournament, count me in!
This means I REALLY will need to brush up and improve my skills(I still think I'm a noob). And even if I'm not the best SSBB player, I won't mind because I'll get to play with all you guys in some(friendly?) competition:D

Here's my Friend Code:4339-3435-3018

awesome! a tournament! i'm in! i'll post my friend code later.

wait, i have a question about counterpicks if i won one match on final destination, then the other guy counter picked battlefield and he won there, would i be able to pick battlefield because i lost? (sorry for not knowing, this is my first tournament.)

my friend code:3051-9921-4893
if any one wants to brawl before the tournament, look me up ;)

Last edited:
awesome! a tournament! i'm in! i'll post my friend code later.

wait, i have a question about counterpicks if i won one match on final destination, then the other guy counter picked battlefield and he won there, would i be able to pick battlefield because i lost? (sorry for not knowing, this is my first tournament.)

my friend code:3051-9921-4893
if any one wants to brawl before the tournament, look me up ;)

Yes, you can because you can only choose stages YOU haven't already won on, so you wouldn't be able to choose Final Destination as your counter-pick.

An answer to another member is unknown, we do not know at what point we will have enough members to be able to start.

Epwna

The epic turnip king
Cool, I'll play! But I have a question, can you only use one character? I'll edit this post once I find my FC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom