• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Sony Copies Nintendo Yet Again.

Onilink89

Nyanko Sensei
Sony just realized that there is a much more simple solution for 3D rather then to put on some funky glasses
But the fact is, nintendo has proven that they (yet again) have the innovation to solve these in a simple and effective way.

So if Sony really develops a screen thats similar to the 3DS, then yeah thats stealing.

There completly coping the 3DS now.3D Tv's that don't need special glasses.Sony needs to come up with thier own ideas

Bull****. 3D technology that doesn't require glasses has been around for a while, namely Holographic technology. The 3DS will likely use autostereoscopy.

Wikipedia said:
Autostereoscopy is any method of displaying stereoscopic images without the use of special headgear or glasses on the part of the viewer. It includes two broad classes of displays: those that use head-tracking to ensure that each of the viewer's two eyes sees a different image on the screen, and those that display multiple views so that the display does not need to know where the viewers' eyes are[1]. Examples of autostereoscopic displays include parallax barrier, lenticular, volumetric, electro-holographic, and light field displays.

http://www.mrl.nyu.edu/~perlin/demos/autostereo.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autostereoscopy
http://holophile.com/history.htm

Just because Nintendo uses a technology doesn't mean no one else can.

Kybyrian

Heh... saying that Sony is completely copying the 3DS by making 3-D technology that doesn't use glasses is like saying Microsoft copied the other companies by making a gaming system. It's just a type of technology that's available, and they can use it if they want. As long as it's not just a replica of the 3DS, which it won't be.

Master Kokiri 9

The Dungeon Master
It's not copying. If they made a PSP with two screens, a touch screen, gyro sensors or something like that, and 3D movie effects, THEN they'd be stealing. But they aren't, they're just using a type of technology that's been around for a bit and trying to improve off of it.

Also, my prediction is that this will crash and burn. HDTV's are just starting to catch on, and then Sony decides to try for 3DTV's without the glasses. You know, there's a reason things like the Power Glove and the Virtual Boy failed. It was because they were too ahead of their time and the technology just wasn't sufficient enough. I'll bet that this will be the same thing. Either they fail horribly and all that research and development goes to waste, they produce a crappy product, or the product will be good and end up being too dang expensive to make a profit off of.

Heck, about a month ago, I was at Best Buy or something (I can't precisely remember the name of the store, but it was an Electronics Store) and I saw 3DTV's that used the 3D glasses priced at I believe somewhere in the high thousands range, like 5000 or 6000 dollars. Imagine if Sony tried to make a 3DTV that didn't use the glasses, they'd probably get into the tens of thousands of dollars or they'd end up making it too cheap to make a profit off it.

Phlegm

Bake me a pie!
This is hilarious. One of the guys who works for Sony said that Nintendo shouldn't bash 3-D glasses. Now they're doing it themselves!

The 3DS is supposed to revolutionize 3-D as we know it, and I guess Sony wants to as well! Nothing wrong with that!

DuckNoises

Gone (Wind) Fishin'
Technically, I don't think they're copying Nintendo this time. Mainly because I don't think that a 3D, no-glasses TV will work. :P
I don't see how they could make 3D work for multiple people without 3D glasses, which I presume is the whole point of their excursion.

TheGreen

is climbin' in yo windows
They're not copying Nintendo.
I believe that there are other 3D capable tv's out there. If Sony was copying anyone it'd be a television company, not Nintendo.

Steve

5/19/13
Nintendo didn't invent the technology, in fact it has technically existed for years. The new phone, the Samsung GalaxyS uses stereoscopic technology.

It doesn't matter if they're copying them or not. I suppose computers shouldn't have use the GUI because they would have been 'ripping off Apple'. Sorry if I sound harsh, it is a step forward for 3D, and certain things need to be done, whether somebody else did them first or not. Sorry, 2 stars for this thread.

Same with evry1, they arent copying Nintendo, but I still...dislike...( trying not to say hate:xd: ) Sony. They are just... annoying to me. What I (and my cousin) believe is that they copied the Wii with their stupid Sony Move. And i also heard that the Move isnt as good as the Wii(i mean capabilities) and still costs more. Sony seems a little overrated too. Same with Microsoft, but they are WAY better than Sony. Sorry if i went a little off topic there :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom