• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Something That Bothers Me About Legend of Zelda Games.....

r2d93

Hero of the Stars
The Legend of Zelda is my favorite franchise in video games ever. I've beaten most of them excluding the four swords games and i've never finished oracle of seasons.

But it KILLS me when after you beat the final boss, have a mini freak out of excitement, get sad about the game being over - and then enter the same save file again to find what?

link at the last save point with some helper saying "lets go save the princess"
I love zelda but i personally hate that once it is completed you cant do any post-game adventuring.

Sure you can return to your last save point and venture around the land collecting items but all of the people are still panicked about the kidnapped princess/ monster/ yadayada. I would enjoy for a change to be able to venture around a peaceful overworld and see some reactions of the characters and how everything is coming back together. A reason why i love the windwaker so much is that after you finish the initial quest, the same save file isnt your last save, but rather a new quest with minor clever tweaks.

I don't know. Just a little pet peeve. Opinions?

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
This is a problem I've noticed too. Granted, with Hyrule already saved you'd expect to see some added features. As an example, the villain may not have died after all, and he/she is about to unleash some spell to eradicate whatever realm the story is set in. Or--as a better feature--you unlock a multi-player co-op system, in which you and whoever else playing have determined tasks you need to complete in order to move on, sort of like a Four Swords scenario. And stuff like this that would take the player even further into the game in the second+ playthrough.

But Nintendo seems to be implementing this already. After beating Wind Waker you're able to go through it again, as a comical effect, wearing Link's pajamas the entire time. And in Skyward Sword
a process known as Hero's Mode is unlocked, similar to the original LoZ's second quest. In it enemies do double-damage very seldom drop hearts.
While the majority of 3D games aren't yet opened to this, I'm sure the Big N is seeking out new ways to immerse the player once they restart after the credits roll.

G

GreenKangaroo

I wish that there was almost another story/adventure to do at the end once you've triggered some event. If that was possible, I would continue to play the game as soon as I've triggered the new story and finished that. Also it would be better that A) the monsters and the dungeons became harder :cool: the dungeons were hidden in the least expected places C) Link gains new abilities etc D) the treat was different to the origanal. These added in to a Legend of zelda game would help the series be getting more people into zelda.

Night Owl

~Momentai
Pokemon has a ton of stuff to do after the credits roll.

It would be cool if the land stayed saved after the credits in zelda. but there would be a portal to a second mini adventure in another land, It should be so hard that even hardcore zelda fans have trouble beating it.

Or what if there was a place you could connect to the internet and have 1 on 1 sword duels, or even a melee with other players.

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
The very first Zelda game is like that - You finish the game, then there's the infamous Second Quest - a version of the game you just played, starting out from three hearts again, that's much harder. Dungeons and overworld items are not in their original locations and are more difficult to find and there are enemies that didn't show up until the 5th or 6th dungeon showing up in the second or third. It's very, very hard.

In fact, when I first finished Wind Waker, I felt cheated that the "second quest" on it was just going through the game with the fun islander clothes and Translated Ancient Hylian. I wanted to have dungeons mixed up and harder fights.

I think something that could be great to do with a Zelda game's finish / bonus level is like the thing that happens in "Shadow of the Colossus." In that game, you finish, see the end sequence, credits roll, then you're able to start the game anew with the noted exception of the ability to challenge the bosses at will by bowing to their shrines. For every two defeated within a time-limit, you get a shiny new weapon/object. It doesn't do much except cosmetics, but it's still fun to be able to challenge fights out of sequence and meet up with favorite Colossi right away instead of just re-playing the regular game. Plus there's an optional "Hard Mode."

I think Zelda can stand to do stuff like that - and go back to its roots with a built in "Hard Mode / Master Quest."

Though "just new things to explore" could be fun, too, with NPCs knowing you're the Hero and thanking you for saving them from Ganondorf and such as you seek new and interesting treasures and mini-adventures.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I disagree with you there, if you can continue a game after the big baddie is defeated, the game loses it's impact. You will stop then because you are bored of wandering around a world devoid of things to do, because you sorted out the problems. If you leave a game out of boredom, that is not good at all. Although Zelda games end after you complete them you feel a sense of achievement that that game is actually complete and there is nothing more to do. You can then replay it or wait for a new game.

Draymorath

Destroyer of Destruction
You're absolutely right. Although I did enjoy wandering around the TP Hyrule for hours and hours and hours, I DID eventually get bored of it (believe it or not). I would like to see a change in the game after you beat the insane psychopath of whichever game you played.

P

pfr_77

I had a dream sort of like this when I was really into OoT as a kid. I was riding around Hyrule field at night and it was just like in the intro/title screen - everything was serene and the drawbridge into the castle/market was up and the darkness was gone from the land. Until I actually beat the game I could have sworn that a playable, post-ganon hyrule was actually a thing.

I mean, it's something like that... it was a long time ago and I can't remember specifically how it all added together but it did :P

I wish that Zelda would pick up on more post-storyline play.
For instance, in Fable, you can continue to adventure and complete quests, even after you've finished the main storyline. I would love to see that in a Zelda game.

I've always wanted to run around a peaceful Hyrule also. Its like you just spent so much time beating this boss for nothing. Thats the only thing i really hate about the Zelda series

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Actually, when you finish the Linked Game of OoX, you do get 'saved' post game Hyrule rather than the whole "panic! panic!". I believe it works even on a first playthrough non Linked.

But, I totally agree. Zelda games definitely need post game content, it's getting a bit old for "beat game, restart at last save point". Post game content a la Star Ocean 3's Maze of Tribulations and Sphere 211 could easily be implemented into Zelda releases. Post game content a la Final Fantasy XIII-2's ability to unlock multiple endings could also be implemented into Zelda. None of it takes much planning, although animation and coding costs obviously do rise. Zelda needs post game content :yes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom