• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Stone Mask

Masks play a very big role in Majora's Mask. One of the most interesting masks in the game is the Stone Mask. When Link puts the Stone Mask on he can walk around enemies without being seen(except for enemies you have to fight).

So how do you think the Stone Mask works? My theory is that when Link puts the Stone Mask on a cloaking spell is activated that makes Link invisible so that enemies can't see him.
So what do other people think about this mysterious mask?

CZG

That sounds more reasonable that actually turning into stone.
I don't think the game itself explains anything did it?

I'm replaying MM right now, but I still have to do the ranch and the whole beach, so it'll take some time to go check it out...

CZG

If you'd turn into stone, your unborn uncle Link has to use the not yet excisting forged four swords beam on you?
Or something complicated at least...

Apple

Crazy Cookie
I thought that it made you like a stone, not standing out from the landscape, just being there doing nothing. Not actually a stone, so pretty much invisible, like you said.

CZG

The stone masks camo works pretty good in the forest or at the beach too..
No simple camo stuff, I think.

Did all the masks have things sealed inside them in MM? I don't remember they did...
The Garo mask WAS kinda magical, seeing ghosts from Ikana. This wasn't a real transformation mask, but I did something. So, the stone mask contains something too I think...

What makes a young lad run faster? Yes, give HIM? bunny ears!
Pretty much all the masks seem to be some kind of magical.

I thought that it made you like a stone, not standing out from the landscape, just being there doing nothing. Not actually a stone, so pretty much invisible, like you said.

The Stone Mask acts like a camoflauge mask. It basically blends Link in with his surroundings.
You both are mostly correct. The game actually did explain how it works. Basically it makes Link dull and unnoticeable. Not stone, invisible, or camouflaged. He just becomes do boring and dull that no one (no one normal anyway) would notice him even if he's moving and therefore he might as well be invisible. ;)

Did all the masks have things sealed inside them in MM? I don't remember they did...
The Garo mask WAS kinda magical, seeing ghosts from Ikana. This wasn't a real transformation mask, but I did something. So, the stone mask contains something too I think...

What makes a young lad run faster? Yes, give HIM? bunny ears!
Pretty much all the masks seem to be some kind of magical.
Not all of them had things sealed inside them, no. Not all of them were magical either (although this was true for most of them). There were a bunch that had stuff sealed inside them, though. Most of the time is was emotions and such, but once or twice it was a curse, like with the Gibdo Mask.

The Garo Mask wasn't necessarily magical. It wasn't that Link could see the ghosts (because he could see Poes without it, after all), it was that the Garo would reveal themselves to him because he looked like one of them. And the Stone Mask is just such a dull mask that it makes you unnoticeable. Theoretically that could be because of magic, but it could also just be a horribly boring mask. :xd:

Zemen

[Insert Funny Statement]
I would agree that it's more of a camo thing than a cloaking thing. Kinda the same thing I guess but more of a blending in with your surroundings while still being visible.

Random Person

Just Some Random Person
You guys are really close to what I'm thinking but I'm ancy because your not including sound in your descriptions, unless I missed something. The Gerudos can here when Link walks and they turn to see what it is, but they don't do this when he wears the mask. I think that the masks powers makes it so that Link is there, but the aura around him makes him as threatning looking as a rock on the floor. Its not that they can't see or hear him, but when they look at him or hear him its like looking at or hearing a rock, and they don't give him a second thought. That's why the villains he has to fight, like the Gerudo upper class fighters, fight him, because they know how to look past appearances. Though he does not look threatning, they are not deceived.

P.S. Axel are you everywhere? I've noticed you in like every thread I've been to.
Don't answer that. :)

Octo Rocked

Dr. Octorokapus BLAAAAAH!
Like Axel said, it's because the Stone Mask just makes you so mind-numbingly boring that no one important notices you. Why this is is uncertain. Probably because it's kinda funny.

Din Akera

Sniper
I agree with Axel. The solider that you get it from says something along the lines of being always unnoticed. The stone mask gives you the same state. You simply are so dull that no one notices you.

P

Pablo

This is a real skill which I have, look like you know what you're doing, and act busy, and people ignore you. Don't look suspicious, and people won't think you're suspicious. However this seems, or at least you people are suggesting, to work the other way, which does NOT work in real life.

Just a few things to take into account
~~Pablo

Last edited by a moderator:

yann

TheBitterDubstepMan
I think, it's Nintendo adding humour to an already pessimistic game.
I mean seriously, how stupid would an enemy have to be to not notice a rock is walking around in a green tunic and pink, fleshy legs.
Why would a mask of a Stalchild make aload of Redead do a silly dance.
I think some of the masks added humour to the game aswell as their own special abilities, I mean you have to admit Link does look hilarious when we wears the great fairy mask!

Pinecove

Last Chance
Like Axel said, it's because the Stone Mask just makes you so mind-numbingly boring that no one important notices you. Why this is is uncertain. Probably because it's kinda funny.

Supported by in game texts:

That is a fine mask.
It is filled with an appreciation
for things that go unnoticed.

You got the Stone Mask!
Wear it with (C) to become as
plain as stone.

The mask makes you simply become unnoticeable.

This is why we have those lovely theorizing resources I posted people.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom