• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Subrosia = Hell?

bbevington90

The Mask Salesman
So, I was playing OoS and realized in the opening part of the game, it shows General Onox sink the Temple of Seasons into the ground, which was my first thought of this idea. It also combines with the fact that Subrosia itself is a very fiery place with lava pools, and a very dim atmosphere. The people themselves that live there (the Subrosians) don't really have much to them. They are just cloaked figures with sad faces. My thought was that the cloak was supposed to be a shape of a spirit or ghost, and the sad faces on them could suggest they're sadness towards being dead. Also, if General Onox sent the Temple of Seasons there, it would be meant as a curse, and if it was just moved to another place on the planet it wouldn't screw up the weather.

What do you guys think? Am I just thinking too much into this?

It's an interesting observation, but I really don't think Subrosia was intended to be hell as much as an underground location. It doesn't really have many flaws, but there is not much evidence to back it up either. Sometimes its better not to look so much into things like this.
That being said, it is an interesting topic of conversation, but doesn't really need to be debated on a level of canonicity. Although it is fine to believe it as canon, there is not much evidence to disprove any other views either. It all just boils down to a matter of opinion.

PhantomTriforce

I am a Person of Interest
Well, the natives aren't enemies or evil, which what I would expect if hell was depicted. The many lava pits and active volcanoes do suggest hell. Also, if the General of Darkness was fought in the Subrosia instead of Holodrum, it would have had a stronger sense of hell, IMO. So no, I don't really think it is hell, but you have an interesting point there.

DuckNoises

Gone (Wind) Fishin'
I honestly think it is intended to appear as a "hellish" environment for initial effect, but I think there is intentional irony in the fact that its inhabitants are generally very amicable and whimsical. A lot of them focus on appearance versus reality; take the Sign Maker. He nags you if you break signs, and if you break enough, he makes it look like your Gameboy has reset by playing the Gameboy power-on logo and part of the opening cinematic. He then proceeds to give you a ring. I think this is a good example that it's intended to look like an unpleasant area, but once you bother to look around, that's not really the case.

ironknuckle1

Archer Extraordinaire
It's an interesting observation, but I really don't think Subrosia was intended to be hell as much as an underground location. It doesn't really have many flaws, but there is not much evidence to back it up either. Sometimes its better not to look so much into things like this.
That being said, it is an interesting topic of conversation, but doesn't really need to be debated on a level of canonicity. Although it is fine to believe it as canon, there is not much evidence to disprove any other views either. It all just boils down to a matter of opinion.

I agree with what bradley says that their are many similarities but that sometimes when you look to far into certain things because it most likely was things such as the sinking of the temple of seasons seems to be more of just a dramatic game element to make the player go "WHAT??".

Mikau94

Zora Warrior
I don't think subrosia is hell. The natives enjoy were they live. In the bible and other religous books, there is a verse about it that says

"he will be cast into the darkness, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth"

Considering this, nobody is crying, or burning and they can escape if they want, there is no escape from hell.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
You're thinking too much. The people of Subrosia were pretty happy, they even found that pieces of hearts (weren't they called peaches in Subby?) were things to eat. They took bathes (which they enjoyed) in LAVA, I can't say that it is Hell or anything like it. The only thing that resembles Hell is...Rosa.

bbevington90

The Mask Salesman
You're thinking too much.

It's funny, because I actually made this thread out of pure reactionary reasons without thinking about it at all :xd:. I saw the cutscene and I was like "OH HAI IT WENT INTO DA GROUND! IT GOTZ TO BE HELL RITE?" The more I thought I about it, the more I agree with everyone else, it's definitely not hell. It's probably just an underground society or another dimension or something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom